Rumor: Abby gets own segment

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And thankfully the SW website is one of the few places on the Web where you basically don't have to worry about what your kid sees. :wink:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Plus I thin this will just ad fuel to the fire. I mean once they see that the kids are liking the older clips, I sure that there will be an even greater demand for them to be on shown on the show once again.

StreetScenes

Reaction score
so let's do something about it!

Plus I thin this will just ad fuel to the fire. I mean once they see that the kids are liking the older clips, I sure that there will be an even greater demand for them to be on shown on the show once again.
exactly! i agree wholehartedly. see my post in the made in ny thread for more on what they were saying about the new media. (which i think you read anyway, ilikemuppets, but i maybe others will read it if i link it in this thread....)

and not only does it please old school fans, it fits in with their mission of educating kids. i think the best way for us to get them to release more stuff is to be creative in how we use it (esp. the parents and educators among us), and get together a group of testimonials, anecdotes, activities, lesson plans, etc. to show them their efforts are having the intended effects & more.

we sit around complaining & wishing enough, why not actually do something about it? i bet they'd be receptive if it helped their mission. & muppet central would be the best place for such a report to come from--who better knows their mission, their genius, their potential, than a large group of fans who are devoted (crazy?) enough to follow every toy release, write fan-fic, and have thoughtful opinions on every new and old clip on the internet?

anybody with me?

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Are they NUTS ?

I mean totally ruining the 40th anniversary of the show by adding ANOTHER Abby Segment ?

I mean this is suppose to be the 40th anniversary of the show, and it would really do us and some of the future generations some good if they try to show some more of the old segements of the show.

Either that or use:wisdom: as an entrence to the past of the show.
I just thought of something. Recently, at the end of podcasts there has been an "Abby's Fairy Fun" segment, with Abby interacting with another character, usually Elmo. I love these, They are always so funny, and they remind me of the Elmo/Zoe skits from the 90s. Maybe the Fairy Fun sketches are the new segment, and are just going to be intergrated into the show like Cookie and Prairie with Letter of the Day or Count with Number of the day. Note well, Cookie and the Count are less often on the street as a main character than other Muppets; but they may cut back Abby a bit as they introduce a segment.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I just thought of something. Recently, at the end of podcasts there has been an "Abby's Fairy Fun" segment, with Abby interacting with another character, usually Elmo. I love these, They are always so funny, and they remind me of the Elmo/Zoe skits from the 90s. Maybe the Fairy Fun sketches are the new segment, and are just going to be intergrated into the show
I sure hope that is the case. That I wouldn't mind at all. That would work!

Drtooth

Reaction score
we sit around complaining & wishing enough, why not actually do something about it? i bet they'd be receptive if it helped their mission. & muppet central would be the best place for such a report to come from--who better knows their mission, their genius, their potential, than a large group of fans who are devoted (crazy?) enough to follow every toy release, write fan-fic, and have thoughtful opinions on every new and old clip on the internet?
Tell you the truth, we did do something, and we did get all that stuff. We could go on with the blah blah blah and the Yakkidy schmakkidy... but when it comes right down to it, we were wrong about SS listening to the fans. They were just really stunted as of how to get it out there.

The 2 Old school sets as well as their own video site mean that they wanted to get out the old stuff all along. They just didn't know there was enough call for it. Remember, they thought it was a gamble. Now they know where they stand with everything, and they'd be glad to satisfy us outside of the show... (I just wish they'd make Old School Volume 3 already).

However, the problem lies in the current structure. I could care less if we had "Put Down the Duckie" or Lefty sells Ernie a Painting of invisible elephants on the show again... those are a couple mouse clicks away. It's the need to give preschoolers an obsessive compulsive structure what changed the show. And they proved that they wanted to move away from that (twice last season, remember?)... they also proved that they created a Frankenstine, and there's no way to turn back no without alienating the audience they created.

Even then, I could see an Abby segment lasting a couple years tops.....

StreetScenes

Reaction score
i think you're right, Drtooth, the problem is in the structure but they want to change it. so i think they will change it eventually, but i think they're using the internet to help them get the content and formats they want out to their target audience of pre-schoolers. whoever said it's not just a show anymore but part of our lives is right--i think all the stuff they do online is going to be a bigger and bigger part of it, and we should take the workshop's efforts as a whole rather than focus so much on the show itself, which has its own limitations they have to deal with.

what i'm suggesting is not that we as fans tell the workshop that there's an fan base for old school clips. you're right, they listenend to that and it got us some things, but it only goes so far. i'm suggesting that they're putting their classic clips on the internet even more for the pre-schoolers than for us, so if we want more, we should figure out ways we can use their clips creatively to teach our classes and raise our kids, and how releasing more would help their goal of using new media to reach their target audience. the fact that we're fans just means we've memorized them all and we think on their wavelength so we're perfectly positioned to come up with creative ways of forwarding sw's goals.

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
If they dropped Elmo's World in lieu of the Abby segment (I can only think of ONE theme song for Abby's segment... "La la la, la la la, Abby's World" :wink:), then I'd probably start watching again. I think they way overexposed Elmo, and now there's Abby Cadabby, so I'm willing to give Abby more of a chance.

BJ

mbmfrog

Reaction score
You know I'm thinking that the internet is not only a good way for kids to get older clips that they might mis out on and for their parents to share the clips that they grew up with with there kids and for there older clips to live on. But if kids get interested in older clips they are introduced to then maybe the audience that they are paying attention to the most let Sesame Workshop know just how much they really like them. I'm sure research and mail from parents on only thanking them for the clips and for, but how much their child enjoyed them and how it bonding them and bringing family's together and in the end accomplishing what they set out to do... Have parents participate with their children. So I see this as win-win.

I have to admit it is a good point, and don't forget Youtube channel of SS as well. :wisdom:

ISNorden

Reaction score
If they dropped Elmo's World in lieu of the Abby segment (I can only think of ONE theme song for Abby's segment... "La la la, la la la, Abby's World" :wink:), then I'd probably start watching again. I think they way overexposed Elmo, and now there's Abby Cadabby, so I'm willing to give Abby more of a chance.

BJ
If Abby's segment uses a pre-existing Sesame song for its theme, I'm betting it'll riff on either of these two songs (I don't know the official titles):

1. The one describing her love of words.
  2. The one teaching that different kinds of children (in her case, fairies vs. normals) can learn from each other and play together as friends.