Your Thoughts: Muppets Letters to Santa

What did you think of the "Letters to Santa" special?

• I loved "Letters to Santa".

Votes: 74 40.0%
  • "Letters to Santa" was good.

Votes: 71 38.4%
  • "Letters to Santa" was just so-so.

Votes: 27 14.6%
  • I disliked "Letters to Santa".

Votes: 13 7.0%

• Total voters

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Well I thought them meeting Mickey was silly.

It comes off that way because Santa is strictly for children. No adult pretends Santa leaves them presents under the tree. Seeing adults in the special believe Santa does this, especially the way they believed, makes them come off as childish.
Well than what about that episode of the Muppet show where they met the cast of Star wars, was that silly? To you it should be.

Dude one of the whole points of the Muppets, Santa, Disney or any of this kind of stuff is that if you believe than it's real. You're making it sound like the Muppets should only interact with the Muppets and "real" people and to be honset, to me that actually makes less sense than the idea of Santa being real.

As you mention, it would be silly if Santa was in a Superman movie, how I can totally promise you than Superman has met Santa in comics and cartoons. The movie is on a different level.

Davina

Reaction score
ok, just finished watching.. and thought it was pretty darn good.. maybe not quite all I'd hoped for.. but then i'm one of them crazy internet muppet fiends.. hehehe
thought it was good, some of the cameos seemed a little weird, but went well. Piggy's face seemed just a little too.. oval? or something, but nothing i couldn't deal with. Will agree her singing in the opening number did seem... sharp, and she seemed a LOT mellower then usual, but i LOVED the relationship that was shown between her and Kermit. HUGE step forward there.
Would have loved to see this be a bit longer so we could get a better detailed plot. I agree that there didn't seem much reason to care about Claire other then "ah, here's a kid who isn't having the best Christmas ever.." we didn't even know that they didn't have a tree and decorations and all, just that mom was leary of having all the muppet gang in her home (and really, that seems normal.. hehe..) for me, i just kept thinking how much she kinda looks like my 7 yr old neice, but that was about it, and ertainly wouldn't apply to all :smile:
Scooter and Robin's voices.. will take some getting use to, but Scooter's personality did seem to be there, wasn't enough of Robin to really make any judgement one way or the other. but, I liked. glad I taped it, will have to watch it a few more times. hope it comes out on dvd soon so i can add it to my annual collection..

MWoO

Reaction score
Well than what about that episode of the Muppet show where they met the cast of Star wars, was that silly? To you it should be.

Dude one of the whole points of the Muppets, Santa, Disney or any of this kind of stuff is that if you believe than it's real. You're making it sound like the Muppets should only interact with the Muppets and "real" people and to be honset, to me that actually makes less sense than the idea of Santa being real.

As you mention, it would be silly if Santa was in a Superman movie, how I can totally promise you than Superman has met Santa in comics and cartoons. The movie is on a different level.
The star wars episode was meant to be silly. There was a wink and a nudge to the audience.

What I didn't like was how they had Santa in the special. If you go back and read my first post in this thread my main problem is how they put Santa in the movie, as if it is common knowledge that Santa is real, seen by all, and in no way a mysterious and fanciful figure. That ruins things. If the adults are going to believe in Santa, don't have them believe in Santa as a child would.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Ok...you KNOW there is not a Santa Clause. It's one thing to believe in the spirit of giving and being kind, but come on....you KNOW there is not a Santa. This is not something I should even have to say.

Not to be a Scrooge but children have faith in Santa because adults tell them to, not because there is a Santa.
Santa is real, he may not have a human body anymore, but he is there. This is not something I should even have to say:coy:.
He is not the cola Santa, he is not the red suited person we put into films (like here), he does not live in the North Pole and all the rest of those details (but that does not mean we can't love those details and love them in movies as an adult as much as when we were little), but that does not mean he is not real :excited:.

I feel very sorry that you think faith is a lie rather than an inborn fact of human nature, but I believe with all my heart that is so. And if that makes me childish, then I never wish to become any older inside, no matter how my body ages:smile:

Davina

Reaction score
oh yeah.. i'm 35 and can totally see Santa being real in the muppetverse... we've seen Santa as real in their world any number of times before, so why not now?

(and I live a lot closer to the North Pole then most of you.. so.. ya know.. *wink*)

MWoO

Reaction score
Santa is real, he may not have a human body anymore, but he is there. This is not something I should even have to say:coy:.
He is not the coca cola Santa, he is not the red suited person we put into films, he does not live in the North Pole and all the rest of those details (but that does not mean we can't love those details), but that does not mean he is not real:excited:.

I feel very sorry that you think faith is a lie rather than an inborn fact of human nature, but I believe with all my heart that is so. And if that makes me childish, then I never wish to become any older inside, no matter how my body ages:smile:
We aren't talking about the same thing. You are talking about what the idea of Santa represents. This is not what we saw in the movie. We saw the coca-cola santa.

And i said faith in Santa is a lie. Kids are told a man in a red suit comes into their house at night and leaves presents. That is a flat out lie told to kids and kids have faith in that lie.

A person can have imagination and a sense of romance and wonder without going around saying Santa is real...seriously.

Redsonga

Reaction score
A person can have imagination and a sense of romance and wonder without going around saying Santa is real...seriously.
I was always told the soul of Christmas and Santa were the same thing, so the idea if Santa being real has never been a lie to me since I was little:smile:. The cola Santa I still love as much as I ever have, and do not see that love as childish...That love should in the end not be judged by if you can really see him that way in our universe however..and who is to say he does not have a human body in the muppet world, what is the harm in that? I see nothing offensive in it, and the adults treating him as a person...
For that matter, Santa use to be alive as a human in our world to start with, and people loved him, all people, no matter their age :3.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
The star wars episode was meant to be silly. There was a wink and a nudge to the audience.

What I didn't like was how they had Santa in the special. If you go back and read my first post in this thread my main problem is how they put Santa in the movie, as if it is common knowledge that Santa is real, seen by all, and in no way a mysterious and fanciful figure. That ruins things. If the adults are going to believe in Santa, don't have them believe in Santa as a child would.
They didn't make it seem like everyone knows as fact that Santa is real, if you recall Pepe and Rizzo kept making jokes about him not being real (though in the end it made it seem like they believe in him the whole time), so therefore is some doubt even in the Muppet world that he is real.

What I'm trying to say overall, is that to me, the Muppets believing in santa doesn't come off silly, if it does to you, than that's your hang up. I don't really see how these adults in this special talking to talking frogs, bears, pigs and "whatevers" believing santa as well "ruin things" as you put it. I think the Muppets live in a world where all things are possible, meeting Mickey Mouse, Santa, and C3P-0 all make sense to me.

Updated edit: I see what you're saying MWoO, I really do and it some ways I do agree with you. Having the mob guys talking about not wanting to be on "naughty list" did come off a bit silly. But I'm trying is say, is that the Muppets really do live in a world where that does seem likely.

Redsonga

Reaction score
They didn't make it seem like everyone knows as fact that Santa is real, if you recall Pepe and Rizzo kept making jokes about him not being real (though in the end it made it seem like they believe in him the whole time), so therefore is some doubt even in the Muppet world that he is real.

What I'm trying to say overall, is that to me, the Muppets believing in santa doesn't come off silly, if it does to you, than that's your hang up. I don't really see how these adults in this special talking to talking frogs, bears, pigs and "whatevers" believing santa as well "ruin things" as you put it. I think the Muppets live in a world where all things are possible, meeting Mickey Mouse, Santa, and C3P-0 all make sense to me.
...And I would be very sad if there were ever a time when 'all things are possible' is just relabeled as being childish:cry:

MWoO

Reaction score
you said it yourself, the the muppet doubters weren't doubters at all. In this special it was an accepted fact that Santa is real, lives in the north pole, has elves, the whole 9 yards.

Are you telling me that the adults in this special didn't seem like children to you? The security guard that STILL writes santa letters so he can get his trike. The mobster that doesn't want to get on the naughty list? They came off as child like, end of story. There is a way to have Santa in a special and a way not to. This was a way not to.