The State of the Jim Henson Company

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Around the web it appears that people have many opinions about the projects coming out of the Jim Henson Company. There's the good - Fraggle Rock movie, Puppet Up, Emmet Otter stage musical and a proposed Dark Crystal sequel, the relatively new - Sid the Science Kid, Pajanamals and the Scrumps, and the controversial - Tinseltown, Unstable Fables and the Blue Elephant CG release. Of course Sesame Workshop and Disney are hard at work with Sesame Street and Muppet Show Muppets that carry on Jim's legacy, but how much is the Henson Company? :smile:

Personally I think recent efforts have been spotty. Mirrormask should never have been their initial post-Muppet-sale film offering. It should have been a Sci-Fi Channel picture at most. But they appear to be setting things right with making a Fraggle Rock motion picture and getting more puppets (traditional and digital) out there. I hope some of the cartoons they slap the Henson label on are helping to fund their company's more quality projects, but I have to admit to not being wild about them. :scary:

:search: Here's a link to a video creature shop promotional clip that offers snips from old and new projects alike. Any thoughts?

muppet baby

Reaction score
:wink:
Around the web it appears that people have many opinions about the projects coming out of the Jim Henson Company. There's the good - Fraggle Rock movie, Puppet Up, Emmet Otter stage musical and a proposed Dark Crystal sequel, the relatively new - Sid the Science Kid, Pajanamals and the Scrumps, and the controversial - Tinseltown, Unstable Fables and the Blue Elephant CG release. Of course Sesame Workshop and Disney are hard at work with Sesame Street and Muppet Show Muppets that carry on Jim's legacy, but how much is the Henson Company? :smile:

Personally I think recent efforts have been spotty. Mirrormask should never have been their initial post-Muppet-sale film offering. It should have been a Sci-Fi Channel picture at most. But they appear to be setting things right with making a Fraggle Rock motion picture and getting more puppets (traditional and digital) out there. I hope some of the cartoons they slap the Henson label on are helping to fund their company's more quality projects, but I have to admit to not being wild about them. :scary:

Here's a link to a video creature shop promotional clip that offers snips from old and new projects alike. Any thoughts?
you know frogboy i agree with you here to somewhat because of the fact that , yes some of the things that have come out have come out flat , but i knew at some point that the company would go though a slump , just as anything does say book authors , and other tv production companies . ( the simposns for example ) they have been around for so long that sometimes they just get the slump . Jim was so great though with the muppets no one could totally feel his shoes .

Some where along the way though things will pick up think Jim's son will see to that.

I still like the recent movies even though they where not as good as the organals . Muppets from space and Muppet wizard of oz . I still love them though have them on dvd love the muppets no matter what i know i must be crazy but it is the truth they have seen me though to much

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
but i knew at some point that the company would go though a slump , just as anything does say book authors , and other tv production companies. Jim was so great though with the muppets no one could totally feel his shoes.
That's very true, everyone goes through a slump, nothing to be ashamed of. :smile: And yeah we can't assume Jim's work can be redone so easily.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I think that the over all quality is not the same as back when Jim was running things. But they are doing okay in my opinion. Not the best and not the worst. I think they can get back on their feet again.:smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
I can't say if everything their doing now is good or bad, but I can say it just doesn't feel as if the company is as 'there' as it use to be. And most of my memories, since Mr. Henson died when I was very young, are from after his death in the first place so...I dunno, it just does not feel as together :frown:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I can't say if everything their doing now is good or bad, but I can say it just doesn't feel as if the company is as 'there' as it use to be. And most of my memories, since Mr. Henson died when I was very young, are from after his death in the first place so...I dunno, it just does not feel as together :frown:
That and changes within Disney's management--from Walt's family (namely desendant, Roy Disney) to Eisner & Bob's people--hasn't helped, considering they seem content to follow the current trends, a lot of which has been hit or miss at best, anyway.

Redsonga

Reaction score
That and changes within Disney's management--from Walt's family (namely desendant, Roy Disney) to Eisner & Bob's people--hasn't helped, considering they seem content to follow the current trends, a lot of which has been hit or miss at best, anyway.
I liked the early 90's muppets, I really did...:frown:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I liked the early 90's muppets, I really did...:frown:
I did too. Perhaps the fact that Sesame's scaled back Elmo's role is a message telling us that good changes are on the way. XD

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Umm... Pooh, Jamie and the others are talking about the projects done by The Jim Henson Company, not Disney and Sesame Workshop. I think you're confused. :smirk:

But I feel the Henson Company is trying to find their footing again. Without the Muppets there to keep them steady they've lost some of their balance. They're trying to regain that again with more Fraggle Rock exposure, more Puppet Up! and these Fairy-Tale specials on DVD. I'm really not sure how well any of that is working... I think as of now Fraggle Rock is their best bet. I did recently see a clip of Sid the Science Kid, however, and that looked impressive too. I think they found the right thing there too.