New behind-the-scenes book to celebrate Fraggle Rock

Redsonga

Reaction score
You know, in my head I sound like Lisa to :confused: (You know, how everyone has an in their head voice and then the voice everyone else hears....
Anyway, I've seen the UK Doc and I don't really like him, I like our USA/Canada Doc better, he just had more spunk to me, call him too happy go lucky or normal or crazy if you want but... really dark and mysterious in the 'real' world just doesn't link to me with FR as well, because I liked how many of the Doc parts were light hearted and then you went down to the rock and it was more dark and otherworldly in contrast...It balanced things to me, and really made the rare times when our Doc was dealing with dark/creepy/sad things stand out when they did happen....

Of course, maybe it is just a case of having grown up with different Doc's so our tastes are different, and it's not some much that one is better than the other or really missing out on anything, its just what we like, and might have to do with the different reasons they made each part of the world have their own 'Doc' in the first place...
To me all the other Doc's that I've been able to find video of just come off as wooden next to our USA/Canada Doc, but then again, he's the one I'm use to and love like a pretend uncle *lol*:smile:.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm not going to say whether Doc or the Captain is better; it's apples and oranges. I will say though, I was amazed at how much darker and introspective the Captain's scenes are. We really are often deprived in the US, lol. Still I think Doc's scenes have humor and superb chemistry between Doc and Sprocket which is hard to find. Plus Doc's Moment on the phone with Ned was brillant acting.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I'm not going to say whether Doc or the Captain is better; it's apples and oranges. I will say though, I was amazed at how much darker and introspective the Captain's scenes are. We really are often deprived in the US, lol. Still I think Doc's scenes have humor and superb chemistry between Doc and Sprocket which is hard to find. Plus Doc's Moment on the phone with Ned was brillant acting.
I can't help it, I like slapstick over dark..I grew up watching a lot of shows from the UK to, so I guess it is just my personal character and taste. I'm not saying that the UK character can't be good for anyone, he just isn't for me and I don't feel like I was ever deprived from not knowing him before:embarrassed: No hate meant, to each their own :excited:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I can't help it, I like slapstick over dark..I grew up watching a lot of shows from the UK to, so I guess it is just my personal character and taste. I'm not saying that the UK character can't be good for anyone, he just isn't for me and I don't feel like I was ever deprived from not knowing him before:embarrassed: No hate meant, to each their own :excited:
Oh I agree, I don't think we should be saying one country was deprived over another. I mean if the Fraggles and the Gorgs managed to work things out, we should be able to, lol.

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
You know, now that we have learned that the Season Four box set has been moved to October, it dosn't seem like they really had to delay the book as well. I know it's not likely to happen, but they could still try to release it in September.
In order to produce each item well (with proper attention to detail and quality), considerable effort and time needs to be put into each.

My guess is that, with the two deadlines so close together (and many of the same people probably working on both projects), there just isn't enough time to do them both well.

Luke

Reaction score
I agree, Doc did have a good chemistry with Sprocket, probably better than the Captain in that sense. I just thought the more darker Captain and especially the lighthouse setting was more suitable to the whole Fraggle "ROCK" concept than a humourous Doc - its supposed to be Sprocket doing the humor. It's not a patriotic thing to me, i've seen both. In fact if i could maybe have Doc (but a little less slapstick) in the lighthouse setting it would have probably been perfect. I thought Doc/Captain should maybe be a little mysterious but Fulton Mckay was probably a bit too dark.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I agree, Doc did have a good chemistry with Sprocket, probably better than the Captain in that sense. I just thought the more darker Captain and especially the lighthouse setting was more suitable to the whole Fraggle "ROCK" concept than a humourous Doc - its supposed to be Sprocket doing the humor. It's not a patriotic thing to me, i've seen both. In fact if i could maybe have Doc (but a little less slapstick) in the lighthouse setting it would have probably been perfect. I thought Doc/Captain should maybe be a little too mysterious but Fulton Mckay was probably a bit too dark.
It's really interesting to think about! That's true that Captain fit better with the dark weirdness of Fraggle Rock and I love that. And in the same way, Doc fit with the Fraggles' humor and character relationships. And his scene with Ned on the phone fit with the show's more adult themes.

Redsonga

Reaction score
It's really interesting to think about! That's true that Captain fit better with the dark weirdness of Fraggle Rock and I love that. And in the same way, Doc fit with the Fraggles' humor and character relationships. And his scene with Ned on the phone fit with the show's more adult themes.
Maybe that explains why to me, FR is more about the humor and character relationships:smile:.

Luke

Reaction score
Maybe that explains why to me, FR is more about the humor and character relationships:smile:.
The rock parts still had a bit of a mysterious and magical atmosphere to them tho, that wasn't a major thing to you? The character relationships were really important, i thought there were elements of humor about it, little comments, asides or skits that were funny, but it really didn't come over as a slapstick thing for me like the Muppets do. I think the whole message thing was part of that.

Redsonga

Reaction score
The rock parts still had a bit of a mysterious and magical atmosphere to them tho, that wasn't a major thing to you? The character relationships were really important, i thought there were elements of humor about it, little comments, asides or skits that were funny, but it really didn't come over as a slapstick thing for me like the Muppets do. I think the whole message thing was part of that.
Of course they were magical, but I never thought of that as something I sort of had to go the extra mile to soak up, the characters did that for me by treating the magic as such and everyday part of their culture ^.^. I never thought of it as mysterious or scary in an otherworldly way even if it was a secret world, it was sort of a natural one to me^.^ ..But then, I was raised in a woods, often took walks at night, and easily see magic in those sort of places even today :smile:.
The character relationships were really important, i thought there were elements of humor about it, little comments, asides or skits that were funny, but it really didn't come over as a slapstick thing for me like the Muppets do.
It may not have been the overcrazness of the muppet show, but I think in it's own way FR was just as funny. It was very character driven IMHO. The moment they all came across something new and exciting it was often the fraggles themselves as characters that made the story, not the whatever it was :smile:.
I think the whole message thing was part of that.
While the message was a part of the rock, it never came across to me as a dark one, it always seemed to be full of light and hope and magic , and not some forbidding serious thing that shadowed the show around...Of course there were dark times when not listening to the message brought trouble and near death, but that nearly always came from the actions of the characters themselves rather than any dark nature of the rock IMHO. Of course there were dangerous places in the rock, but there are those in every world :excited:...I've always thought many things eat fraggles....