Unofficial Script Review of the New Muppet Movie

Luke

Reaction score
I don't know something doesn't seem right about this at all. This is to much news to soon, and I don't think Dave or Gonzo or even any of the other Muppet writers would have wrote this. The way Gonzo was talking about Muppet Chirstmas Carol and Muppets from Space seemed off to me. Anyone else think so?
Hello all! Remember me? LOL. I read the AICN thing. Does anyone remember a spec script from Frank Oz (i think it was him, or maybe Juhl) where the Muppets are on the skids, all out doing different things(which you see in little clips), and Kermit has to get them all back together for a show - well what this person has wrote is basically that same plotline and just updated it a bit by putting in a few current references. I suppose its possible this is genuine and maybe Seagal was possibly hired to write a movie around the old treatment or was shown the treatment before he wrote his and was influenced by it, but bottom line - this script is just that one in a different guise. I find that a bit wierd - but then again, i suppose it is kinda an obvious plot for a classic style Muppet Movie so possibly its not suprising the same scenarios would be used.

That said, some nice ideas in the script review. Especially Animal in Rehab, Gonzo & Batman, the Bat signal call for the Muppets, The Mayhem band, the thing about Kermit fitting through the O. I love all that - and i can't for a second ever see them letting Pepe be a background character .. aint ever gonna happen - the Diz people would just ask for him to be bumped up in a re-write. They wouldn't have featured him so heavily in the Xmas special to then bump him back.

SurfPark

Reaction score
I wrote a short article about this on my site. I feel that it can go either way. The rumor about the script sounds promising, but I don't know. A lot of the magic of the Muppets is in the comedic performance. The best script can bomb if the actors are not on their A-game.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Hello all! Remember me? LOL. I read the AICN thing. Does anyone remember a spec script from Frank Oz (i think it was him, or maybe Juhl) where the Muppets are on the skids, all out doing different things(which you see in little clips), and Kermit has to get them all back together for a show - well what this person has wrote is basically that same plotline and just updated it a bit by putting in a few current references. I suppose its possible this is genuine and maybe Seagal was possibly hired to write a movie around the old treatment or was shown the treatment before he wrote his and was influenced by it, but bottom line - this script is just that one in a different guise. I find that a bit wierd - but then again, i suppose it is kinda an obvious plot for a classic style Muppet Movie so possibly its not suprising the same scenarios would be used.

That said, some nice ideas in the script review. Especially Animal in Rehab, Gonzo & Batman, the Bat signal call for the Muppets, The Mayhem band, the thing about Kermit fitting through the O. I love all that - and i can't for a second ever see them letting Pepe be a background character .. aint ever gonna happen - the Diz people would just ask for him to be bumped up in a re-write. They wouldn't have featured him so heavily in the Xmas special to then bump him back.
Where have you been hideing at Luke?

Davina

Reaction score
heck, i'm just happy there is any talk at all about a movie.. accurate leakage or not.. :smile:
there have been years when we didn't even have that much to hope for.... heh

Luke

Reaction score
Where have you been hideing at Luke?
Hey Dwayne, Good to see you. Just lots of work and life stuff, i do visit when i can .... but this movie sounds interesting. It is just good to hear about the Muppets doing anything .. but i wasn't too disapointed by the Xmas thing, and the web site is fab so it seems to be coming together. I think coming back to the "classic" TMS style of the Muppets is great, as i don't think the completely kiddyfying them idea of Studio DC worked at all. The web site and the Xmas special set the right tone, IMO.

Hope everyone is ok! :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'd like to see Pepe as a secondary character in this one... similar to his role in VMX, where he was present throughout the movie, but he didn't take focus off the other characters.
I agree. I like Pepe, but he's not the one that needs a comeback. :wink:

Beauregard

Reaction score
I agree. I like Pepe, but he's not the one that needs a comeback. :wink:
*laughing* He has a natural propensity to come back...usually when he's least needed. *kidding* I really am looking forward to a possible return of Rowlf, but I must admit that I've become so used to the EM being background characters that I'd find it weird if they started hanging with the main Muppet crowd. *ducks as tomatoes, and boots filled with custard are thrown towards me general location*

Rax

Reaction score
So I wonder if Frank Oz would come in and take the screenplay and make it his own. Like he did the MTM. Thats something to think about.
No, it isn't. No way he'll do that.
Its not for certain that its Dave Golez. Anyone could have said that. It could be him, not saying that it cant, but it may not be. :concern:
Of course it's not Goelz. The guy isn't stupid!

The review sounds promising. And it looks like we'll have two Henson movies in 2010. This one, and the one about Fraggle Rock. :excited:

Gr, Rax