Elmo's World-free episodes don't go over

Drtooth

Reaction score
I actually somewhat like them using live-action films. Because some of the ones that were used this season have not been used in years. (Some of them hadn't even been used since Elmo's World debuted!) But I do agree that we didn't see as much of the older characters this season.
The live action films, while I'm not a fan of, are a great mix in to the show. However, it is all about balance. I've seen less and less muppet segments, old and new this season than any other. The only muppet filler segments were the letter and number of the day, reused, and a few others. It seemed like mostly filmed segments this year. Considering I mostly watch SS now almost exclusively for Muppet stuff.

Erine81981

Reaction score
The live action films, while I'm not a fan of, are a great mix in to the show. However, it is all about balance. I've seen less and less muppet segments, old and new this season than any other. The only muppet filler segments were the letter and number of the day, reused, and a few others. It seemed like mostly filmed segments this year. Considering I mostly watch SS now almost exclusively for Muppet stuff.
I feel the same way Drtooth. I watch it only for the Muppets and the Cast too. I don't like to think that i just watch it for the Muppets but i like to see the cast there too. So maybe if SW would film some new Muppet stuff other then just reuseing the some of the same stuff from some of the other seasons i think it would work out. Now don't get me wrong but i don't mind seeing some of the older segments from other later seasons but i would like to see some newer skits and songs with Muppet characters and others then last years segments.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I watch Sesame Street for Sesame Street. I've been able to catch some of the new episodes from Season 38 and I must say I like Chris on there. He's pretty cool. And it was nice to see Gordon and Susan around again together.
Elmo's World is Elmo's World. I've sat through it before- and though repetitive and formulaic (and it's supposed to be)- it really isn't all that bad. Today's kids do like other characters on Sesame Street too. But from their viewpoint today, Elmo basically IS the main character and essentially is the flagship character for the show, much like Mickey Mouse is for Disney- and Big Bird used to be for Sesame Street. I still think Big Bird is a major flagship character- but there's no denying that Elmo basically represents Sesame Street today. And the character himself has been around since the 1980s, so Elmo's actually a classic character really. He's been around a good 20 years or so! True, he started as a minor character but he's grown into a larger one. And I like him fine. If you're going to complain about his refusing to use personal pronouns, you could also get on Cookie Monster for hardly ever using "I" instead of "Me" for everything.
I do hope to see a mix of classic characters- and it's been nice seeing classic segments on there this season I haven't seen in a while.
If you want the older classic Sesame Street episodes, get the Old School Volume 2 DVD box set coming out in November.
Because I really doubt the status of the current show is going to change much anytime soon. But I really enjoy it as it is right now- they're making some changes and adding some new characters and trying to mix them together some. Hopefully that will continue. And by the way, I can seriously see Abby Cadabby competing with Elmo for the cuteness crown. :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
To be honest, I have to say I still think it's more likely they didn't have Elmo's World in those episodes because Kevin Clash has been taking on more responsibilities.

It is definitely great that they are releasing the Old School DVDs. To be honest, I'd rather show my future kids that than the current show. And I want to make it clear, it's not just because of Elmo's World. I feel the same way about the entire show as it is now. As unpopular as this may sound, I think the show has past its prime. There are other shows coming around that are very successful (and that are entertaining and educating children the way Sesame Street used to).

Drtooth

Reaction score
To be honest, I have to say I still think it's more likely they didn't have Elmo's World in those episodes because Kevin Clash has been taking on more responsibilities.
But then again, considering it was only 2 episodes, they have about 10 years of EW footage that could clearly fit into those 2 places, even if they are reran endlessly.

It is definitely great that they are releasing the Old School DVDs. To be honest, I'd rather show my future kids that than the current show. And I want to make it clear, it's not just because of Elmo's World. I feel the same way about the entire show as it is now. As unpopular as this may sound, I think the show has past its prime. There are other shows coming around that are very successful (and that are entertaining and educating children the way Sesame Street used to).
I agree with that up until you said "up and coming" shows. While there are some good ones (must I bring up Curious George a millionth time?) there are just so much lousy "What the crap is that?" type garbage like "Save the Wonderpets!" What is that? Everytime I go to Target and see one of their DVD's, I have to hold back the rage of pulling it off the shelf and stomping up and down on it a million times. I can't believe trash like that and Backyardigans are popular. I almost miss the mid 90's giant weird character in a stupid costume to cash in off Barney shows.

I think the puppetry is still strong, and the writing is trying to be better. But over all, there are just random gaps in quality in places that pull the whole show down with it. The Veggie Dance? The Fruit dance? That thing from 3 years ago where they had a cheap filmed stage with kids running around a giant letter singing "Y...Y...Y-y-y! " "Da letter Y!" "Y! Y! Y, Y ,Y!" How is that teaching anything.

Seems to me, its not EW that needs fixing as badly as the nonmuppet filler segments. No more clever cartoons by indie cartoonist. Just.... just cheaply filmed junk. Cheaply filmed junk with cheaply added CGI crap on it.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
There are other shows coming around that are very successful (and that are entertaining and educating children the way Sesame Street used to).
I agree! Isn't it good to know that quality can still be successful and win in a television landscape full of not so quality shows.:smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think there will always be something new to come along and provide a ripple of hope. Not everyone may agree with this example, hehe, but Star Wars was one of the masters of the Sci-Fi/Fantasy film genre. But in recent years, it suffered greatly from the so-called "prequels." Thankfully, Lord of the Rings came along as something new and fresh. That doesn't take away from Star Wars, but it does demonstrate that great projects eventually hit their prime and can't go back. To some extent, I do agree that "you can't go home again." If you could, those projects wouldn't be special. Though we can still enjoy the project when it was excellent. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, Star Wars is a different case from SS. SS has pressure from parental groups, their educators, their competition, and their younger fans to become what it has been in the past several years. Now, say what you will about George Lucas and the prequals. He did the movie he wanted to do, or at least he thought he wanted to do. If he bowed to pressure, Queen Amadala would have been Hillary Duff or something (!) and we would have had a pop music background. And Jar Jar would have been "From Da Hood" making him leagues more annoying than he was. So it isn't really a fair comparison.

In other words, SS suffers from too much of the outside world, Star Wars suffered from George being hin his own little world. :crazy:

That said, I liked #2 and I though #3 saved the franchise.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That is a valid difference, although one could argue Lucas was trying too hard to make a "kid's film". But I stand by the similarities that I was focusing on as well, as far as saying all TV shows and franchises eventually pass their prime.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
What I liked about the 'Elmo's World-free' episodes this season was that they included multiple part street stories. I think they could still do that and keep Elmo's World. They have done that for a few years before the format changed. Just a suggestion.