Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I haven't decided yet

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I'm still buying the set

Votes: 100 87.7%

• Total voters

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I think that's what he meant. Otherwise, he wouldn't have written it as "the producers did want" and would likely have written "the producers wanted to."

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I've been thinking about how the Vincent Price episode was uncut on the time life release but not in this set. I wonder if Time-Life made certain deals with the owners of certain songs that either limited the time for song permission on the episodes, making them expire, or if Time-Life made a deal that the songs could only be incldued on the Time-Life releases (and Columbia versions, though the volume with the Vincent Price episode was skipped), therefore causing Disney to have to get the rights to each song a secodn time.
I've thought about that too. One of my theories is that since Timelife didn't release all the shows, they picked certian episodes where they didn't have to cut anything out. They do tend to own the rights to a lot of songs that are performed on TMS. Heck, when I was getting the TimeLife set of Muppet Shows they also sent me a whole set of country music CDs. Anyway, I guess Disney doesn't have the rights to quite as many songs as Time Life did. However, I think if Timelife had released all the shows, they might have made a few edits as well.

And of course the Disney DVD made other edits as well, specifically the first two Newsman bits. Also some eps are missing backstage material. Which is understandable since a lot of them mention the next number performed on the show. If that number is cut out, it wouldn't make much sense to mention it.

Still despite the edits I still enjoy watching the DVD and I look forward to when the next one comes out.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
And of course the Disney DVD made other edits as well, specifically the first two Newsman bits. Also some eps are missing backstage material. Which is understandable since a lot of them mention the next number performed on the show. If that number is cut out, it wouldn't make much sense to mention it.
As far as I know, the only completely edited backstage scene was the scene before the danceros act from the Jim Nabors episode, and ironically, that's the only cut scene from the first season that was included in The Muppet Show Book (though in the book the dialogue is changed to Scooter getting Kermit to let Mahna Mahna and the Snowths on-stage instead of Danceros).

Now that I think about it, since both news bits from the Joel Grey episode were cut because they weren't on the original masters, I wonder if any morsels were written for them. I'm sure that if Disney knew they were added after the masters were made they would have tried to include them (I wonder if jerry Juhl or Dave Goelz or any of the other morsels writers knew or remembered that those bits were included). Of course, I can't really think of anything about those skits that are worth writing morsels about except for the fact that they were added to the show later. The morsels would have probably given out some random fact about either The Newsman or Muppet News that could have been used anywhere.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Actually, I wasn't aware the Newsman bits were added later in the Joel Grey episode. I know the one in the Connie Stevens ep must have been since the News Man had his glasses and later voice and they didn't edit out that one. That's strange that they would keep that bit and edit out the other one.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
Actually, I wasn't aware the Newsman bits were added later in the Joel Grey episode. I know the one in the Connie Stevens ep must have been since the News Man had his glasses and later voice and they didn't edit out that one. That's strange that they would keep that bit and edit out the other one.
I guess for the first two epsiodes the DVD producers used the original masters for the broadcast versions, and not the original, unaired versiosn, which were different. It's too bad that those weren't included as bonus features, or if not complete shows, maybe they coudl have been on there as deleted/ altered scenes.

As for the cut news skits, I think that episode was produced and made to air when for soem reason they chose to make two news skits and put them in the episode before it aired. If you're wondering, The Newsman didn't wear glasses in either of those skits.

robinthefrog

Reaction score
Bought Season One on dvd and I must say, I loved it!
I was too young and missed the original runs of The Muppet Show on t.v. but I did catch the reruns and remember the show well. I love Mahna Mahna, great beginner on the first episode.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
You've earned your rubber chicken award for the day with that one, Kimp! :smile:

melissa@muppet

Reaction score
I HAVE JUST PURCHASED MUPPET SHOW SEASON ONE. I LOVE IT BUT I HAD NO IDEA SOME EPISODES ARE CUT. LOVE THE DVD HOPEFULLY THEY WON'T CUT ANY OUT OF SEASON TWO.

IF YOU ARE WONDERING WHY IT HAS TAKEN ME SO LONG TO PUCHASE IN AUSTRALIA WE DIDN'T HAVE IT RELEASED AT THE SAME TIME AS THE US.
EVERY TIME I WENT TO BUY IT THE SHOPS HAD NONE LEFT BUT I WAS LUCKY YESTERDAY AND FINALLY GOT A COPY.