The most DATED thing on classic Sesame Street?

mikebennidict

Reaction score
when i was a little older and noticed these thing more, i could of sworn the bus said seattle. there were a few like these witch i've probably listed in my thread about SS films.

superfan

Reaction score
So it's the hair, the clothes, the 'groovy songs' and the 'technology'....
all rolled up into one big ball of classic SS goodness.

And the little things the characters would say, like:

"nifty!"
"swell!"
"kicky!"
and of course, "groovy!"
I'm thinking Bert, primarily here, and I know that these words are recognizable and sometimes still used, but, it's a little hokey and dated...in a good way.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
For SesameMike

Hey dude! Yes, that clip was from Seattle. There's a lady in a very loud 70's-era brown and white dress getting on (Kid narration:"Hey, what a neat mirror. Oh, I get it! It lets him see people running for the bus!") and you can see right on the front of the bus SEATTLE TRANSIT SYSTEM. During one of the earlier scenes, you can see the bus also getting on a freeway off-ramp, and the Seattle skyline in the background with a quick glimpse of the Space Needle.

I have ALWAYS loved this clip- especially the music. Then when I sent this clip to Mokeystar, my best friend, and she saw this clip was practically filmed in her backyard, she just about DIED! It was just one of those cosmic coincidences that made us love eveything about Sesame Street that much more. :smile:

Dantecat

Reaction score
(1)What Year Was That Skit?

(2)How Good And How Was The Music?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Q & A Time

This skit must have been from Season 1 or 2, since I can remember it from way back when.

The music? FANTASTIC!!!! Nice jazzy instrumental line-up of piano, organ, guitar, bass, and drums. The music is basically one riff, which they repeat four times. But the perfect music to score the film with. :big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin:

Stacey

Reaction score
How about the clip about all things beginning with letter "G", and when they talk about "G" jobs, they actually bring up Go-Go dancer. That's funny.

Censored

Reaction score
superfan said:
So it's the hair, the clothes, the 'groovy songs' and the 'technology'....
all rolled up into one big ball of classic SS goodness.

And the little things the characters would say, like:

"nifty!"
"swell!"
"kicky!"
and of course, "groovy!"
I'm thinking Bert, primarily here, and I know that these words are recognizable and sometimes still used, but, it's a little hokey and dated...in a good way.

Also, the term "meatball" that means a silly or stupid person. That expression was used a lot in the 70's, but then seemed to vanish completely.

SesameMike

Reaction score
Another dated item on that Seattle bus film: at one point the bus makes a right turn on a busy main road, and there's one single 4-way traffic signal suspended by span-wire over the center of the intersection. The US Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices now mandates a minimum of two signal heads in each direction, in case of burned-out bulbs.

How about that Ernie (and Bert, sort of) routine in which a medical doctor makes a house call? For those too young to remember, doctors used to visit you in your home when you got sick, carrying everything they needed in that little black bag. This phenomenon can be seen in the Brady Bunch episode in which all six kids got the measles (before immunizations -- something else dated right there) and both a man and woman doctor came to visit. It was either the late 60s or early 70s that doctors stopped making house calls. Some doctors may still do so today, but it's even pricier than an office visit, and is reserved for the direst cases and/or immobile patients only.

A Jerry Nelson-voiced doctor arrived at Ernie's door. He had the usual stethescope and that reflector thingy on his head, and I think he was based on the Fat Blue Muppet. In any case, Ernie thanked him for coming, and the doc promptly told Ernie to open his mouth. Ernie tried to explain something with his mouth constantly kept open, "ah...rhaa..rha..". The doc eventually told him to close his mouth, then did all the usual tests while Ernie tried to explain something. Finally the doc gave his diagnosis: "Ernie, you're fine; why did you call me?" Ernie, up until now unable to get a word in edgewise, explained "Because my friend Bert, has a TUMMY-ACHE!... He's right this way." The doc and Ernie walk off camera to the right. The last words we hear are the doctor saying "OK Bert, open your mouth." Note that Bert was not seen in this sketch, nor did he have any lines.

Censored

Reaction score
SesameMike said:
How about that Ernie (and Bert, sort of) routine in which a medical doctor makes a house call? For those too young to remember, doctors used to visit you in your home when you got sick, carrying everything they needed in that little black bag. This phenomenon can be seen in the Brady Bunch episode in which all six kids got the measles (before immunizations -- something else dated right there) and both a man and woman doctor came to visit.

And yet, no one thinks twice about rerunning Brady Bunch episodes, but with Sesame Street, showing anything old seems to be a subject of controversy.