1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Rumor: Abby gets own segment

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Drtooth, Dec 1, 2008.

1. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

The E&B claymation is actually very understandable once you know the history behind them. They were originally produced to be a stand-alone show to be aired in other countries (ones with childrens programming blocks of a bunch of short under 30 minute pieces - which these days are a rarity in the US). Sesame fans complained that we wouldn't see them in the US. Sesame (originally not planning to do so when they were in production) eventually reversed themselves as aired them as part of Sesame Street in season 39...and then dealt with everyone complaining and afraid that clay E&B were going to replace real E&B.

Sesame Workshop often has to contemplate the big global picture when they create stuff - not only the American Sesame but the various international versions of Sesame have become institutions in their own respective countries. Most of them air stuff that were originally made for American Sesame...and more and more since Elmo's World and the breaking of the show down into different segments, there's always the tempation to create more segments that can both work within American Sesame and be stand-alone shows elsewhere. Elmo's World was the beginning of this as indeed these are shown elsewhere as its own stand-alone show. Global Grover became another segment that became its own entity elsewhere - Ernie and Bert's Great Adventures - the claymation Twiddlebugs were also created with the same idea (though i don't know at the moment if they actually followed through making this an international "show" or just ended up with a handful of segments for Sesame Street. I've not heard anything about these being broadcast anywhere as its own show (really because it is a bit narrow to an English-as-first-language being taught Spanish as a second language) but at it's regular timing of 6 min, 20 seconds, Murray Has a Little Lamb seems tailor-made to be an independant series.

I would think (hope?) that Sesame realizes that EW was a bit too much in terms of a segment in terms of time (15-20 minutes...originally done that way because research showed that around the 40-45 minute mark is when the younger children started to get restless watching) and would never attempt something like that again and that a new Abby (or any new segmants) would be more like 4-6 minutes.
  2. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

Well said!
  3. The Shoe Fairy

The Shoe Fairy Active Member

Here is an example where FR would be good. Fraggle Rock was produced in such a manner that it could be easily redone internationally and syndicated. I think SS is trying to do this kinda thing, and here in Australia E&B's Great Adventures is a separate program, albeit on in 6:30 in the morning. Same deal with EW and Global Grover. When they run out of SS, they put on EW, when they run out of that, Global Grover. Thereby keeping the timeslot by replacing one SW production with another. And it doesn't have to be a muppet one either.
  4. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. Other characters can appeal to new generations and that's great. But it's not easy to really replace what made a show so special in the first place. :wisdom:
  5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Tell me about it. I for one, love the segments. I just wish they switched up the show so it could have alternated with Murray's segment. They only made about 13 Murrays, and showed them twice. There are still some E&B's that haven't aired yet. And I feel it's not so much they want to replace them (though, Frankly, I don't care if I never see weak segments like Ernie singing "In My Room" again), so much as they don't have time for both. I'm glad they combined it into the SS show... otherwise, we'd have to see them all unofficially on Youtube.

Funny thing about getting restless around that mark... the show is like, 50 minutes or less right now. I agree with that logic there. An Abby segment, as popular as the character is, I doubt would hold kid's attention for that long. And I don't think it would be too be a cross gender hit. I doubt the boys will follow it.

Plus, what's she gonna do for 15 minutes anyway? Talk to another spastic adult for 5 minutes, talk to a baby for no apparent reason and say that a birthday cake can't fly?
  6. Drtooth

7. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

LOL. I imagine that's what 'Big Bird' is actually thinking too!:D

It's really sick though. I mean, now I DON'T want to watch Season 40. But again, I cannot judge anything yet, since nothing has aired. This may be good, or this may be really bad. But I'm sick of CGI! Really! It's taking away from the Muppets! We JUST had a CGI Bert & Ernie segment! Now an Abby one? That's 9-10 minutes! Get out of here! And as I stated in the other thread, having them openly admit to making Abby as their 'next big thing' really just says SELL OUT all over their faces. At least Elmo's popularity really was sorta 'unexpected', and the character DID have time to DEVELOP; point is, it wasn't necessarily planned or anything. Abby has been on the street for only 3 years and already SW is prepping her as their next big star. I hate it. What were they thinking? It really shouldn't be called Sesame Street anymore. It's the Elmo & Abby Cadabby Show, with occasional appearances by Cookie Monster, Oscar, Big Bird, and if you're even lucky, Snuffy and The Count will stop by! Oh, and Drtooth, I would have said I hate 'Sesame Workshop', not 'CTW.' To me, their two different periods in SS's history, 'CTW' was the vintage, good quality era of SS where they were not listening to all these crazed people telling them how to run their show, but 'SW'? That's another story. Sick.
  8. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

although I'm shocked, I'm not as worried anymore because SW will find a way around the time length to fit in some segments. take last year for example, we lost 6 1/2 minutes to Murray, but we still got some good segments included, like Grover vs. Pino. Plus, they've mentioned all these other new sketches, like a new waiter Grover and Marshal Grover sketch, the Word of the Day stuff will continue and we got new parodies like Mad Men and John and kate Plus 8 that they'll squeeze into each show. So, I'd calm down until we actually see some visual proof.
  9. Drtooth

I was too lazy to add annotations, but I couldn't find any good footage of anyone saying "Sesame Workshop." otherwise I would have used it. Plus, I needed that funky Chimes intro. And I spent, roughly 3 minutes on it.

If anyone's wondering, apparently other people have done this before, and I just was bucking the trend.

That's what I feel. I'm over-reacting a bit, but I hate the idea of SS being segmented up, especially since they actually were trying to move away from that. Like in that Organized Crime movie, everytime dey try ta go straights, dey gets pulled back in!

Personally, I'm more troubled about the fact it's 9 minutes (5 minutes shouls suffice) and the fact they've replaced a major character with CGI. Why do I still watch Sesame Street as someone pushing 30 (in a few years)? The puppetry. If they'd use the Waldo system from Henson, that would at least be technically digital puppetry. But now it will look like roughly everything else on kid's TV, including the horrible Superwhy and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

I bet they bulk the segment up with film footage of talking to kids. I like the Murray segment because the muppets actually interact with the kids. This... this stuff I've always felt boring.
  10. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

The SST films I can tolerate, the ones on Plaza Sesamo I hate so much. They go on forever!
  11. Drtooth

Oh yeah... I mean some I kinda liked and seemed interesting, but a lot of them... wow... they just took up the whole show.

I still remember one they did on Sesame Street.... I dunno when, but they had these 2 kids correspond by writing letters and the thing figuratively took 3 hours to watch. Almost like they had the experience of waiting for each and every single letter via post...

Still, Sad Flowers was the worst. I used to get so impatient waiting for that one to end...

What were we talking about again?

Oh yeah. Abby's segment. I REALLY hope they don't have filmed footage like they do for Elmo's World...
  12. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

Exclusive!

:search:Here's what I've got:

http://toonbarn.com/2009/08/abbys-flying-fairy-school/

Interesting. It's like a show within a show. In fact it could stand alone as a SEPERATE show, just have like 3 9-minute storys. Anyways, as I've said previously, I'm preserving judgement of the segment until I see it. Who knows, it may be...well, no comment.
    :coy:
  13. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

This could prove to be better than expected.
  14. Drtooth

The fact that they made them look exactly like puppets is a little unnerving. I think SS should have CGI in it, but not at the risk of replacing puppets. On the contrary... I think CGi should be used to aide the puppets.

And somehow, I get the feeling that this was made to be an overseas TV series, much like Play with me Sesame, Elmo's world, and Ernie and Bert's Great Adventures all are. I really think this should be it's own series... but again, PBS wouldn't be looking to give another half hour to SS....
  15. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

Okay... I just read this article and now I'm thoroughly confused. They talk about a new "Play With Me Sesame" type show hosted by Abby, and two other new shows starring Cookie Monster and Elmo. I don't know if these are actually supposed to be stand-alone shows, or if they'll be segments within the actual show. But either way I'm very confused.
  16. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

Gee, they REALLY love making those stand alone segements. But how in the world is Cookie Monster going to carry his own show? And Elmo already HAS Elmo's World, why give him another segment? Why not make it Telly's Backyard or something? Either I'm trying state a point, or I'm just jealous because a certain yellow 8-foot canary is not getting his own segment.:D Oh well.

And at least Cookie's segment is set to be live-action.
  17. muppets2

muppets2 New Member

yea i dont see how cookie monster could carry out his own show what would be in it? and elmo is already popular enough so i think they should give a show to big bird or oscar just cause they would be better :wisdom::grouchy: or mabye :super:
  18. Drtooth

This really sticks in my craw. None of these were mentioned as being part of season 40 so far... maybe parts of season 41, or shows for the international market? The show has lost its amazing randomness that made it exactly like television... the "commercials" for numbers and letters.. the short little 3-5 minute muppet pieces... all replaced with shorter little shows and segments. Not really a fan of this, and even a show that's been around 40 years doesn't need to change the format that much.

the thing that bugs me is that they have to CONSTANTLY keep shoving Cookie Monster into showing kids to eat healthy. Really... this from the character that ate a truck once... and foam rubber letters on a regular basis? I see what they're getting at, but you can lead a horse to broccoli, but you can't make it eat. besides, I have a feeling the period of inactivity in kids happens at age 10. I always see kids younger than 10 running around like idiots like they always did when I was a kid.

And wouldn't it be marvelous if Elmo's world was canned for Elmo's Backyard? Effectively killing a mammoth 15 minute segment and replacing it with a tinier, neater 5 minute spot? I agree... make it Telly. Make it Baby Bear. Big Bird and Oscar even... Elmo has a segment already... one that;s been around 10 years and needs to go.
  19. Barry Lee

Barry Lee Active Member

These arent segments they are shows being pitched to networks and they put the three shows (Abby/Cookie/Elmo) together. So stop thinking that these new things are segments, read the information please.

It was the same way with the Claymation Bert & Ernie, it was originally pitched as a show but failed, so they put it on SS, that might happen with these next season if they aren't picked up! :wisdom:
  20. Drtooth

That's it exactly... the Abby segment IS going to be added to the show for season 40. That was in the press kit, right? As I said, the press kit said NOTHING about those other segments. I do believe they could easily be added in about season 41, as easily as Ernie and Bert's great adventures were. I still think SW needs to work on a Sprout show based around all these segments (I doubt PBS would want it on their original stations).