Top Annoying Misnaming People Do

Super Scooter

Reaction score
In all fairness, i'm sure Kermit genuinely thought he may have been the inspiration for the Frog's name and not looking to seek fame. He just turned out to be wrong (and probably a bit hurt to find out it wasn't the case)
Oh, I agree that that was the case as well. It's still a little annoying to hear, especially when even many on this forum believe it.

Rax

Reaction score
What's the Swedish Chef origin rumor? Never heard it. (Don't be affraid to tell me, I won't believe you anyway. :stick_out_tongue:)

Gr, Rax

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm suddenly reminded of something...

Back in my old PBS days, I remember whipping up a t-shirt design for a future Friends of Sesame Street pledge drive - the design was Ernie and Bert from behind, with their arms around each other shoulders in front of a big orange sun.
Walking arm in arm into the sunset like this, huh? That just proves that you're a Bullwinkle fan! :big_grin:

since this around the time that our pledges were dropping drastically after a radical homeschool group turned people away from PBS because they claimed their children's shows promoted homosexuality.
That's what I've been talking about. This thing is just a harmless little drunken frat boy Robot Chicken watching reading too far into a kid's show nonsense until someone turns it into a dangerous rhetoric one way or another. I think we've had enough discussing that, since we're really not allowed to.

EDIT:
Here's a pic if anyone wants to see it.
http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/App...Tee-263784.jsp
... really should be Kermit on that one. I mean, he's the one who asks why are there so many songs about those things...

I never quite cared for children's shows being colloquially known by the name of a character (unless it's the show's title). i'm sure a lot of parents and kids know "Sesame Street" by Elmo or Elmo's World. I know by now all that exposure he has on the show, it might as well be called "Elmo," but I really think people and KIDS need to distinguish between SS and Elmo. He's a character ON the show, even if he is the main focus of it, it's still called Sesame Street. I'm sure a lot of kids called it "Ernie" or "Big Bird" when they were younger in those eras too.

Rax

Reaction score
It annoys me when people call the Swedish Chef, the Danish Chef (Yes, this happened :stick_out_tongue:)
If it was a German who said this, it's quite understandable, since the character is Danish in Germany. Still quite stupid that the Swedish Chef is Danish in Germany. What were they thinking? If he were Danish in Sweden it'd understandable, but in Germany?

Gr, Rax

Beauregard

Reaction score
If it was a German who said this, it's quite understandable, since the character is Danish in Germany. Still quite stupid that the Swedish Chef is Danish in Germany. What were they thinking? If he were Danish in Sweden it'd understandable, but in Germany?

Gr, Rax
Ahh...See, I knew that the Swedish Chef was called the German Chef in Sweden...Didn't know about the Danish thing.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Walking arm in arm into the sunset like this, huh? That just proves that you're a Bullwinkle fan! :big_grin:
Lol, indeed.

ROCKY: Ho-ho-ho-ho, Cisco!
BULLWINKLE: Ho-ho-ho-ho, Pancho!
BOTH: Ho-ho-ho-ho...
ROCKY: Hey wait a minute, this is the ending of another show... about cowboys...
BULLWINKLE: Well, it always worked for them!
ROCKY: Yeah, but not for us... we usually walk arm-in-arm into the sunset, like this...
BULLWINKLE: Yeah...
ROCKY: ... And the narrator says...
NARRATOR: TUNE IN NEXT TIME FOR THE FURTHER ADVENTURES OF ROCKY THE FLYING SQUIRREL, AND BULLWINKLE MOOSE! HO-HO-HO-HO, CISCO!
BULLWINKLE: Wiseguy.

Kiki

Reaction score
My list...

1. Of coarse, the whole “muppets are for babies” stuff. Even my friend, a smart girl who knows her onions, said that Muppets are aimed at 3 year-olds (she wasn’t deliberately “bashing” the Muppets, she actually thought that was the age-group that watched them).
2. People going, “y’know, there’s an M-rated Sesame Street now”. Like, what the diddly? When did that happen? XD I reckon they’re referring to Avenue Q or something.
3. “COOKIE MONSTER IS NOW VEGETABLE MONSTER. HE DOESN’T EAT COOKIES ANYMORE”.
4. People -*cough*teenagergirls*cough* but no all- claiming they’re “big muppet fans” because they can name one muppet from the top of their heads (Elmo).
5. People getting Kermit’s name wrong. Like, c’mon…
6. People thinking Jim Henson died of AIDS. -_-
7. When people are like, “ohemgeeI’mSUCHaMuppetfanIusedtoloveElmo’sWorldwhenIlastwatchedit10yearsago!”
8. Beau actually got me thinking about this… the way people mistake Elmo for a girl.
9. “Them two old guys in the box”.
10. I know some people who ask me the names of well-known and obvious Muppets when they're around certain people. And you know that they know the names, but... they don't wanna admit it... or... something? I never got that. =/ It's like, "ooh, don't judge me!" I don't understand...

--When someone calls Johnny Fiama "Guy Smiley"

--Mixing up Grover and Elmo

--"Remember the episode when Ernie died of AIDS?"
Yeah, that's so stupid, esp. the last one. :frown: Curse stereotypes...

(Runner up - mistaking the whole Kami the HIV positive Muppet situation)
Yeah, that was so dumb. -_-

When you go to a store, you ask for any Muppet stuff, and the clerk says "Elmo?" No, Elmo is not the only Muppet...
Yes, that always happens to me!

-When people call S&W "the two old guys from the Muppet Show" My second grade teacher thought their names were "Heckle and Jeckle"
LOL! Haha, that's gold!

Yeah, Richard Hunt, sadly, is the one who died of AIDS, such a tragedy, but at least he took it well.

Not to be a nitpicker or anything, but Kami doesn't have AIDS, she is HIV+... which DOES lead to AIDS, but not really that much of an issue. In respect to some of my friends here, I'm not going to go into a discussion as why there's a common misconception with Americans about HIV/AIDS which caused the outrage over Kami... but I will admit, a friend of mine in Israel asked me why Americans did make such a big deal out of a Muppet character being HIV+, and I explained to her the misconception that plagues America regarding the disease.
Yes, I don't get why it has to be such a big issue. And exactly... HIV doesn't necessarily equal AIDS.

I got annoyed when people called Kermit the Frog, Hermit the Frog (yes I've heard people say that)
I've heard that, too! From a "big Muppet fan"... :rolleyes:

I've honestly never heard this until the other night, and I don't know who started that, but it's so obviously not true, because we all know that Jim married his high school sweet heart, had five kids, and even though they separated, they remained good friends... he's even dated Daryl Hannah.
Really? O.O Wow, cool- I had no idea!

I remember a number of years ago, one of the TV evangelists ( Jerry Falwell or Jimmy Swaggart I can't remember which one) was on TV saying that Ernie and Bert were a gay couple. I remember it kinda torqued me off, at the time. :mad:

That whole idea should be buried in a big, big hole.
Agreed. The whole joke about Ernie and Bert being gay wore thin AGES ago. =/ Secondly, Laurel and Hardy shared a bed. Yes, I know that's going back a fair way, but even now in a world where nothing is sacred you don't hear anything about that.

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Well, we already said this about Ernie, but just now while I was watching Sesame Street, Aunt Michelle said, "Is Snuffleupagus still on the show? Didn't he die?"