Your Gonzo Replica Pictures

Davina

Reaction score
told hubby about the flocked paper...
his response was
"Oh cool, so you could do X's and dollar signs and other weird things"

so.. I think once we get Gonzo and Animal.. he's going to be playing with pupil options for displays... heh...

and for clothing size.. I think it was mentioned somewhere that Gonzo takes 18 month clothing...

Telly

Reaction score
No. It was just a solid colored one. I'd kill for an actual replica of the one he wore in Muppets Take Manhattan

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
New Photos

This shows a direct comparison pre and post alteration from front and side.

Still working on the focus a bit. Also painted the lid shell and painted the green lids to make them match. I may tweak the color a bit, but I'll see how I like it in a few days. :concern:

I must note that the eye focus was more off than I had imagined. Over half a centimeter for each pupil! I can understand a little discrepancy, but that's quite a bit. However, an easy fix for anyone and it probably ended up better having each person personally place them.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
FedEX brought my Gonzo today... took some pics with just Gonzo and one with him, kermit and animal.. I'll post em soon tonight...

:wisdom:

Telly

Reaction score
Wow! That's REALLY an improvement Jamie!how did you know what size to cut the pupils?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Wow! That's REALLY an improvement Jamie!how did you know what size to cut the pupils?
Thanks. I just used my plastic stencil set and placed it over his existing pupils to find which circle best fit before scraping them off and cutting the new ones. Easy peasy. :wink:

I'm still trying to get them just right. I find myself looking to movie stills rather than poser pics for the eye focus ratio. :concern:

I feel like Gonzo is now with me (and I hardly notice the nose now).

Telly

Reaction score
Jamie....If I send you my Gonzo...will you make pupils for him? :stick_out_tongue:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Wow, Jamie! I love the pics. That's a huge improvement! He really seems to come alive and really looks a lot more like the weirdo we've come to love... and it just goes to show how a little change in pupil placement can really make-or-break the entire look and feel of the character.

But despite all the tweeking and improvements, I don't know if you'll ever get him to look as good as his predecessor: http://www.amazon.com/Muppets-18-Gonzo-Plush-Doll/dp/B000ESAU76 :wink:

Now it's not that I don't love the purple tux (because I really do love his little suit), but I would be interested to know if anyone has created (or is planning to create) a wardrobe change for their Gonzo replica. I would love to see one of these guys in slacks and a little sweater vest. Are there any good Muppet-sized tailors out there?

antonydavanzo

Reaction score
:wisdom: Oh sweeeet! MuppetCaper recommended this black flocked adhesive paper from scientificsonline.com. Along with a varied size circle stencil set I picked up at a local art supply store and pair of sharp scissors I replaced Gonzo's pupils! It makes such a world of difference! :concern:

The wonderful thing is that this material adhesive, while very sticky, has a sort of "give" to it so that it may be peeled up and re-placed as needed without much fuss or tearing. And having such a large sheet of the material means pupils for life! I liked Gonzo so much I did Animal and darn, he's fantastic. :halo:

I'm still adjusting the placement for the right Zen, but I am now so pleased with the pupils that it will never be a factor with my replicas again! I'm still tweaking the placement from muliple angles, poses and lighting variations.

Here is my first attempt.

Now they look good straight on - like they're looking at the camera (as Muppets tend to do).
Much much better........you were unlucky I think as MuppetCaper's Gonzo looked fine, I hope its not a hit or miss with the pupils. We need to see KermieBaby47 and A Micky Muppet's pic to get a better indication as to their pupil placement!