The most DATED thing on classic Sesame Street?

Censored

Reaction score
The most dated thing on classic Sesame Street was Maria. David dated her, Luis dated her...

superfan

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
The most dated thing on classic Sesame Street was Maria. David dated her, Luis dated her...

Oh man, don't even....LOL!

:rolleyes: :wink:

Mokeystar

Reaction score
SesameMike said:
Another dated item on that Seattle bus film: at one point the bus makes a right turn on a busy main road, and there's one single 4-way traffic signal suspended by span-wire over the center of the intersection. The US Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices now mandates a minimum of two signal heads in each direction, in case of burned-out bulbs.
QUOTE]

And another thing that made that Seattle bus film dated was that not ONE person on the bus was drinking a latte from Starbucks! :wink:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
another dated piece

During Season 2, Sesame Street expanded its agenda to include identifying numbers up to 20. So there's a film of a boss in his office sending his employee (our very own Joe Raposo!) out to find a 20. "That's a 2 and a 0 together!"
They skip numbers 1 trough 10, assuming viewers are familiar enough with them.

11- Joe points to a calendar dated January 11, 1971. Not good enough for his boss.

12- on the face of a clock. But the boss demands a 20. So Joe goes out into the cold New York streets.

13- number of a crosstown bus

14- street sign of 14th Street, which in New York is WAY Downtown

15- 15 cents for a newspaper, (now costing $1.25) with the headline YOU'RE GETTING WARMER!!!!!!

16- a runner with a 16 on his chest, who goes into a building numbered

17- gets on the elevator to the

18- 18th floor, and Joe follows

19- to Room 19, Joe enters and gets chased by a gorilla (!), but the big ape has a

20- mission accomplished!!!

They showed this clip well into the late 70's, until the calendar probably showed the clip's age too much. I mean once kids started watching who weren't even born yet in 1971, it seemed like time to put this one in the vault.

Then there are old fogees like me :sleep:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
that was really Joe Raposo? humm. i thought these might of been actors from some prime time show. like 1 of the SSU shows from the 2nd season witch had some of the cast from Bonanza

Katzi428

Reaction score
I read somewhere that James Earl Jones said the alphabet on the very first episode of Sesame Street.

Censored

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:
During Season 2, Sesame Street expanded its agenda to include identifying numbers up to 20. So there's a film of a boss in his office sending his employee (our very own Joe Raposo!) out to find a 20. "That's a 2 and a 0 together!"
They skip numbers 1 trough 10, assuming viewers are familiar enough with them.

11- Joe points to a calendar dated January 11, 1971. Not good enough for his boss.

12- on the face of a clock. But the boss demands a 20. So Joe goes out into the cold New York streets.

13- number of a crosstown bus

14- street sign of 14th Street, which in New York is WAY Downtown

15- 15 cents for a newspaper, (now costing $1.25) with the headline YOU'RE GETTING WARMER!!!!!!

16- a runner with a 16 on his chest, who goes into a building numbered

17- gets on the elevator to the

18- 18th floor, and Joe follows

19- to Room 19, Joe enters and gets chased by a gorilla (!), but the big ape has a

20- mission accomplished!!!

They showed this clip well into the late 70's, until the calendar probably showed the clip's age too much. I mean once kids started watching who weren't even born yet in 1971, it seemed like time to put this one in the vault.

Then there are old fogees like me :sleep:

I remember that one. I had forgotten that 1 through 10 was omitted, but it sounds right. If they really wanted to, they could always re-shoot a close up of another calendar, but I doubt if the current producers have any desire to show an old classic with a late great performer from the past.

ssetta

Reaction score
Why would they omit 1-10? Had they ever done that before? Or, maybe they would always show a sketch about counting from 1-10 prior to this one.

DTF

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
I remember that one. I had forgotten that 1 through 10 was omitted, but it sounds right. If they really wanted to, they could always re-shoot a close up of another calendar, but I doubt if the current producers have any desire to show an old classic with a late great performer from the past.
I remember that one too, but the only parts I remembered vividly were the boss' instructions and the gorilla with the 20. I know they showed it at least till I was 5 or 6 (1974-5) but even then it's one of those bague childhood memories - you know you saw it but can't place a time, etc. on it; thanks.

I still remember thinking, "Why does that gorilla have a 20?" near the last time I was watching it. I was a great storyteller, though, even back then I did funny stories w/my stuffed animals. And, I can remember figuring, "Well, of course, that's why the guy wanted it, he needed the fellow to get it away from the gorilla."

(Snip mental picture I must have had of a frantic boss worried because the gorilla had his "20.")

Ziffel

Reaction score
And the skit from about 1970 where Ernie takes a picture of The Cookie Monster taking cupcakes had a very outdated camera. And of course the presence of something outdated is hardly a reason to not show the segment anymore, especially since these classic segments are so brilliant. But now it's rare to get any older segment at all, regardless of the existence of outdated material or not.
Another thing too: 70's Sesame Street used some very outdated things itself back then, like those 30's black&white clips of trains and cars to teach about things like short and long (and they easily could have used 70's vehicles to achieve the same teachings). So if the 30's were okay for 70's SS, then 70's SS should be fine for this decade. :smile:
Just as new generations keep loving shows like "I Love Lucy" ,"The Honeymooners" , and "The Andy Griffith Show" despite numerous outdated things, today's kids would love classic SS. If it's brilliant, well acted, well written, and funny, then it's timeless.

GeeBee said:
I had to quote this because I thought it was hilarious!