What type of animal are Fraggles really?

Beauregard

Reaction score
Has anyone even seen a Fraggle parents or child? (I've not seen all the series, so I'm not sure) Maybe they grow, like sponges. Or maybe they are composed of hundreds and hundreds of magic-dust-like creatures composing together to form a fully grown creature, like those light-giving bugs in "The Day the Music Died". I think maybe we should open our minds a little more to even more options in the Fraggle world. After all, Marjory was never born...I'm assuming.

Perhaps the Fraggles are born from beautiful flute music, bursting into the air like bubbles the drying out...Or grow underground like Radishes.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
In the opening theme song and sometimes in early group shots, you can see Fraggle mothers and infants. You also see Fraggles running around that are clearly way younger than even Wembley and Tosh. The "light-giving bugs" are Ditzies. They weren't so much bugs as just specks of light, though that could just be because they used the tips of a fiber optic-equipped flashlight (like you might get at a carnival or something) to portray them.

Also, Marjory sings about her mother during one song and mentions an uncle. She springs to life primarily when Philo and Gunge find her, though we don't really hear her side of the story, just the rats', who might only be assuming their presence is what made her "born".

Beauregard

Reaction score
That's true...She has sung about being a little trashheap, and her mother giving *her* advice. I still like the idea that Fraggles may come to life through some kind of musical transformation.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I tend to believe, since the Muppetverse has "real" animals as well as Muppet ones, that all "muppets" began magically at some point. They may reproduce "normally" now, but I think, whatever the "first" muppets were, first gained sentience through magic, differentiating them from "normal" creatures.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I'd love one day for all the main MC fanfic writer's to join together, debate the whole situation out and write some kind of full-history of the Muppets. To battle out questions like, why does the Real-dog talk in KSY, and why does Piggy have a pet dog that doesn't speak :stick_out_tongue:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
*sniff* I went to all that trouble ... to do just that ... *sniff*

Beauregard

Reaction score
*sniff* I went to all that trouble ... to do just that ... *sniff*
Haha! Oh, I know you did, hon! But I think literally everyone has their own complete history in their head, but not the patience to make it fit into a story.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
*sniff* Well, okay. :smile:

I agree. A thread SHOULD be created. What would it be called? "The origin of everything?" Where would it go?

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well, I always believed Fraggles gave "live births" like other mammals. I really don't think they're the egg laying type, especially when you consider the Wembley's egg episode. If Fraggles WERE hatched from eggs, why would they laugh at Wembley? At least ONE Fraggle there would have to know the truth to where Fraggle babies come from.

And they're probably of the rodent variety, considering the Gorgs treat them as such and they "live in the wall" (technically) of Doc's shed. But you know, they stand out as their own unique species, too.
Quoteth me from this very topic:

I think fraggles are the type not to pop another younger fraggles bubble . Aka, 'aw are'nt they cute?'.
Plus, I actually think fraggles don't really know (at least the fraggles in that part of the rock, others might be more logical) all the answers to those questions in the first place, they might still see the wonder of birth as a magic thing (Basicly, I see them as being only at the level of know how that the only way they could find out things like that would be to cut open an egg, and I do not think they would have the heart for that, even on a bad egg..)...
Anyway, it's all good I think, we all write our own ideas . I'm just glad to be able to have my own vision of the fraggle culture
I'd love one day for all the main MC fanfic writer's to join together, debate the whole situation out and write some kind of full-history of the Muppets. To battle out questions like, why does the Real-dog talk in KSY, and why does Piggy have a pet dog that doesn't speak :stick_out_tongue:
I don't think that is a good idea. The only way something like that would work is if everyone agreed on one way of viewing things, which would end in everyone else being seen as 'wrong'. After all, would we really want fanfic to be that limited? To squash the less popular or 'logical' ideas with that of the larger groups and/or the fanfic writers that have been around longer and have more 'pull'?
I don't think anyone wants that, and in my eleven years of fanfic writing that is all I have ever seen those types of topics become, big trouble that hurts feelings (Harry Potter fandom, for one, is like this to the tenth power:embarrassed:.)
All and all I think we are much better all on our own fanfic writing islands, seeing canon as we want to and having total freedom with it without a right and wrong...I think that is how the characters would want it to :3.

If you want to make a topic with details of you version of the muppet world, no one is stopping anyone, I know I have one : ).