Fraggle CD collection arrives October 30

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
I had a very brief but pleasant conversation with Craig Shemin this summer about Muppet music. We discussed the exciting release of this album, and he told me that while more albums could theoretically be done for Fraggle Rock - and he hopes they will, since Henson has the master recordings - unfortunately they don’t have similar masters for the songs from The Muppet Show.

I presume they have the tracks for the songs that were released on vinyl back then, but that is likely all that exists now.
I have The Muppet Show on video from Spain (released in 1993) with Spanish overdubs and the first season DVD set in the UK has French lanaguage option. The original backing track can be heard with new language vocals recorded over the top. Is there any chance that these backing tracks still exist as these releases are quite new or were the language overdubs done back in the 70s or 80s? Just a thought.

Fluffinella

Reaction score
I have The Muppet Show on video from Spain (released in 1993) with Spanish overdubs and the first season DVD set in the UK has French lanaguage option. The original backing track can be heard with new language vocals recorded over the top. Is there any chance that these backing tracks still exist as these releases are quite new or were the language overdubs done back in the 70s or 80s? Just a thought.
I guess those probably still exist. You’re referring to the music and effects track of the episode. A TV episode's soundtrack is usually composed of two individual tracks: dialogue and music & effects. You've probably noticed the M&E track playing on the menus of the Fraggle DVDs.

The songs, however, are a different case. Muppet Show and Fraggle Rock music was pre-recorded. For FR, those songs were recorded not only for use in the episodes, but to be usable when producing albums. For TMS, those songs were recorded simply to be inserted into the episode.

Unfortunately, after that they were likely discarded or recorded over.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
I guess those probably still exist. You’re referring to the music and effects track of the episode. A TV episode's soundtrack is usually composed of two individual tracks: dialogue and music & effects. You've probably noticed the M&E track playing on the menus of the Fraggle DVDs.

The songs, however, are a different case. Muppet Show and Fraggle Rock music was pre-recorded. For FR, those songs were recorded not only for use in the episodes, but to be usable when producing albums. For TMS, those songs were recorded simply to be inserted into the episode.

Unfortunately, after that they were likely discarded or recorded over.
That's a real pity. There was a fair bit of Muppet music released on vinyl over the years, albums and singles, so hopefully the master tapes of these still exist at least.

MJTaylor

Reaction score
I ordered mine from Amazon.com as they're not releasing it in the UK. It's not as expensive as you'd think to have it shipped to you either.
To tell you the truth, I'm not that confident about ordering things online.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
To tell you the truth, I'm not that confident about ordering things online.
From my experience, from Amazon.com, I've had no problems at all. I have bought loads of DVDs and CDs from there. It's also cheaper than waiting until a UK supplier can provide them for me. The only problem is import tax if I get stung.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Ugh, I am so mad at Amazon. It said my set was supposed to be here yesterday, but nothing. I'm very upset... :mad:

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
Ugh, I am so mad at Amazon. It said my set was supposed to be here yesterday, but nothing. I'm very upset... :mad:
Do Amazon send things by private courier when sending them inland? It takes weeks for them to send them out of the country. :smirk: Be patient, it'll turn up!

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
Mine turned up today. I pre-ordered from Amazon.com on September 8, it was released on October 30 so it's only taken just over one week to get here.
The sound quality is good but I'm not sure it has been remastered as such, the quality on the original Music & Magic CD is just as good. Nice to have all the lyrics to the songs and to finally have the different edits to the theme tune. :smile: