Muppet Babies: Puppets vs. Cartoon

Which do you like better? (tell why in the thread)

• Muppet Babies from TMTM (Puppet Versions)

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Muppet Babies Cartoon Versions

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding, I just disagreed with some things I read. It's not your posts in particular. And I wasn't just talking about early to mid '80s either. Perhaps that's where the confusion is.

Honestly, I'm not trying to make it a big thing, just casually disagreeing. I'm sorry if it seems any other way.:smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Disney Channel was not basic cable where I live...
Anyway, I am talking about the early 90's mostly for me, I was only seven when the 90's started after all :3.
After 95' our tv died and was never replaced until I was sixteen (with only a VCR) so I guess I am not a normal case really :insatiable:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
After 95' our tv died and was never replaced until I was sixteen (with only a VCR) so I guess I am not a normal case really :insatiable:
Eh don't worry about it, I watched way too much TV as a kid, when I could have been doing other things. :smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Eh don't worry about it, I watched way too much TV as a kid, when I could have been doing other things.
I read books :eek: . The ones with no pictures *lol*
I guess no tv helps you to become a bookworm...
and buy a big tv when you move out :coy:

But MB was aimed right at my generation so I have nothing but nice feelings about it, voices and all :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I read books :eek: . The ones with no pictures *lol*
I guess no tv helps you to become a bookworm...
and buy a big tv when you move out :coy:
Well seriously, good for you! I had real trouble with reading. I mean, I had no trouble learning to read. But I couldn't bring myself to enjoy it, I liked TV more. However, I discovered I loved reading books ABOUT the things I already loved! So I ended up being one of the few kids I knew who enjoyed reading non fiction! So you see, it all works out, lol. :wisdom:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding, I just disagreed with some things I read. It's not your posts in particular. And I wasn't talking about early to mid '80s either. Perhaps that's where the confusion is.
I think several things were getting lumped together there.

On another note, projects like the Henson Hour and Muppets Tonight didn't take off. Muppet Christmas Carol (received some acclaim) and Muppet Treasure Island didn't fare well at the box office. There was a void for many years of current exposure for Muppets puppetry. Theories on that aside, Muppet Babies filled that gap in Muppet history. They didn't swipe it away; they were simply the main Muppet game going on whether in new shows or syndication. They were the most prevalent and accessible Muppets for many years while the Henson Company floundered around with the brand. Looking back on that part of history makes me glad that Disney has ownership and they're doing much more with them than many expected.

However, I am glad that Disney is strengthening the original Muppets brand before the Muppet Babies cartoon representations. I wouldn't have imagined it because I'm sure Babies merchandise would sell. I hope it comes around again, but it's good to see Disney building the Muppets back from the roots up. Again, just my opinion, but I see a much stronger complete Muppets brand being built that way. :smile:

Also, I have always wanted to see puppet versions of Baby Beaker, Sweetums and the Mayhem. Check the main page on Easter for the entire Muppet Babies menu with created versions of Baby Pepe and Baby Rizzo. It's sickeningly cute and was made from love! :coy:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well seriously, good for you! I had real trouble with reading. I mean, I had no trouble learning to read. But I couldn't bring myself to enjoy it, I liked TV more. However, I discovered I loved reading books ABOUT the things I already loved! So I ended up being one of the few kids I knew who enjoyed reading non fiction! So you see, it all works out, lol. :wisdom:
I love fiction, mostly fantasy :smile:. I hate what movies are doing to some of my favorites now. So little ones would not know a book if it hit them :coy:

I want that Baby Gonzo toy...:3

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well frogboy, it sounds like (and correct me if I'm wrong hehe) you're referring to when Muppet Babies was on in the early to mid '90s. That's true, it was one of the few Muppet programs on the air. Though, Nickelodeon's Muppet matinee definitely got people introduced to The Muppet Show and many other things at that time.

I guess when I think of Muppet Babies, I think of them as a purely '80s thing, when the rest of the Muppet projects were still huge all around. I think I can see where we're getting confused. :smile:

Ok, now I sound like Pirates of Penzance ("Do you mean "orphan", a person that has lost his parents, or "often", frequently? ! Lol)

I do hope Disney does well. Though, I'd take Muppet Babies over much of what I've seen in recent years. Still, there's always hope! :wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well frogboy, it sounds like (and correct me if I'm wrong hehe) you're referring to when Muppet Babies was on in the early to mid '90s. That's true, it was one of the few Muppet programs on the air. Though, Nickelodeon's Muppet matinee definitely got people introduced to The Muppet Show and many other things at that time.

I guess when I think of Muppet Babies, I think of them as a purely '80s thing, when the rest of the Muppet projects were still huge all around. I think I can see where we're getting confused. :smile:

Ok, now I sound like Pirates of Penzance ("Do you mean "orphan", a person that has lost his parents, or "often", frequently? ! Lol)

I do hope Disney does well. Though, I'd take Muppet Babies over much of what I've seen in recent years. Still, there's always hope! :wink:
I've generally been speaking about most of the Muppet Babies run, some on CBS some on Nick. The classic Muppet characters weren't as constant as the Muppet Babies for quite some time. Without splitting hairs, that's what I'm saying. They had the higher profile for a very long time. It both strengthened and weakened the Muppet brand in different ways. It's also why I believe they've been largely pigeon-holed as primarily children's entertainment by so many executives.

It took Jim Henson a long time to convince people to put The Muppet Show on the air in the 70s, it became an established brand in general entertainment I believe Muppet Babies (for various reasons already stated) inadvertently rolled-back the perception of the Muppet characters and now Disney appears to be trying to bridge that gap. Whew...hope that clears it up. You might disagree with the idea in whole or part, but my meaning should be clearer now.

I also think that's some of the reason for the few "snarkier moments" in some of the recent Muppet projects. They were trying to distinguish themselves, not only as relevant, but away from being children's entertainment. Some of those moments have been to their detriment. I'm sure you'd agree with me on that.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Whew...hope that clears it up.
Yeah it definitely does, hehe, glad that's worked out!

I also think that's some of the reason for the few "snarkier moments" in some of the recent Muppet projects. They were trying to distinguish themselves, not only as relevant, but away from being children's entertainment. Some of those moments have been to their detriment. I'm sure you'd agree with me on that.
I do definitely agree that they might be trying to make themselves look more adult now, but just end up seeming immature. I just don't think Muppets Babies is the culprit, so to speak, hehe. It was a good show all around (and I know you didn't say it wasn't :wink: ) and I don't blame it for the damage that was done later on.

Jim was the leader, and when he was gone, the focus became confused. I would have been shocked if it hadn't happened to be honest. What he did can't be easily repeated, as you would agree. :smile: