Editing Posts...

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hehe...Good point.

As long as someone were to make a note of the edits they did, yeah, it would make sense.

I just have that tiny itch of a fear that once we have the power to edit, by Gosh, we'll edit. Hehe!

Bea:zany:{But did I include this in my original post? Kidding ya ;P}regard

Redsonga

Reaction score
Hehe...Good point.

As long as someone were to make a note of the edits they did, yeah, it would make sense.

I just have that tiny itch of a fear that once we have the power to edit, by Gosh, we'll edit. Hehe!

Well, if no time limit to editing was something they were not use to (even though I don't know of any other forum online that has a time limit) of course someone will try to play with it, but if they are that sort of person they will get bored of just using it for fun very quickly IMHO :excited:

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
But why make sense when it's more profitable to make dollars? <Ahem> Sorry. You know I can't resist.

Beauregard said:
Yes, you did, because as of yet there is no little italicized note at the bottom of your post saying "Last edited by Beauregard at such-and-such time and date." :halo:

I can certainly understand both sides of the argument, especially with those frustrating u201D codes that tend to show up... But I personally tend to lean more towards the side of Beau's earlier post. I personally haven't been to too many other forums, so I haven't seen the never-lose-the-editing-option in practice...

I do think it would be nice to have more editing time, at least in the fanfic section... I can't begin to tell you how many times I've noticed some spelling or punctuation error in a chapter immediately after I've lost the ability to do anything about it, or the day after the post...

But I would request that a person who starts a thread could have at least an hour to edit the title of the thread! If you make a typo in a thread title and don't catch it until you hit "Submit new thread," well then, too bad. That's why we all spent many, many weeks enjoying "Vic Romano's Weekly Ceative Visuals" before a moderator noticed/had time to add in that missing letter R. :stick_out_tongue:

Redsonga

Reaction score
I personally haven't been to too many other forums, so I haven't seen the never-lose-the-editing-option in practice...
It works, it works very very well..In fact, I have never as of yet seen it be used for any bad reason :smile:.

But really, just because more people here are not use to having editing always open does not outweigh all the good it could do IMHO...I see being able to edit my stories as being able to show how much love and care I put into putting my best writers foot forward against my learning disability for all to see :smile:. Wanting that feeling should not mean I have to sell my first born to a mod, who has other things to do, to edit for me :\. (Most of all when their feeling seems to be 'oh we don't/don't like to edit because a few people got mad at us because misspelling was their 'style', freedom of expression, etc"). It sure isn't my 'style' *lol* Unless we are talking about characters speaking...

Beauregard

Reaction score
Wanting that feeling should not mean I have to sell my first born to a mod...
Wait a minute, we are selling children on this forum? Good heavens! :attitude:

Bea:zany:{What's the going rate on a first-born these days? :wink:}regard

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The issue is that once someone has posted and everyone's replied to them...If they then go and change the original post, suddenly all the following posts are pointless for someone reading the thread without having realised that there's been edits.

Someone could say one reactionary, cause a stir, and then change it to something innocent later in the day (or week) and everyone else could end up looking like they are trying to start a fight over nothing.
These are the main reasons there is a limit to the edit time. Before we had time limits this was an issue on multiple occasions.

Redsonga

Reaction score
These are the main reasons there is a limit to the edit time. Before we had time limits this was an issue on multiple occasions.
Well, it seems a bit silly with regards to the fanfic section where I think it could only help ones writing:smile:

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well if the editing time was changed, it might be for only a few more hours to avoid the issues discussed above. It’s always a good idea to re-read your posts immediately after they are posted to be sure everything looks and sounds the way you intended.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well if the editing time was changed, it might be for only a few more hours to avoid the issues discussed above. It’s always a good idea to re-read your posts immediately after they are posted to be sure everything looks and sounds the way you intended.
I do, but because of my learning disability I miss things even then until hours and hours later..I really know that I'm not alone in this for what it is worth...
Anyway, I don't want to start a debate *sigh*:sympathy:. It's obvious that you had a few bad things happen, but I just thought I would chime in and say that most forums do have the ability to always edit, and although there are one or two bad apples it really has not reduced any of them to flaming piles of words, and I have been a member of one for seven years:excited:...
So I really think it could work if you ever turn it on again:smile:...

Convincing John

Reaction score
I agree with the "fanfic edit feature" if it could happen. (Jabs thumb back towards my fanfic in another thread).

Believe me, I read my chapters about 3 times over (in Microsoft Word no less!) before posting and still there's some errors that sneak through.

Any way we can fix 'em after the time expires?

Convincing John