When you outgrew Sesame Street...

• Thread starter Philo and Gunge
  • Start date

SarahFraggle

Reaction score
I see my peers wereing teletubbis for cry out load! At least u are learning with ss! :concern:

roadrat15

Reaction score
I had quite a collection of the original LPS and my Mother saw them one day and made me give them away to ST Vincents. *breaks down into uncontrollable sobbing!*

ssetta

Reaction score
That's horrible! :cry: What exactly is St. Vincents? Is it a church or something? How exactly did she make you give them away?? :frown:

roadrat15

Reaction score
I was eleven and she said I had outgrown 'em. St Vincent De Paul operates in Australia as a 'give to the poor by selling old stuff and giving them food and shelter' type of place.They've got offices all around Australia. Some swine is laughing his butt off, with MY 'Having fun with Ernie And Bert' in his collectable vinyls! :big_grin: :frown:

Mokeystar

Reaction score
Never too old

There was a short time when I was about 11 that I started feeling a tinge ashamed to watch the show and my the way my heart palpatated each time I saw a Muppet plastered on a lunchbox or a pair of tube socks. I remember buying Sesame Magazines until I was about that age and getting a strange look from the clerk behind the counter and feeling embarrased. That's about the time I stopped buying them, but I didn't stop watching Sesame....although I wouldn't let anyone see me watching it.

The funny thing is that no one in my family teased me about it. No one told me to stop, but I felt like it wasn't "right" even though it felt so right deep down. I remember going into my bedroom and flipping on the radio. The song "Benny and the Jets" was playing on the radio. I remember picking up a Sesame Magazine with a picture of Big Bird on the front and, while I was looking at this picture, tears welled up in my eyes and as Elton cried out, "Benny! Benny!", I just started bawling. It felt like I was being made to let go. I felt like I was saying goodbye..... not only to Sesame Street, but to my childhood. It almost felt like I was grieving a death.
But, fortunately my surrendering didn't last. Like a friend and fellow Sesame nut once said, "You can't run away from Sesame. It's a part of you."

Not too much later on in my teenage life, I completely embraced Sesame again with a passion and proudly let everyone know how much I loved it....even if they didn't want to hear about it. I even bought a few copies of the Sesame Mag when I was in High School and shared it with a few friends.

I realized an important lesson at that point. No one has the right to tell me to stop doing something that might not fit within their definition of the norm, especially if it's something that doesn't harm me (or anyone) and gives me a lot of joy. You know, to this day, I cannot stand listening to the song "Benny and the Jets". The association tears me up inside. But I proudly admit that my heart still madly palpatates each time I see a Muppet face smeared across a tube sock, lunch box, or whatever it's smeared across..... :smile: Let the smearing continue!

salemfan

Reaction score
Iv'e had problems with people throughout the years for still liking Sesame Street. I remember when I was in 3rd grade my school Library had a whole bunch of Sesame Street Magazines that went back as far as 1980. At the time it was 1990.
Why did your elementary school library have Sesame Street magazines when elementary school is too old for Sesame Street?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Aw that is a shame that you were forced to give your LPs away. Still, at least they were given to charity. A lot of people just throw things away. :mad:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Never! Graciously people let me like what I like without ever condemning me for it. I've always liked it, never really stopped watching it, have never kept it a secret form anyone, and everyone I've ever known it seems had been cool with it and understanding about it surprisingly enough, even when I didn't expect them to be.

I know what you mean about us being such a wasteful society some time, heralded. There always somebody else who could use something that you don't need anymore, of who needs it or could use it more then you do at the moment.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I know what you mean about us being such a wasteful society some time, heralded. There always somebody else who could use something that you don't need anymore, of who needs it or could use it more then you do at the moment.
Absolutely!

Well looking back I really wish I'd thought to keep track of SS after I went to school, at least taping the episodes. I would love to see what I missed! Though I wouldn't watch the current show now.