Original Muppet Whatnot Workshop now off-line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm a bit of a lurker here, but wanted to share this website I found of someone who's actually visited FAO and made their own What-Not.

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/exclusive/muppetwhatnot/

Thought it wasn't supposed to be open for business yet, but I guess it is!

-Jaime
Thanks for posting, i think they look great. I really love all the design of the workshop, the Classic Muppet murel and the eyes and nose ceiling lights. Its fantastic to see all the work thats gone into making it look good.

:excited:

Nick22

Reaction score
Thanks for posting, i think they look great. I really love all the design of the workshop, the Classic Muppet murel and the eyes and nose ceiling lights. Its fantastic to see all the work thats gone into making it look good.

:excited:
i agree! and they finally got a new shipment of feather boa hair for the online shop.

Lab Rat

Reaction score
the shipping is $250 for the set of 3 whatnots

Skunkie

Reaction score
Also, here's the posting from the website mentioned above in regards to the Whatnot that he made:
http://www.stitchkingdom.com/forum/index.php?topic=8502.msg8735;topicseen#new

"First, I should have noted that the reason why I left the nose off was because I was hoping I could attach it semi-permanently with velcro as opposed to a hot glue gun. Aside from the Whatnot supposing to be interchangeable by definition, I know there have been Muppet skits where the characters have removed parts of their anatomy themselves, so I thought it would be a neat feature. Plus I thought he looked pretty decent even without the nose (I thought the absence of the nose added character). So the plan would be to use velcro to attach and detach the nose."

"Fortunately the folks at FAO Fifth Avenue obliged and handed me a fresh nose (which I had paid for anyway) in its original packaging (sounds better than it is, basically just a plastic bag) and gave me some advice on how to attach it with a hot glue gun should I decide to go that route (basically to use the low setting)."

"As it turns out, the hook part of velcro attaches almost too well to the inside of the mouth, but not so much on the Whatnot's body. Although I haven't yet tested it, I'm wary of the velcro potential because of the loose connection plus the limited surface area on the side of the nose that would be attached (although flipping the nose on its side to create more surface area is a possibility). Otherwise there'd have to be some way to attach the loop portion of velcro to the Whatnot's body without it being too visible/conspicuous. All things considered, for now I've opted to leave him noseless but there's still lots of potential (tape for example)."

"Someone else observed the placement of the eyes between the mock-up and the final product. The short answer is that the mock-up has the eyes attached together so it's not possible to give a specific placement of each eye, it's just a visual aid. While most probably wouldn't, I did involve myself in the exact placement of the eyes, both horizontally and vertically. The precise placement was determined based on him having his nose attached as well as being aesthetically pleasing without the nose. The staff was very good at dealing with me on this and while the eyes aren't exactly equidistant from the seam, it's barely noticeable. They did an excellent job at making sure they did an excellent job with it."

HerryGrail

Reaction score
Many thanks to our friend at Stitch Kingdom for all the great answers to mine and other questions.

I have a question in to FAO to see if they will ship the puppet and parts selections unattached.

Lab Rat

Reaction score
I asked them if you could buy spare clothes they said no.

HerryGrail

Reaction score
From FAO:

Thank you for writing to FAO Schwarz. Unfortunately the Muppet What Not Parts cannot be ordered without the parts being glued on.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I would pay more for a velcro option. Maybe they could do some sort of premium package that contained a couple pairs of eyes and noses and an alternate outfit.

Status
Not open for further replies.