Your Thoughts: Muppets Letters to Santa

What did you think of the "Letters to Santa" special?

• I loved "Letters to Santa".

Votes: 74 40.0%
  • "Letters to Santa" was good.

Votes: 71 38.4%
  • "Letters to Santa" was just so-so.

Votes: 27 14.6%
  • I disliked "Letters to Santa".

Votes: 13 7.0%

• Total voters

Redsonga

Reaction score
you said it yourself, the the muppet doubters weren't doubters at all. In this special it was an accepted fact that Santa is real, lives in the north pole, has elves, the whole 9 yards.

Are you telling me that the adults in this special didn't seem like children to you? The security guard that STILL writes santa letters so he can get his trike. The mobster that doesn't want to get on the naughty list? They came off as child like, end of story. There is a way to have Santa in a special and a way not to. This was a way not to.
I'm sorry that you didn't like it, but that does not mean that those of us who do are wrong for loving it :smile:. To me it is just as all ages as their other movies, and has a million times more heart that VMX and OZ put together :smile:

MWoO

Reaction score
I was always told the soul of Christmas and Santa were the same thing, so the idea if Santa being real has never been a lie to me since I was little:smile:. The cola Santa I still love as much as I ever have, and do not see that love as childish...That love should in the end not be judged by if you can really see him that way in our universe however..and who is to say he does not have a human body in the muppet world, what is the harm in that? I see nothing offensive in it, and the adults treating him as a person...
For that matter, Santa use to be alive as a human in our world to start with, and people loved him, all people, no matter their age :3.
I'm sorry but I can't even respond to someone who believes in Santa. You are saying, as an adult, that you love Santa. There is faith and then there is delusion.

And yes, there was a St. Nicholas, and his ideas of generosity are represented in the modern Santa. However, that is different. You can hold the ideas of the man without believing he still exists.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
you said it yourself, the the muppet doubters weren't doubters at all. In this special it was an accepted fact that Santa is real, lives in the north pole, has elves, the whole 9 yards.

Are you telling me that the adults in this special didn't seem like children to you? The security guard that STILL writes santa letters so he can get his trike. The mobster that doesn't want to get on the naughty list? They came off as child like, end of story. There is a way to have Santa in a special and a way not to. This was a way not to.
I updated my last post somewhat agreeing with you.

And no I'm not saying that the adults in this special didn't come off as children to me, in fact the total oppisite they were total children. What I am saying, is I don't see how that's a bad thing. I think what they were trying to go for with the security guard isn't so much that he's an adult that's going to ride a trike, more like he get something that brings him back to his childhood. It could of been written better to macth that, sure, but that idea has been done before outside of this special.

At first my understanding of this debate was whether or not Santa should be real in the Muppet world, that is totally fine with me and doesn't come off silly in the least. Than this debate became the adults believing santa, which can be a bit silly and yes for this special I do agree with you could have been written better.

MWoO

Reaction score
I'm sorry that you didn't like it, but that does not mean that those of us who do are wrong for loving it :smile:. To me it is just as all ages as their other movies, and has a million times more heart that VMX and OZ put together :smile:
I'm not saying you are wrong for liking it nor am I saying I didn't like it. I'm saying the adults came off as childish and that the way Santa was handled made the show come off as childish. I enjoy Sesame Street Christmas specials, but I don't delude myself into thinking they are not childish either. I appreciate them for what they are.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
I loved it, i thought it was great, my only complaint is that most of the movie was just Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, Rizzo, and Pepe. The rest were only there for a few scenes in the beginning and then in the finale

also, I had some questions about the recasts, since I'm adding this special to my database and i wanna get it right, Correct me if I'm wrong, i'm not positive on these

David Rudman; Scooter/Janice/Robin
Bill Baretta: Dr. Teeth
Eric Jacobson: Animal/Sam the Eagle

also, who provided the voices of Floyd, Sweetums, and Crazy Harry?

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I loved it, i thought it was great, my only complaint is that most of the movie was just Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, Rizzo, and Pepe. The rest were only there for a few scenes in the beginning and then in the finale

also, I had some questions about the recasts, since I'm adding this special to my database and i wanna get it right, Correct me if I'm wrong, i'm not positive on these

David Rudman; Scooter/Janice/Robin
Bill Baretta: Dr. Teeth
Eric Jacobson: Animal/Sam the Eagle

also, who provided the voices of Floyd, Sweetums, Lew Zealand, and Crazy Harry?
I could be wrong so please don't totally take this to heart but I'm thinking Floyd was John Kennedy.

Just to be sure I'll see if I can look it up somewhere, :wink:

Oh and Bill Baretta was Lew Zealand, he's did him in "Very Merry Muppet Christmas" as well

Redsonga

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I can't even respond to someone who believes in Santa. You are saying, as an adult, that you love Santa. There is faith and then there is delusion.
*lol* Honestly, it is not delusion, anymore than saying I love Kermit, or bubblegum. I'm not going to get married to my bubblegum, and I know I'm not going to meet Kermit as a full body puppet walking and talking by himself, but I love him and believe in his character. That is not delusion at all:smile:. And I love the cola Santa in films and such, because he makes me happy and chirstmas...y.

And yes, there was a St. Nicholas, and his ideas of generosity are represented in the modern Santa. However, that is different. You can hold the ideas of the man without believing he still exists.
But believing that his soul is still alive, and therefore he is, and lives in everyone once a year, in itself is not a crime ether. I can see that as Santa without your having to think I am crazy, silly. After all, I'm not forcing you to believe, I am just saying what I think:excited:

MWoO

Reaction score
I updated my last post somewhat agreeing with you.

And no I'm not saying that the adults in this special didn't come off as children to me, in fact the total oppisite they were total children. What I am saying, is I don't see how that's a bad thing. I think what they were trying to go for with the security guard isn't so much that he's an adult that's going to ride a trike, more like he get something that brings him back to his childhood. It could of been written better to macth that, sure, but that idea has been done before outside of this special.

At first my understanding of this debate was whether or not Santa should be real in the Muppet world, that is totally fine with me and doesn't come off silly in the least. Than this debate became the adults believing santa, which can be a bit silly and yes for this special I do agree with you could have been written better.
And thats what I'm trying to say. You can have Santa as a real person in the muppet world if you handle it correctly. I don't think it was handled correctly. For the most part the muppets exist in our world. They play by real world rules, except for being talking bears and frogs and chickens and things. In the real world Santa is not a real being that adults talk about as being real.

MWoO

Reaction score
*lol* Honestly, it is not delusion, anymore than saying I love Kermit, or bubblegum. I'm not going to get married to my bubblegum, and I know I'm not going to meet Kermit as a full body puppet walking and talking by himself, but I love him and believe in his character. That is not delusion at all, that is faith
Having a fondness for Kermit is not having faith. Faith is a belief that something is true that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence. Religion is faith based. Kermit is not something you can have faith in. You are using strong words. You may like the character, you may even love the character (but frankly I think you are using love too liberally, especially when you throw in bubblegum) but you can't have faith in Kermit unless you believe he is real.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
And thats what I'm trying to say. You can have Santa as a real person in the muppet world if you handle it correctly. I don't think it was handled correctly. For the most part the muppets exist in our world. They play by real world rules, except for being talking bears and frogs and chickens and things. In the real world Santa is not a real being that adults talk about as being real.
Ok we are starting to see more eye to eye on this subject. But I don't really think the Muppets live in your world, I just don't really see it. I see them living in a world much like ours, but not ours.

Again though I do agree that it could of be handed better, in some respects it did come off more like Sesame Street (where most of the adults are just children) than a "core Muppets" or however you wish to put Kermit and the gang, :smile:. But in defense of this special there probably wasn't enough real time to really make that point.