Elmo's World-free episodes don't go over

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Elmo was still popular with kids, and taught them a whole lot more, when he didn't get his own predictable mini-show.
Indeed. That is the Elmo I liked & tolerated. I mean, I still like the character himself, but I don't like the corporate monopolization & oversaturation of the character.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Talk about making most of us feel old, considering a lot of us are children of the 80's (for me it was 1984) or even older.I hate to feel like a bad guy here, but I say that they should deal with it bothering them, simply because neither of set of fans is truly happy with the current arrangement, because either we classic fans dislike it when it is on (considering it's no way as educational as the rest of the show) & the new fans dislike it when isn't on (because they grew up on Elmo's humungous popularity and don't seem to realize that we classic fans feel alienated by the inclusion of a segment that provides no real educational value...on an educational program).
I todally agree WW. I don't mind the show that much now being tha it isn't all that bad this season. Now i would love to see it go back to the old format with the story inbetween other then it being all at the first of the show. I mean don't get me wrong i like them no matter what but i want the show to have all the way though. I don't see why they can't go back and still be able to keep Elmo's World in the series. It happened back in the 1999 and oh up till 2003. But didn't watch any of those and that was either because i was at work or hanging out with my friends. It wasn't till i found this site that made me start back to watching Sesame Street.

Edit: And i know this will never happen again but i just wished it would.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Indeed. That is the Elmo I liked & tolerated. I mean, I still like the character himself, but I don't like the corporate monopolization & oversaturation of the character.
*nods* I miss the days when Elmo was one of the gang, not the show's mascot. Seeing him interact with older Muppets as an equal is pretty rare these days; when it does happen, the writers at Sesame Workshop deserve a little extra credit from us fans.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
*nods* I miss the days when Elmo was one of the gang, not the show's mascot.
For certainly, Big Bird--as the previous icon--didn't always get central focus, nor did the character practically demand center stage like kids seem to want from Elmo these days.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I agree, it sort of sends the message that you must enjoy what's popular and ignore the rest. I don't want my kids learning that so soon in life, heh. Elmo is fine but it would be nice if the characters were equal.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I agree, it sort of sends the message that you must enjoy what's popular and ignore the rest.
And Lord knows that The Muppets themselves--including those from the Street--didn't start out as popular.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Talk about making most of us feel old, considering a lot of us are children of the 80's (for me it was 1984) or even older.
The puppet of Elmo actually existed even before that. So that would make Elmo technically around since the 70's, where he was mostly unnamed, and performed by numerous people.

I hate to feel like a bad guy here, but I say that they should deal with it bothering them, simply because neither of set of fans is truly happy with the current arrangement, because either we classic fans dislike it when it is on (considering it's no way as educational as the rest of the show) & the new fans dislike it when isn't on (because they grew up on Elmo's humungous popularity and don't seem to realize that we classic fans feel alienated by the inclusion of a segment that provides no real educational value...on an educational program).
Nothing would get me happier than having the kids not have an EW in an episode. But bothering them means we lose another bunch of audience members to Nick Jr's crap tastic line up of shows pretending to be interactive. Brother, if you ain't a video or computer game, you ain't interactive.

Personally, I have always felt EW should be a standalone show for younger audiences. I agree with Norden here... it is basically 90% fluff. I do like the E-mail segment and the cartoon channel inserts, and the occassional wisecrack from Elmo... but do we REALLY need to ask a Baby how it uses a tissue? Especially since all it does is drool and grab Elmo's nose? And do we really need to know a birthday cake can't tap dance. If your child's seeing dancing cakes, then you may want to contact a physician...

wwfpooh

Reaction score
But bothering them means we lose another bunch of audience members to Nick Jr's crap tastic line up of shows pretending to be interactive.
Speaking of said drivel, why do kids of today eat the stuff up? It's not entertaining, nor is it truly beneficial for said kids in the long run, anyway.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Speaking of said drivel, why do kids of today eat the stuff up? It's not entertaining, nor is it truly beneficial for said kids in the long run, anyway.
Cuz it's hip? Seriously, I feel that people would set their selves on fire and jump into oncoming traffic if they were told it was "hip." And that's not something new, either.

And how hip are these? take a show called Yo Gabba Gabba... the characters were designed to look like 1970's Japanese kids shows, something I give them credit for. Apparently, they're so hip, Kid Robot made large vynal dolls of them for adult collectors. BUT don't be fooled. It may look like a 1970's Japanese kid show, but Brother, it doesn't feel like one. I've seen some of them myself, especially Kure Kure Takora (look it up!), and it's pretty violent, weird and wild stuff. Curse Kid Robot for not getting the license to Kure Kure Takora instead.

But this is starting to get wildly off topic... suffice to say, a LOT of the changes SS has made reflected the Nick Jr. style of programming. Journey to Ernie was meant to reflect Dora and Blue style of education.... of course, frankly, SS did a better job when they actually worked with it. Even then, everything BUT EW and occasionally Hewo Guy has been erased from the show... JTE, Monster Clubhouse, and especially the epic failure of "Time to Play."

The point of the matter is, SS wants to change back to the glory days... but they smurfed themselves royally, and can't change out of fear of losing that audience.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
The point of the matter is, SS wants to change back to the glory days... but they smurfed themselves royally, and can't change out of fear of losing that audience.
I've always wonder if SW were to stop their way of how they produce the show and go back to the old way how many of the audience would they lose?

Look at all of us older fans. Would they gather more of them up to start watching it again that is to get enough to start making it like in the older days or would it just go right down the drain?