YouTube law fight 'threatens net'

Oscarfan

Reaction score
It truly convinces me that the whole copyright concern on the Internet nowadays is not representative of the creator of the work, but the conglomerate who owns it. It may seem as if I'm stating the obvious here, but I wanted to make a distinction between the creator demanding his/her work taken of the web and the conglomerate demanding that there is to be no 'violation of copyright'. :smirk:
That's the ticket! I've always hated how back a year or so ago, Viacom removed all those Sesame Street videos all because it had the Noggin logo on them. I mean, first off, they didn't even still run SSU at the time, nor did they own SS at all, so what are they loosing by having a just a logo on something they no longer own?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That's the ticket! I've always hated how back a year or so ago, Viacom removed all those Sesame Street videos all because it had the Noggin logo on them. I mean, first off, they didn't even still run SSU at the time, nor did they own SS at all, so what are they loosing by having a just a logo on something they no longer own?
They probably felt like they DID own it... I mean, if you think about it, Viacom probably DISTRIBUTED the series when it was on TV.

Warner Brothers has removed a lot of videos of shows they may have DISTRIBUTED, but do not own (including The Chipmunks).

Drtooth

Reaction score
You'd think though that the original creators of the work have no problem with someone putting their work up for all to see on YouTube or its ilk? I know that the creators of South Park actually had no problem with anyone downloading the episodes for free on file-sharing services. Of course, Viacom said no to that, no questions asked.

It truly convinces me that the whole copyright concern on the Internet nowadays is not representative of the creator of the work, but the conglomerate who owns it. It may seem as if I'm stating the obvious here, but I wanted to make a distinction between the creator demanding his/her work taken of the web and the conglomerate demanding that there is to be no 'violation of copyright'. :smirk:

It's quite frightening that the actual CREATORS of the work of which they are selling out to the public seem to have no voice in how/if their work is allowed to be distributed online.
I would not mind if stuff was removed by the will of the creators. Being a creator that isn't rich or lucky enough to own your own work is the most unfulfilling thing in the world. You can't even get your foot in the door anymore, due to this nonsense about Children's programming. Unless you want to make an obnoxious, frat boy humor sex laden piece of crap like Butt Magee, you might as well chuck your pencils out the window.

And you know what? I'M STILL GOING TO WATCH VIDEOS ONLINE! Yeah! What are they going to do? sue me for watching old reruns of the Mask? If they do, they're going to have to fight me.

They are basically biding their time till they buy up the internet and make it just as worthless as all their other media.

Just like the bullcrap about music file sharing. That's what it is. The huge corporate conglomerates onw all the music, they refuse to let anyone who wants to be famous to be famous, and come out with corporate hip hop that's word for word the same as all the other stuff. No one was going to pay 10+ bucks for a CD of a one hit wonder singing a song it took marketting people to write in a half hour.

Viacom is being a BIG FAT SELFISH SPOILED BABY! If they want people to see their own stuff...

FIX YOUR OWN INTERNET PLAYERS! They're clunky and they don't work.

I love how these media corps have no qualms about alienating everyone and losing money to try to turn a profit. Geniuses... put the freaking footage up on youtube YOURSELF!

Oscarfan

Reaction score
They probably felt like they DID own it... I mean, if you think about it, Viacom probably DISTRIBUTED the series when it was on TV
yes, but that was back when the co-owned it with CTW, which means they too distibuted it.

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
I would not mind if stuff was removed by the will of the creators. Being a creator that isn't rich or lucky enough to own your own work is the most unfulfilling thing in the world. You can't even get your foot in the door anymore, due to this nonsense about Children's programming. Unless you want to make an obnoxious, frat boy humor sex laden piece of crap like Butt Magee, you might as well chuck your pencils out the window.

And you know what? I'M STILL GOING TO WATCH VIDEOS ONLINE! Yeah! What are they going to do? sue me for watching old reruns of the Mask? If they do, they're going to have to fight me.

They are basically biding their time till they buy up the internet and make it just as worthless as all their other media.

Just like the bullcrap about music file sharing. That's what it is. The huge corporate conglomerates onw all the music, they refuse to let anyone who wants to be famous to be famous, and come out with corporate hip hop that's word for word the same as all the other stuff. No one was going to pay 10+ bucks for a CD of a one hit wonder singing a song it took marketting people to write in a half hour.

Viacom is being a BIG FAT SELFISH SPOILED BABY! If they want people to see their own stuff...

FIX YOUR OWN INTERNET PLAYERS! They're clunky and they don't work.

I love how these media corps have no qualms about alienating everyone and losing money to try to turn a profit. Geniuses... put the freaking footage up on youtube YOURSELF!
I'm still goning to watch videos too, they cant tell me to stop either! you know what else, i agree with you Dr.tooth, if 1,000,000 are watching one 2 minute clip of Spongebob, they should create there own account and put them up. to me, it seems that there waisting more money trying to get a lawsuit, that they could get back by just realising the darn thing on DVD (or for music, CD) You know, i wonder if they would take a clip down if, at the end, theres a credit that says: "If you liked this, go by the first season" or "If you enjoyed this, watch it on Comedy Central every day at 3:00"
also, even if viacom did distribute SS, they don't own it, they DO NOT have the right to take down videos that don't belong to them. I think the CTW is smart, they don't force youtube to take down the videos, infact they took a cue from them, and made there own video webisite, now thats the smart thing to do if you ask me.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'm still goning to watch videos too, they cant tell me to stop either! you know what else, i agree with you Dr.tooth, if 1,000,000 are watching one 2 minute clip of Spongebob, they should create there own account and put them up. to me, it seems that there waisting more money trying to get a lawsuit, that they could get back by just realising the darn thing on DVD (or for music, CD) You know, i wonder if they would take a clip down if, at the end, theres a credit that says: "If you liked this, go by the first season" or "If you enjoyed this, watch it on Comedy Central every day at 3:00"
also, even if viacom did distribute SS, they don't own it, they DO NOT have the right to take down videos that don't belong to them. I think the CTW is smart, they don't force youtube to take down the videos, infact they took a cue from them, and made there own video webisite, now thats the smart thing to do if you ask me.
If someone does put a two-minute SpongeBob clip, what do they loose? It's not anyone would buy their DVD's all becasue 1/75th of it was put on the internet.

Plus, SW isn't a big company; they're a non-pofit organization.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If someone does put a two-minute SpongeBob clip, what do they loose? It's not anyone would buy their DVD's all becasue 1/75th of it was put on the internet.
It's not the problem. Spongebob, South Park and like that are not the problem. They're using them as examples. People are still watching it on TV, buying the DVD's, and some people even watch it on their players (if they have Fios, since that's the only way it doesn't stop.

They do have the right to pull the videos, and have accounts suspended, I'll agree with that. but they have NO RIGHT to invade privacy to get lost profits they didn't really lose.

Viacom sucks. It does. if I didn't like Spongebob so much, I'd boycott them. I hope the president of that company gets Eisner Ousted.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Lol, I hate SpongeBob!
I used to like it, but when new episodes after the movie came, I was dissapointed with how poorly put together they were. So now, I've nearly stopped watching it all together, except for the older, better episodes.