Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
That was a very informative critique'!
I'll rent it when it comes out, so that I may see
his cameo.

:stick_out_tongue: A good excuse to see Kermit!

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I saw the movie last night and loved it. Personally I think the whole point of the cameo was the fact that they wanted to show this was a magical place (come on isn't Kermit the first thing most of us here think of when we think of magic). I took my one year old daughter and she behaved and stayed awake (two things that have never happenned before when it comes to movies at home or in theaters.... though I've only taken her before when they do kids movies during the summer...the whole place is filled with screaming children and she slept most of the time anyways).
okay I'm rambling a bit but my point is the movie was good...it did not rely on toilet humor or explosions to make a point...in fact the special effects were not to over the top and provided just the right amount of magic the film needed. Also the relience on puppeteers for this film was nice to see as well (some special effects like an adorable sock monkey were done the old fashioned way). I think a lot of people will pass this movie up because it is too kiddie (including the kids of the world who would rather watch a sports competition instead of enjoying the magic of childhood. I encourage all of you to just forget your an adult for a little while and let the magic in the world back into your life. Thats what the purpose of this movie is. To see the magic inside each of us and in the world. Sometimes we become so jaded that we tend to only want to see the darker parts of life in a movie or a story. We become cynical about family films that have no swearing or violence or sex in them. I've wanted to see this movie since I heard about it and my expectations were met (not like when I read Great Expectations which was nowhere as good as I thought it would be). Anyways I do enbcourage all of you to see this movie. Give it a try. I mean if Kermit thinks its good enough to be in then we really should support the little fabricated Green guy right :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
As far as Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate factory goes, I am kinda glad that they didn't have any call backs to the previous film. The only place call backs belong in is a remake of something (i.e. hiring a cast member of the original to have a cameo, having an at the moment musician cover a song, or reference the film in any way). I felt this was just making another movie based on the same source, just a little more accurately. It would be as if someone made a Wizard of Oz movie based entirely off the book, and not to be related to the Judy garland 1930's film. Everyone would expect a remake, but it would be completely different. And some fans of the book would want it that way.

AS for Magorium? Well, Kermit or not, I am not sure I really want to see it. I would be able to sneak into that one and leave as soon as our Frog in cheif has his cameo. But that's sorta dishonest. Plus, they time the movies so they all start in a fashion that you can't leave one at the end and immediately see another.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to see somebody got many of the same things out of that film as I did. Like the film - you have to want to believe and enjoy your time spent at Magoriums or you probably won't be pleased with it. And if you're seeing it just for Kermit then you might want to wait for the DVD. I'm glad to have supported the film - for the movie's sake and for Kermit! :smile:

About Burton's Charlie - remake or not I don’t believe in hard and fast rules for anything. Any good creative decision making should be done on a case-by-case basis. I just wanted to hear that one song in it - somewhere, anywhere. I enjoy Tim Burton's work, but the movie was missing an extra spark here and there. Depp's performance was amazing, as always. I tend to forget just how good he is until seeing another film performance. I have never seen an actor more dedicated to a director! :cool:

Back to Magorium’s, I liked the sock-puppet performance too. That simple bit of puppetry was one of the things that related to the audience the most. :cry:

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
It would be as if someone made a Wizard of Oz movie based entirely off the book, and not to be related to the Judy garland 1930's film. Everyone would expect a remake, but it would be completely different. And some fans of the book would want it that way.
I'm in a minority and would not want it based off the old movie which I don't care for because I'm a fan of the books and don't think it does them justice while Return to Oz did. which btw did poorly because of the exact reasons you listed.:sympathy:

Luke

Reaction score
I really didn't think Burton's Wonka stuck anymore to the book than the original movie. Infact i thought it went further off. I enjoyed it but was expecting more -effects and casting were good though. The original seemed more in the style of what i would expect from a movie based on that book.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
As far as the Wonka films, I don't judge the new one by close it is or isn't to the book. As a movie, it was cute, but just not particularly deep. And actually I think the original film (which I love lol) perhaps made a wise decision to stay away from the classic book and stake its own territory as a film. :smile:

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
How is the new wonka film not deep? I loved the think and I usually don't like Tim Burten.
Have you guys forgot about wonkas dad...or maybe I'm the only person who had tears in his eyes over all that..man did it choke me up.
But perhaps thats all part of knowing what its like having a father like that.
*shruggs*

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well that's a good point, I probably am unable to fully identify with the film's situation. And I think it's great that some people were moved by it; perhaps I am missing something. :smile:
I just think the emotions and message were pretty obvious and not multi layered. It wasn't bad; I could see where they were going with it and Johnny Deep and Christopher Lee are good actors. But it could have been further developed, in my opinion.

I thought the old movie was more mature in the end. But then, perhaps I identified with Wonka's disenchantment with the world. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I feel Burton's Wonka was missing something too. I felt at arm's length - more viewer than immersed participant. That's the opposite I felt with Edward Scissorhands. That film reached me on many levels. I'd say Burton's best. We'll see what Sweeney Todd offers. :concern:

I saw Bee Movie yesterday and have to say that I enjoyed Mr. Magorium more. Bee wasn't a bad film, but all over the place and not particularly interesting. Beeeautiful animation and a few good performances. I liked Seinfeld's Bee expressions. :big_grin:

:attitude: I admit, Magorium is a theatrically released TV movie, but it is better than some of the stuff out there...well, until today. Expect Enchanted to take off in a huge way. That film's going to hit all green lights all the way to the bank! Magorium will vanish quickly and likely unnoticed.