The most DATED thing on classic Sesame Street?

ssetta

Reaction score
superfan said:
:wink:
The clothes, baby, the clothes!

Haha!

PURE seventies...just shining through!

And the end credits for the earlier 90's shows with the hip hop beat and those kids trying to do the running man and MC Hammer moves. Even Big Bird danced along.
Well, they do still use those same credits. But what I think would be MORE outdated are the Barkley and the kids closing credits that took place before that, and that old harmonica music. In fact, when I first saw those new animated ones in 1992, I actually cried. :cry:

MuppetDude

Reaction score
And all of those Muppet hippies! I mean, they sang "Yellow Submarine", "Spinning Wheel", and even "Feelin' Groovy", all in their first season! :zany:

And don't forget orange Oscar! :grouchy:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
ok maybe i was being a bit on edge. but what do you mean most dated? often times when people mention this they're saying it's so old it's no good. maybe i misunderstood. if. so i'm sorry. otherwise so what. it's nice to see that older clips and episodes and see what SS was like in the past.

Mokeystar

Reaction score
It's a-ok, Mikeyman.

I think what's being discussed here is kind of broad.
I mean, what I understand the discussion is about is not only what we remember that's totally and obviously outdated (as in hair, clothes, psychedelic counting sequences)from old episodes, but things that kids of today wouldn't understand---things that are obsolete in this day and age, like "Don't Walk" signs vs. today's "Little man figure" that symbolizes the same thing.

BUT---it definitely doesn't mean the stuff isn't still good. It's ALL good. I ADORE the old stuff. We were just discussing it cuz it's fun to talk about. :smile: And as I said earlier, "Fun is good, fun is groovy. Three cheers for it." Amen. Long live Disco Cookie.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
another reason why i got annoyed and i'll try to make this short. going on these message boards about SS and others i've heard these thing said i one will confuse the kids and while i do understand a little kids being confused by older stuff sometimes, sometimes it's either nothing or even when it is confusing, it's not bad enough to worry about. or at least it seems that way. the whole idea of a fix it shop even though they maybe uncommon these days whether things don't break as much as they once did such as TV's or repair shops aren't as common in real life. i don't think it's really that big of a deal. i couldn't undersatnd Mr. Hooper's store. yes you by stuff there and also eat there. with SS there's probably a lot more older stuff that wouldn't be any big deal and don't think samll kids are going to say. that's so old! i thing that might be different is the older episodes themselves considering the changes to the show in the last few years. 1 mentioned Bob singing good morning starshine and Stevie Wonders appearance in 73. those 2 are no big deal. let's not also forget, sometimes songs on the show whether performed by the SS Muppet Groups, the human cast, or those that went with the animations or films, some sounded older than the time they were made. a song like Exit by Chrissy & the Alphabets probably sounded like a 70s rock song but that ssong with Betty Lou singing I Want a Monster sounded more like 50s or 60s pop song. i belong to a yahoo group about Mr. Rogers and since they only show programs going back to 1979 and a lot of it apparently has to do with outdated suff as well wich i've heard elsewhere. but even his the case of that show i think they tend to be a little sily about the outdated stuff. 1 suggests kids would be tramatized by things like phonograph records and outdated cloth to name a couple. of course today you don't see delivery people wear the type of uniform like Mr. McFeely does. there's much more i could mention but i rather not. and considering the pre 79's were shows up untill the early 90s witch was in part because production ceased between 1975-1979 witch makes me think they might of not been as worried about such stuff back then. i was much older back in the 80s and even wondered about such stuff incldung seeing Rogers with his normal black hair color and these newer shows with Rogers with gray hair. wonder how those poor kids surived the trama back in those days. i know i'm being a little sarcastic here.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
I understand that you're very passionate about Sesame Street, Mike, but don't come into a thread and act like a moderator and rain on everyone's parade by asking: "who cares?"

What, do you think that every thread has to meet your satisfaction? Gee whiz....

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread. :grouchy:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
uh i think we just settleed this already and admitted i was wrongso just drop it.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Another dated thing from Sesame Street is any clip with cars. I remember the one about traffic lights, and you see all the cars stopping at the red light, and 9 times out of 10 they were GM, Ford, or Chrysler. Apart from the occassional Volkswagen or super-sporty Italian job, the Big 3 were pretty much all we had. Cars from Japan or Korea were unheard-of. Now... well, let's move on.

I also love the clip of the Bus Driver, cruising down all the Seattle streets (Hey Mokeystar!) and even seeing some old cars from the 50's with the big fins and the 8-cylinder engines. Sigh... :sleep:

SesameMike

Reaction score
Bus driver film?

I also love the clip of the Bus Driver, cruising down all the Seattle streets
Was this the one with the little girl and boy and the wagon?

A little boy is pulling a red wagon, which is his "bus", complete with a farebox made from an cardboard milk carton. He offers a lift to a little girl, with a fare of 25 cents. The girl scoffs at his "bus", explaining that her daddy is a real bus driver, and has to get up very early in the morning.

The scene shifts to a man in driver's uniform walking at the bus depot in the a.m. It is still dark out. "I'll bet he hates to get up THAT early." says the boy, but the girl says it's OK. He unlocks a bus, gets in the drivers' seat, and tests the door, lights, etc. He then drives the bus out on a route and starts collecting fares in daylight. A lively piano piece played in the background.

Fade back to the boy and the wagon. The girl finally puts a quarter in the milk carton (which makes a sound like a real farebox), then boards the wagon (to the sound of doors and an airbrake "psssh" sound), as the boy pulls the wagon away to the sound of a real diesel bus.

Was this in Seattle? I had always assumed it was New York State by the infrastructural features and the fact that most of the transportation-oriented films they showed were recorded locally.