Master Replicas Gonzo Photo Puppet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
It's a real pity about this replica. From the photos, Gonzo doesn't seem to have any life in him at all and I agree with everyone about the eyes. I can't imagine that anyone will ever make anything like this of the Muppet characters so I'll buy it. I really don't want to jeopardize the replica line's future either. Maybe the final product, once we have it in our hands, will be more like the Gonzo we know and love. Also, I wish MR would get some good posers/photographers in to take the promotional shots. Really good photos would make a lot of difference to people's opinions, I'm sure.

chequepoint

Reaction score
I can't imagine that anyone will ever make anything like this of the Muppet characters so I'll buy it.
Its these remarks that MR will use as a free license to not care. Despite all of the flaws, people will buy it anyways because "eh, its better than anything else" .

I've got $200 waiting for MR to earn it. They haven't yet. Not on Gonzo.

Scott foam is the answer. Make it right, or don't make it. Under UV protected glass it will last longer than I will. Most of the people complaining that it will degrade have probably never even owned a scott foam puppet.

Under constant use under stage lighting, the high stress areas will wear out in 6 months. Kept out of UV light, in a protected environment, there are no worries. PLUS I'll throw this out. Yes $200 is a lot of money, but not really. Not when you'll spend that on an ipod that won't last 5 years. Not when most of us would pay 20X that amount for a degraded, used, busted, real gonzo. If its made of scott foam, and I get 15 years of happiness looking at it, fantastic. If it looks like crap and lasts forever, who cares.

BUT I will say that all of our comments are a waste, because what we've seen is just a mock up from what I can tell. It's the same poser that was shown at Comic Con, with some cheap photoshopping.

I hate being such a downer on here. It just drives me crazy because I love gonzo, but I'm not such a blind cheerleader that I will support a subpar product. MR is clearly about to enter some shakey ground with the lack of a Star Wars license. They should be going over the top to create the best for us, so that we can help to carry their jobs into the future.

Here's hoping for fozzie.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Its these remarks that MR will use as a free license to not care. Despite all of the flaws, people will buy it anyways because "eh, its better than anything else" .

Scott foam is the answer. Make it right, or don't make it. Under UV protected glass it will last longer than I will. Most of the people complaining that it will degrade have probably never even owned a scott foam puppet.

Under constant use under stage lighting, the high stress areas will wear out in 6 months. Kept out of UV light, in a protected environment, there are no worries. PLUS I'll throw this out. Yes $200 is a lot of money, but not really. Not when you'll spend that on an ipod that won't last 5 years. Not when most of us would pay 20X that amount for a degraded, used, busted, real gonzo. If its made of scott foam, and I get 15 years of happiness looking at it, fantastic. If it looks like crap and lasts forever, who cares.

BUT I will say that all of our comments are a waste, because what we've seen is just a mock up from what I can tell. It's the same poser that was shown at Comic Con, with some cheap photoshopping.

I hate being such a downer on here. It just drives me crazy because I love gonzo, but I'm not such a blind cheerleader that I will support a subpar product. MR is clearly about to enter some shakey ground with the lack of a Star Wars license. They should be going over the top to create the best for us, so that we can help to carry their jobs into the future.

I completely agree with everything you say here and I've been saying it for months, but people are so scared that foam will fall apart in a year. I have a puppet that's over 30 years old and the foam is still good in it. Ask Fozzie... he's seen my puppet.

The other thing I suspected is that the new pictures are still the pantyhose nose Gonzo, but they are too far away to see the mesh detail. I have two pictures of him from Comic-Con and the one that is farther away, you can't see the detail, just a smooth-looking nose. On the close-up, the detail is very visible.

And the other thing, I think they still didn't make the eyelids so you can pose them wide open or normal. Travis said at Comic-Con that would look into it for Gonzo, but that it was too late for Animal. Animal's eyelids move, but they don't stay in place on their own.

I've said it before, I'm not going to buy an okay product, it has to be pretty close to perfect.

:stick_out_tongue:

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score

I would rather have a Gonzo that lasts a lifetime and doesn't look exact than and exact replica that will last 10 years max. I am not buying this line because they are exact replicas nor do I need them to be "exact".
Nothing that has ever been released before to do with the Muppets has been 100% perfect and nor has anything by any other company to be honest.
Mass production on anything will undoubtably produce some flaws that the original didn't have. The Muppet movies we buy on DVD are good quality but not as good as the original master film. We expect that so don't complain. I don't see these replicas as being any different. Unless each replica is personally crafted from the same materials buy a real Muppet puppet craftsman (ie Terry), these cheaper replicas will not be as good.
Basically, we come down to this; if you don't like the finished product, don't buy it. But remember, if MR don't sell enough, the future of this line will be in jeopardy. MR won't mind because they have many lines that they sell. We will be the ones to lose out.
Also, some of you might have $4000 to spend on "degraded, used, busted, real Gonzo" while some of us can only afford to spend $200 on something thats close, not exact but close.

Telly

Reaction score
How many people bought the Muppet Movie even after they took out the part where Kermit asks for a Grasshopper? In some odd way that's sort of like this.

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
Just to let everyone know. Amy sent me a post regarding Gonzo. It is scary how everyone is in such a hype about him. Some peoples expectations are still too high or too demanding. They want water in h*e*l*l too for all I know, but I am going to take him for what he is.

Here is what Amy sent me:

Hello,

The pics we put up are of the prototype. Things will be changed before the final production run. We just wanted to share the pics we have right now.

This is the problem we have about deciding whether to share prototype pics with everyone. We want to but everyone gets upset saying this shouldn't be there and this doesn't look right. You have to remember it is a prototype. There will be changes.

We are working with Disney and the best Muppet people around. It will be as it should by the time it is in final production.

Amy

So I hope that makes any of you feel better that they are still working on him even as we speak.

doc hopper

Reaction score
Just aim the eyes closer to the nose and I'm in. Whatever. Let's just get this one over with and move on to Fozzie and other characters that are less difficult to reproduce.

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
I have my faith in MR. I have been with them so many years now and they have never let me down as far as their items. I have ALWAYS been impressed and we all should give them a little slack. I am just thankful that this is one of the best lines that I have seen in a long time. I will alway be a continued loyal customer as long as the photo puppets keep rolling in....and maybe other things if it catches my eye. So give them time to work things out and don't jump the first thing you see. We all want Gonzo and the rest so let just wait and see the final product....you guys might be suprised in the end! :wink:

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
I have my faith in MR. I have been with them so many years now and they have never let me down as far as their items. I have ALWAYS been impressed and we all should give them a little slack. I am just thankful that this is one of the best lines that I have seen in a long time. I will alway be a continued loyal customer as long as the photo puppets keep rolling in....and maybe other things if it catches my eye. So give them time to work things out and don't jump the first thing you see. We all want Gonzo and the rest so let just wait and see the final product....you guys might be suprised in the end! :wink:
Well said! :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.