Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I haven't decided yet

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I'm still buying the set

Votes: 100 87.7%

• Total voters

AAO

Reaction score
I plan to get The Muppet Show: Season One Box Set tommorow! I'm excited! I have all the Time-Life Videos, but there's certain episodes I'd love to see. Like, for instance, the Don Knotts episode....although it's later in the series...but Florence Henderson should be good and so should the others...I'm also exctied about the extra features. They should be awesome! I'm always interested in the extra features on DVD's..... :halo: Then, I'm off to buy "The Muppets Wizard of Oz" film and later, "Fraggle Rock: Season One Box Set"...Now, having all the Time-Life Videos, they could be good use to sell or just keep as a collection and wait til lthey're rare...LOL...oh well, that's the future

MrsPepper

Reaction score
What do you mean, remove the song? That's what they did. If you mean just remove the music, like say for the Danceros number, know how boring that would be?
All the sound but no picture or vice versa would be TERRIBLE (imho). It would be very disconcerting to watch an episode that way. If that is done, it's just shoving in your face the fact that's it's incomplete. if it's not there at all, you can't miss it as much.

Just to be clear, I never said I agreed with the cuts, I'm just forcing everyone to look at this rationally.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I'll be getting the Muppet Show dvd tomorrow. The first thing I'm checking out is the Sez and Viloence special.

ryan

That Announcer

Reaction score
MrBlud said:
It sucks the stuff is cut, but not buying the set is WAYYYY overreacting IMO.
Exactly. If you don't like the cuts, buy the set and watch everything else. Then take DW's suggestion, and loudly complain to Disney.

MrBlud said:
Why not simply remove the song or, failing that, all the sound but leave the picture?

That would've been preferable IMO.
Now, that's just silly. Sorry, but that really doesn't make any sense to me. Why remove the sound from a song? Isn't that generally the main part of a song? MrsPepper is right: if you cut the song out, it's easier to deal with. How many times have you been listening to your radio- say, listening to a murder mystery serial- and just as the murderer is about to be revealed, the radio crackles out and you can't hear a thing? That's the kind of disappointment you'd get with a "silent song".

Ernie101

Reaction score
That Announcer said:
Now, that's just silly. Sorry, but that really doesn't make any sense to me. Why remove the sound from a song? Isn't that generally the main part of a song? MrsPepper is right: if you cut the song out, it's easier to deal with. How many times have you been listening to your radio- say, listening to a murder mystery serial- and just as the murderer is about to be revealed, the radio crackles out and you can't hear a thing? That's the kind of disappointment you'd get with a "silent song".

HAHAHAH.. Wow.. *Catches breath* That's seriously hillarious.. :crazy:

Good point though.

All I have to say really, is that you can have your opinion and that's alright. It's just that IMO you're going to be missing out. So? let them miss out. Let's just enjoy it. Sorry if I'm going offtopic from the song cutting..but this kinda saddens me..

MrBlud

Reaction score
Still, the work of the puppeteers doing Wayne and Wanda, and the monsters, etc are "lost" as far as the set is concerned.

I'd rather the song be cut and leave the performace then a pure cut of everything.

jrhzoot

Reaction score
Cut Intro???

I asked this before and I think it got overlooked. What exactly are we meaning by Cut Intro? Does this mean we don't get the opening sequence of "It's the Muppet Show, with our very special guest star..."? This would seem really weird if that's the case.

BEAR

Reaction score
Thanks to Mrs. P and That Announcer for your well written statements. It is true that we can't blame Disney for something they did not guarantee. They tried to get it all but they couldn't. There is only so much they can do, but they decided to give us the set anyway, for us. Disney is not to blame for anything. Atleast they are doing something with the Muppets at all.

AAO

Reaction score
Thankful

well....at least I still have my Time-Life Videos...maybe they can let me in on some of the "cut" parts of the show....Although, I'm just thankful to be getting these at all!

gooball

Reaction score
Thanks to anathema and Sean for answering my questions earlier in the thread (page 4). I appreciate it :smile:.

I just have one last question.

anathema said that sometimes the U.S. version used a different take for Statler and Waldorf's final comments (along with the fact that the credits were slightly different). I was wondering if in the episodes themselves the same takes were used for all scenes when comparing the U.S. to U.K. versions (obviously disregarding those scenes which were only in the U.K. version).

Also, what approximate proportion of 'final comments' would you say used different takes?

Finally, what do you guys think the chances of getting the original final shots (when they're not Zoot ones) in subsequent seasons? It would sucks to miss out on a heap of gags.

Thanks for all your help. As I said, I haven't really seen much of the show for years, and I'm looking forward to seeing it again (in fact, I probably haven't seen the vast majority of episodes ever. I also don't remember much of those that I have seen). It's good to be getting my head around how the show was originally presented, and just how much of that the set will recreate.

edit:
Another thing. So, the episodes are the U.K. versions with the extra skits. Then how on earth do some of them then end up with the U.S. credits?