Disney greenlights "The Muppet Show" comics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
When creating from a master work an artist should reference the actual source rather than merely what they perceive it to be.
Hallelujah! I was having this conversation earlier today with a friend of mine and I said the same thing. With as much as there is out there for reference, this should be easy work for someone.

I think we should all do a comic strip for the heck of it and post it in a new thread. Do something in our own style and the same strip true to the Muppets' design. Not for grading, but for fun.

Should we start a new thread in Fun and Games section?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hallelujah! I was having this conversation earlier today with a friend of mine and I said the same thing. With as much as there is out there for reference, this should be easy work for someone.

I think we should all do a comic strip for the heck of it and post it in a new thread. Do something in our own style and the same strip true to the Muppets' design. Not for grading, but for fun.

Redsonga and I have been chatting about some ideas. I thought several different, but none official, Gonzo origin stories would make a nice comic book collection. Kind of like the Joker's ambiguous origins in the Killing Joke. Nobody knows for sure what story is real. That's how I still feel about that fella.

Master works should be directly referenced for future renderings otherwise it becomes like a child’s game of telephone when the result doesn’t resemble the origin. That’s how Gonzo gets a blue nose in print for over twenty years. To be fair it was blue to begin with, I guess.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Yeah, but Grover was once green and they don't keep coloring him green (do they?) :smile:

I think Gonzo's nose needs a special coloring on it and I know the best artist for that job! He's a frog, and he's a boy, and he's 4! Ha ha.

You know, Lucasfilm sometimes picks some artists from their fansites and message boards. Kind of wish that would happen if they do the different art styles kind of publication.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Personally, I do like this guy's style to some extent. The problem is, he made the characters too much his own. And sometimes when you draw licensed characters, or someone else's product long enough, they no longer resemble the character in question.

Sometimes when I draw something I've drawn way too long, I have to pull out the old source and re-train myself to draw something.

I will say, I like how everyone BUT Kermit looks. Only because he has WAY too much of an upper lip. I swear he looks like something I've seen before.

Super Scooter

Reaction score

frogboy4 said:
Redsonga and I have been chatting about some ideas. I thought several different, but none official, Gonzo origin stories would make a nice comic book collection. Kind of like the Joker's ambiguous origins in the Killing Joke. Nobody knows for sure what story is real. That's how I still feel about that fella.
Oh, I like this idea! I'd do it. It'd be neat to get a bunch of people drawing their own "Gonzo origin" comics, or something like that, then have them collected together in one thread. I like that idea a lot! :concern:

So, when do we start? :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but Grover was once green and they don't keep coloring him green (do they?) :smile:

I think Gonzo's nose needs a special coloring on it and I know the best artist for that job! He's a frog, and he's a boy, and he's 4! Ha ha.

You know, Lucasfilm sometimes picks some artists from their fansites and message boards. Kind of wish that would happen if they do the different art styles kind of publication.
Aw (blushes). Shameless plug for the Gonzo concept I was speaking about. :concern:

I still think the reason Gonzo's nose has always been blue has to do with limited color choices from the 70s and early 80s. Now everything is lasers, specific shades and gradient colors. Disney seems to have phased in a more purplish nose for Gonzo, but it's still blue sometimes. I asked the real Gonzo in person last year, but he was shy about it. It really is so many colors that painting it one flat shade never looks right.

I'm still looking forward to these uploaded comics pages. Are they up yet?

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
I still think the reason Gonzo's nose has always been blue has to do with limited color choices from the 70s and early 80s. Now everything is lasers, specific shades and gradient colors. Disney seems to have phased in a more purplish nose for Gonzo, but it's still blue sometimes. I asked the real Gonzo in person last year, but he was shy about it. It really is so many colors that painting it one flat shade never looks right.
Actually, there are two official pantone colors for Gonzo's nose. The one that is essentially blue goes on the "snout" part (the section that actually sticks out from his face) and the other one, which a purplish color, goes everywhere else that is exposed foam (except his lower lip, of course, which is pink). So, yes, you are correct, it is not one flat shade, but two, blended together where they meet.

:stick_out_tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.