What would it take....

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Which is good. Elmo's being slowly reverted back to being one of the gang--despite having his own segment--instead of an attention hog.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Out of the episodes aired so far, BB has been in 5 not counting EW. elmo's barley appeared outside his own segment.
There will be at least 1 or 2 with him in the plot line. Maybe it's due in part to Kevin being so busy with other responsibilities on the show... though he did perform the Grand High Triangle Lover. It was a brief appearance, though.

Only thing keeping the Bird down is the lack of stories written about him. That's my main point.

Plus, with JTE gone, they pretty much stripped away something that was a sure fire way to get him on every episode.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
And speaking of Ernie, both Bert & Ernie have been rarely seen in puppet form as of late (sans old skits & EW) and even the claymation seems to be a sporadic off/on deal. Are the bossum buddies being regulated to part-time status, too?

SSLFan

Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, BB never was a main character.
What are you saying! Big Bird has ALWAYS been a main character. I feel very offended by that dude, being a real big fan of Big Bird. That was just cruel and downright mean. You obviously don't know what your talking about.:mad:

And I got to say, I think BB will rise into popularity again someday. When is the question. And how? Kids still know who he is, and as someone has mentioned, he is the backbone of SS. That's why I've been impressed with Season 39 so far, unlike the dissapointing season 38, BB has been in more street stories.

Secretly, I believe SW has been trying to get the bird back into the spotlight. I mean, what is SS without a big 8 -foot yellow bird? Honestly, BB should've never "declined" in popularity anyway. No offense, but SW....what were you thinking? That was a brief "jumping the shark" momment for me, Lol.

:wisdom: BIG BIRD FOREVER!:wisdom:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Yeah, I mean I am just glad that the bird had lasted this long!:smile:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Because it is something worthwhile to talk about. You don't have to if you don't want to :sympathy:

It matters. And the only reason they don't mind one way or another is becuase they were not around in the past, and if what they see when they are little shapes their tastes to begin with why not Big Bird? He still has many things to teach...

*lol* You must have not watched much SS in the 80's then :coy:

I was watching almost as much in the 80's as well as the 70's and he never appeared to have been a main character.

My whole point in my rant while I'm not saying it's bad to occasionally complain about the way SS is now and want certain changes, improvements or whatever, it seems to me in some cases, especially when 1 posts something like What will it take to make someone else more of a main character than the 1 so many seem to not like very much or just wish he wasn't the main one, to me it's just someone who's selfish and feels that he or she wants the producers to rearrange stuff for their own needs. Which is wrong because as I said before SS is not for us.

I'm sure there are those who mean well but when it keeps getting brought up time and time again and certain things ger repeated, then I think that's when enough is enough.

I'll conclude by saying, if you don't like today's SS, just enjoy what it once was and wach the old youtube or Sesame Workshop clips, SSU shows if you taped them, or the DVD taht were put out by the SW.

SSLFan

Reaction score
I was watching almost as much in the 80's as well as the 70's and he never appeared to have been a main character.
Dude, what are you saying? BB, along with Ernie, Bert, Grover, Cookie, Oscar, Count, Prairie, etc. have ALWAYS been main characters. Sure, BB wasn't like "the star" or whatever, in fact none of them were star's since Jim didn't believe in leads, but BB was always part of the Core cast of muppets, which means he Is a main character. If you mean you didn't consider him the star, then I can understand, since a lot of SS fans feel that way. But not saying he's a main character just doesn't seem to make sense. I don't even see why a true fan of SS would make such a comment like that. :smirk:

Besides, Big Bird was one of the most popular muppets back then, in fact, the most popular one it seems. Where were you back then?

But anyways, I'm going to stop this discussion before this thread gets locked or something...

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I am glad most of the gang--including Elmo--has lasted this long, period.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I am glad most of the gang--including Elmo--has lasted this long, period.
Well, of course, but it does not hurt anything to just talk about how writing shapes which characters get noticed more now and then, after all, it's not like what we say here matters to them one way or another, it's just talk :smile:

Honestly, BB should've never "declined" in popularity anyway. No offense, but SW....what were you thinking? That was a brief "jumping the shark" momment for me, Lol.
I think he hasn't really, he still has so much to teach older children:smile:...

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Well, of course, but it does not hurt anything to just talk about how writing shapes which characters get noticed more now and then, after all, it's not like what we say here matters to them one way or another, it's just talk :smile:
Actually, I do think what we fans say does matter to them, because although they market to a young audience, we adults who grew with them are just as much a part of the fanbase as the children are.