Rumor: Abby gets own segment

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think it has more to do with the characters as characters...While Grover and Forgetful were more well rounded, Elmo and Abby are more happy go lucky all the time (that's not to say that they don't get sad sometimes but still) and sometimes that can really get to a certain group of viewers, parents, and even the target age group, making them not care for the characters as much or think SS is 'for babies' since they in a large way could be held as symbols of taking the show down to the more simple level it is now at, which could at times be seen as talking down to the average preschooler (but then a lot of shows now days do not give younger children enough credit for what they might be able to understand and not get upset about all on their lonesome).
I feel the same way. I like Elmo and Abby, myself... it's just hard to find a project to like them in. Elmo doesn't emote when all he does is talk to the audience about Bowling Balls for 15 minutes. I say, if you want to see the real Elmo check out something like Elmo Saves Christmas and Elmo in Grouchland. We can see that he's a child, and dispite the fact he is willing to share, a lot of the times, he's quite selfish... like not noticing how his wish of Christmas everyday ruins lives until its too late...or seeing his own selfishness in a funhouse mirror of himself, trying to get his blankie back.

I see the same thing in Abby too... we know she idolizes her mother, she's proud of her fairy culture... but at the same time, when she screws up a spell she either reacts "oops! Sorry! I'm still learning" or "I'm ashamed and depressed by my mistake." She also has trouble distinguishing between her faiy tale world and the "reality" of Sesame Street (obsessively trying to kiss Oscar because she thinks he's a cursed prince), as well as her rush to grow up seen in Abby in Wonderland.

When Abby first appeared, the writers clearly had trouble of how to establish her and make her a star at the same time. Every other thing coming out of her mouth seemed like a catchphrase brainstorming session. I think the writers have established her enough, but they're still teetering over how to use her.

Redsonga

Reaction score
*hee* I don't hate Abby ether..It just seems like the writers now don't know how to make a new character a main supporting character without pushing them at the viewer every two mins to say 'Look at me, don't I say cute things? Like me!..I said LIKE ME darn it :big_grin:!' (And I am the sort that most of the time loves characters that are cute)

I remember when Alice was born...You could tell see was around and she was often shown with her brother, but it didn't suddenly become Alice Street :smile:

Erine81981

Reaction score
I read the theads name and thought wow Abby will be getting her own two or four minutes of the show. I really don't care if she does because like i've read. She is the newest of the show. Maybe with her they might start to tone down Elmo's World a bit and not have it on as much. Just like Bryan mentioned i too like to stay optimistic in any of the SS stuff being that i grew up watching and loving every bit of it. Even though out the 90's i still enjoyed the show.

Why? Because it still had most of my beloved characters that i grew up with. Snuffy, Oscar, Big Bird, Ernie and Bert, Alice, Maria, Gordon, Susan, Bob, Cookie Monster, Grover, Herry, Elmo (he was ok with me then and still is a tiny bit), Gabi, Gina, Luis, Mr. Handford, Telly, Zoe, Rostia, Baby Bear, Goldielocks, Sherlock Hemlock and other fun filled characters that i grew up with.

I would love to see a new teenager human cast member. I really loved how they introduced Gorodon and Susan's nephew "Chris Robinson." Sorry if i went off on the subject but being that Abby will get her own segment on the show. I won't know till i either see it or hear more about it i won't reallly care about this thread. That's my two cents.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Chris.... lemme just say, not only did he take to Sesame Street, he dived in head first and made a big splash. Dude was made for Sesame Street.

Yeah, I feel that this would be about 4-5 minutes tops if anything. I mean, we had some leaked rumor (the only other news we got for the next season was about Ricky Gervais appearing somewhere) about a season that's still a year away. When do they start production for the season? After all, it airs in August.

I still say that they could go back and retroactively edit the EW's down a little to try to tone it down. A couple seconds off the "Show Dorothy how you..." bits, a minute off of Mr. Noodle and Tickle Me Land... remove the awkward counting segment... before you know it, we get a 5 minute cut of the segment.

That said, to Answer Fozzie's question, I know a lot of people had problems with Rodeo Rosie. I mean, she pretty much popped up and started bossing people around for 5 minutes in her debut skit. And the other characters were basically added in to add to a series of skits. They were considered their own segments in a collection basis. I'm sure a bunch of kids didn't like them... though quite a few of the characters like Don Music, Biff and Sully, etc. were added very early on.

As far as Global Grover, I have to say, unlike the other segments the characters got to themselves (maybe we can also except Trash Gordon) Grover was still doing a lot of his old schtick... over exerting himself, getting upstaged by random animals... and then there was that Russian Restaurant one that redid the classic "Waiter Grover" skits. I think that's why it didn't get the same complaints as the others. Had journey to Ernie featured Bert looking for Ernie, I bet it would have had a better reception.

StreetScenes

Reaction score
yeah, that's what bob said on his blog, too, that they'd be filming this month.

Redsonga

Reaction score
yeah, that's what bob said on his blog, too, that they'd be filming this month.
Bob blog :big_grin:? *makes gimmie hands*:excited:

*hee* If they had had Bert looking for Ernie they could have put in a bunch of classic 'Bert getting mad' scenes:flirt:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Oh cool! That great that The Bob has a Blog and everything now!