Your Thoughts: Muppets Letters to Santa

What did you think of the "Letters to Santa" special?

• I loved "Letters to Santa".

Votes: 74 40.0%
  • "Letters to Santa" was good.

Votes: 71 38.4%
  • "Letters to Santa" was just so-so.

Votes: 27 14.6%
  • I disliked "Letters to Santa".

Votes: 13 7.0%

• Total voters

Redsonga

Reaction score
The muppet world may have some of our rules, but I don't see it as our world. It takes a bare outlines of our world rules and runs with them. If a world can have talking animals, I really don't think Santa still being a real person, and adults knowing and loving him is really that big of an issue, as the muppet world also has all sorts of magic to :excited:

but you can't have faith in Kermit unless you believe he is real.
*sigh*
In a way, Kermit is real, he stands for a lot of good elements of human nature that I have faith in, and that in a round about way makes his character real. That is all that I am saying, and why I say Santa is real to me. If that is not how things seem real to you, if real has to be something that is alive in the human sense and can only be that, then I am sorry but I don't agree.

You may like the character, you may even love the character (but frankly I think you are using love too liberally, especially when you throw in bubblegum)
Since when has viewing the word and the things you like in it with true passion been a bad thing:excited:? If it is too 'liberal' I would rather be that, than feeling weighted down in everything I say by my age about things I really like, rather they be muppets or world culture..or gum :smile:

MWoO

Reaction score
When the muppets go on interviews do the performers go out and say "hey, this is my character now let me do some jokes" or do they go out as the characters. Did jim Henson guest host the tonight show or did Kermit and the muppets? Did Jim Henson throw the muppets a movie premier party for the muppet movie or did Kermit?

The muppets have always been treated as if they live in our world.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Having a fondness for Kermit is not having faith. Faith is a belief that something is true that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence. Religion is faith based. Kermit is not something you can have faith in. You are using strong words. You may like the character, you may even love the character (but frankly I think you are using love too liberally, especially when you throw in bubblegum) but you can't have faith in Kermit unless you believe he is real.
I think what Redsonga is trying to say is that if you believe in something it makes it real, at least to you.

And Redsonga, I think what MWoO is trying to say, is that there is a difference between believing the ideas of something and believing that it exists in the same way we exist.

But overall maybe we got a little too "carried away" with this debate, and get back to what we enjoy or didn't enjoy about this special, which is the whole point of this thread. I vote to end it here because I think we starting to bring in faith, which could lead to people debating over religion and that could lead to someone getting really mad or really hurt. What do you guys say, :wink:

MWoO

Reaction score
I think faith shouldn't even be brought into a Santa discussion.

Someone believing something and making it real to them personally is religion if we are talking about God. If we are talking about Kermit you better make sure you realize he's still a puppet. Suspending disbelief is great, but people still need to be grounded. At the end of the day Kermit is a fictional character. Same applies to Santa...seriously...Santa.

unclematt

Reaction score
I thought it was fantastic. I truly enjoyed the Crazy Harry, Sam the Eagle, Sweetums, Pops (even though it was nonspeaking), Robin and Rowlf appearences. Scooter and Robins voices could use some work and I agree about Bunsten's head but othe than that was truly impressed. WEven the writing seem to be right on.

Redsonga

Reaction score
And Redsonga, I think what MWoO is trying to say, is that there is a difference between believing the ideas of something and believing that it exists in the same way we exist.
And I am just saying that believing makes things as solid to me as seeing it, because the ideas that make us love the idea of Santa or the character of Kermit are as real as anything else the human mind can hold dear that we can't touch :excited:
Someone believing something and making it real to them personally is religion if we are talking about God. If we are talking about Kermit you better make sure you realize he's still a puppet.
Of course I know he is a puppet, but that does not change my love of his character and my feeling that what made/makes up his soul as a character (From Mr. Henson mainly) is real and something to be treasured : ). Call that and my love of Santa religion if you want but that is really not how I mean it...

To me the muppet live in this world of the roots of what it means to be human along with all our dreams, and magic:smile:. They just teleport to our world now and then *lol*:coy:

Gonzo14

Reaction score
also, some of you have mentioned a few of the characters looking off, am i the only one who thinks that Dr. Teeth has looked off since the Studio DC shows?

JJandJanice

Reaction score
And I am just saying that believing makes things as solid to me as seeing it, because the ideas that make us love the idea of Santa or the character of Kermit are as real as anything else the human mind can hold dear that we can't touch :excited:

To me the muppet live in this world of the roots of what it means to be human along, we all our dreams, and magic:smile:. They just teleport to our world now and then *lol*:coy:
I agree with you on that one, I think believing something makes it real too.

unclematt

Reaction score
I thought that Doctor Teeth looked and sounded fantastic. Better than MWoO

Redsonga

Reaction score
Scooter was a little odd, but I guess his voice was very one of a kind ...