Battle Within: The Spider-Man 3 Thread (Spoilers Ahead!)

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Getting back on topic, I feel like for some reason 28 Weeks Later might beat out Spidey for the #1 spot this weekend, with ticket sales slowing down and all and that being another sequel to a box office hit.
I've heard some "experts" say that Spidey 3 will be the highest-grossing film of the summer...and the summer hasn't even begun! There's still Shrek, Pirates, Transformers and Simpsons.

While The Simpsons Movie may not break box office records in its opening weekend, it may have a rewatchability factor, like the TV show. People might go back and see it more than once, to check out the (presumably) quick references and inside jokes they may have missed the first time around.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I just wrote about that on another forum, actually! I was talking about the Tom Hanks' director's cut 2-disc DVD that came out last week. Wonderful movie. One of my favorites!
Yeah, I saw ads for this on various DVD sites. I'll have to check it out. But what can 30+ extra minutes possibly add? I feel the movie is tight enough as it is. Maybe more character development? Maybe longer concert sequences? It'll be interesting to find out!

I love the O-Need-Ers!

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I just wrote about that on another forum, actually! I was talking about the Tom Hanks' director's cut 2-disc DVD that came out last week. Wonderful movie. One of my favorites!
There's also a SE of Big that came out the same day, which adds 25 minutes of extra footage.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I didn't pick that up yet. My DVD budget that week was restricted to That Thing You Do! and the Jodorowsky set.

dabauckham

Reaction score
In all seriousness (even though I didn't care for the film, but still like DiCaprio and Winslet), I did get choked up as the ship was sinking, and we saw that elderly couple in bed, choosing to go to eternity together, rather than trying to escape, and the mother telling her children to go to sleep.
Let's not forget that Titanic had possibly the most horrid theme song of any movie, which kinda took a lot away for me (what can I say - I really dislike Celine Dion and overly brash sentimentality).

Back on topic, I saw Spidey 3 last night. I wasn't blown away, but I enjoyed it! It was a little crammed; however, I went in with somewhat low expectations due to all the villians, and really, I thought that they tied things together fairly well (although it would have been better if Venom were cut or saved for a future movie).

However, some of my favorite moments in the movie were non-action scenes. Like the Polish landlord and his daughter Ursula (I've always liked her character, and actually find her more intriguing than the movie interpretation of Mary Jane in a lot of ways). I also loved the sequence with Betty Brant, Jonah Jameson, and that bumbling pitchman. And the Bruce Campbell scene, of course. And I was pleasently surprised how intentionally funny many parts of the film were, like Spidey flying in front of the American flag when he redonned his red and blue suit, or even when he goes "bad" for a while and is walking down the street putting on dorky moves and leers while women look at him disdainfully. HAHA!

Actually, it was interesting how Peter's "bad boy" period started off kinda funny, but became increasingly tragic.

Something of a mess, but a very enjoyable mess, which I would rewatch in a hearbeat.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
However, some of my favorite moments in the movie were non-action scenes. Like the Polish landlord and his daughter Ursula (I've always liked her character, and actually find her more intriguing than the movie interpretation of Mary Jane in a lot of ways).
Since I'm the only one on the planet who hasn't seen Spidey 3 yet, I'm glad to hear that the landlord and his daughter are back! Their scenes in part 2 were amongst my favorites. I too think Peter and Ursula should hook up...heck, if I had a choice, I would choose Ursula over Kirsten Dunst:big_grin: !

muppetwriter

Reaction score
Since I'm the only one on the planet who hasn't seen Spidey 3 yet, I'm glad to hear that the landlord and his daughter are back! Their scenes in part 2 were amongst my favorites. I too think Peter and Ursula should hook up...heck, if I had a choice, I would choose Ursula over Kirsten Dunst:big_grin: !
If you liked their scenes in the second one, then you'll love them in the next, especially after you get a little tired of Mr. Dikovich (I think that was how his name was spelled) saying "Rent!" all the time and acting like a greedy jerk.:smile:

The movie was #1 in the box office again, but dropped 60% in its ticket sales. It's still a good performance, considering the competition it faced with 28 Weeks Later, Georgia Rule (the movie Lindsay Lohan was known for acting like a you-know-what behind the scenes in), and the godforsaken "Blue Collar TV" movie Delta Farce. And don't get me started on The Ex.

If its drop isn't a wake-up call for Sony, I don't know what is.:stick_out_tongue: