The State of the Jim Henson Company

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Umm... Pooh, Jamie and the others are talking about the projects done by The Jim Henson Company, not Disney and Sesame Workshop. I think you're confused. :smirk:

But I feel the Henson Company is trying to find their footing again. Without the Muppets there to keep them steady they've lost some of their balance. They're trying to regain that again with more Fraggle Rock exposure, more Puppet Up! and these Fairy-Tale specials on DVD. I'm really not sure how well any of that is working... I think as of now Fraggle Rock is their best bet. I did recently see a clip of Sid the Science Kid, however, and that looked impressive too. I think they found the right thing there too.
True. There has been much talk about Sesame Workshop and the Disney-owned Muppets, but the Jim Henson Company doesn't have those to prop up their brand anymore. This thread is about how and what Henson is doing without these once crown-jewels. They have the fantasy properties, the Fraggles, some new children's CG properties and a new alternative adult division. :wink:

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I think the company has been trying to reinvent itself too much, and you know what? It needs to. Fresh, innovative thinking and moving forward is a good thing, but I think they have been going about it the wrong way. Jim Henson did things that people are copying till this day. Puppetry has not been the same since the Muppets came on to the scene. I haven't seen the Unstable Fables or... well... any of the new CG stuff (except for Sid the Science Kid and Mirrormask if you count that) but it just seems like they're following the Shrek trend.

It should be about half and half between the old and the new. I know Disney owns the Muppets now, but I think the Jim Henson company should pursue more traditional puppetry. The Fraggle Rock movie sounds like a good direction to me. And I am not alone in saying this (my World Mythology professor agreed with me): I would love to a new Storyteller series. Something serious with puppetry that would get people interested in legends, mythology, and fairy tales without parodying them.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Something serious with puppetry that would get people interested in legends, mythology, and fairy tales without parodying them
So basically Fairie Tale Theatre, but with puppets? Cool!

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
Well, my professor and I were discussing the Storyteller Greek Myths, which we watched in class. We both agreed that it would be interesting to see myths from other countries that have interesting mythology that people rarely think about. One thing I loved about the Storyteller is that the stories were based on fairy tales that aren't as known in the US.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Well, my professor and I were discussing the Storyteller Greek Myths, which we watched in class. We both agreed that it would be interesting to see myths from other countries that have interesting mythology that people rarely think about.
Such as the Greek tales before Hercules came about.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
Even then, Greek mythology has always been in the public eye more than other mythologies. But I that is probably be due to how big of an impact ancient Greece and Rome had on Western civilization in general.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah like Norse myths are fascinating but not as well known.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think the company has been trying to reinvent itself too much, and you know what? It needs to. Fresh, innovative thinking and moving forward is a good thing, but I think they have been going about it the wrong way.
I feel JHC has been spreading itself too thin with diversifying before rebuilding its foundation. The first thing out of the gate should have been the development of the Fraggle movie followed by maybe a Labyrinth video game or animated program (to accompany the fabulous Neca figures) followed by the Dark Crystal sequel. Instead we get these funky manga things that don't have any of Jim's original spark. It's like the difference between the classic Looney Tunes and some disposable Baby Looney Tunes comic. Those Tokyo Pop people have greatly displeased this fan. It's just not Labyrinth or Dark Crystal no matter what the title says. :scary:

I think JHC is getting back on track. I like that they have different divisions, but there's no focus. I would like to see at least one grand project from them. I guess the Fraggle Movie is it.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I feel JHC has been spreading itself too thin with diversifying before rebuilding its foundation. The first thing out of the gate should have been the development of the Fraggle movie followed by maybe a Labyrinth video game or animated program (to accompany the fabulous Neca figures) followed by the Dark Crystal sequel. Instead we get these funky manga things that don't have any of Jim's original spark. It's like the difference between the classic Looney Tunes and some disposable Baby Looney Tunes comic. Those Tokyo Pop people have greatly displeased this fan. It's just not Labyrinth or Dark Crystal no matter what the title says. :scary:

I think JHC is getting back on track. I like that they have different divisions, but there's no focus. I would like to see at least one grand project from them. I guess the Fraggle Movie is it.
I agree. Though I am extremely biased against Tokyo Pop in the first place, on a creators standpoint.

I think it's fine for the Jim Henson company to try new things, and they should, but for all of the different, new projects, they just seem... mediocre. I think it's mainly because, as you said, they don't seem to have a focus.