Katy Perry song banned from Sesame Street Season 41

Should Katy Perry's song been cut from Sesame Street?

• Yes

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • No

Votes: 109 79.0%

• Total voters

SpinneyBigBird1

Reaction score
You know, I started wondering if they'd make any jokes regarding the incident on last night's Saturday Night Live, and then I heard that Katy Perry was the music guest... This irony is a bit too good to be true (not to mention the fact that this controversy happened a week before the season premiere of Sesame Street). I didn't watch SNL last night (I prefer 1975-1980 and 1988-1994 SNL), but I'll have to find some Hulu clips.
Katy actually did poke fun at the situation in the very first sketch. She appeared as a sixteen-year-old girl who reads to little children at the public library who developed over the summer, with her breasts bulging out of an Elmo tee on a Bronx Beat sketch with Amy Poehler and Maya Rudolph.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Perry's low-cut front is covered in flesh-colored mesh and she's not falling out of it in the least. I still don't see the big deal. :confused:

beaker

Reaction score
Combine this with the bad press from the Fox News flap and whatever other things some yutz can complain about (I swear Tea Party people are going to get insulted over the veggie protest bit)... Sesame Street WILL start to repress itself, leading to finding subject matter kids need is a little too bold and risky, and certain guests they'll steer clear of. Ladies and gentlemen, Sesame Street is a bold show. We showed breast feeding and mentioned DEATH. You can't even say someone got killed in an action cartoon. We had Richard Pryor on the show... We had the Simpsons on the show when the PTA was whining about how realistic Bart was. And no 4 year olds grew up to drop cherrybombs in the toilet. You're not going to have your boys turn into Quagmire, and your girls aren't going to dress any wilder than they did 5 years ago when we were hotwiring them to become little ho's and NO ONE pulled Bratz off the shelves. Guy who created them looked like a dirty old man anyway.

And freaking California Gurls is on Kid's Bop and NO ONE complained.
You know, how come noone complained when the US military was using the Sesame Street theme song used in torture sessions in Iraq?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/3042907.stm
Talk about Joe Raposo rolling in his grave.

beaker

Reaction score
I'm glad they pulled it. My disappointment with SW is for even spending valuable cash on that fraud of a "singer" to begin with.

I disapprove of the cleavage as well (and I'm hardly a religious conservative - quite the opposite, actually), but that has nothing to do with it for me. I simply don't like Katy Perry as a person. I have my reasons.
I find Zoey Deschanel way hotter, and a better singer

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder what the point was of having her wear a flesh-colored bodysuit over her chest. It's not like kids would notice.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but can I remind people of the Kobe Bryant scandel back in '00s and we already had him as a guest star on the show. :frown:

I mean you don't see anyone complaining about him, do you?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but can I remind people of the Kobe Bryant scandel back in '00s and we already had him as a guest star on the show. :frown:

I mean you don't see anyone complaining about him, do you?
What he did was alleged. He was never convicted of it, and honestly, it's really hard to tell if celebrities actually DO these things, or some greedy spotlight hog is trying to frame them. I tend to give people in that situation the benefit of the doubt now until it had been proven that they pulled such acts. Look what happened with Michael Jackson. Even I believed it for the longest time. Besides, I absolutely hate the culture's attitude towards sports heroes. We put these people on pedestals and then when someone does something stupid, we treat them as if they're monsters. You can't build a Frankenstein and then chase him with pitchforks when he goes wrong.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Take a look at this promotional artwork by Jack Davis for the 1974 special Out to Lunch:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060128045261/muppet/images/e/ec/Lunch2.jpg

Notice something?

And what about this scene from episode 102 of The Muppet Show:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100410022216/muppet/images/3/38/102-22.jpg

Still think kids won't ever see cleavage in their lives? And would they even give a carp about it?

Very funny Rainbow Connection parody talking about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsj-X6mlu-M

Quesal

Reaction score
The song itself is great! Just have Katy do the bit again in less "skanty" clothes to please the parents and everyone will be happy I'd say

RockSTAR girl

Reaction score
Just watched it, its cute and all BUT the dress in my opinion is inappropriate. I truly believe young girls see outfits like this on tv and think it is ok to aspire to dress like that, that is why someone can go outside and see people dressed similarly. Katy has in fact been seen wearing more, just google Katy Perry images and you'll find tons of figure flattering dresses she has worn that do not expose her cleavage to that degree. Its not Katys fault though, it falls on the wardrobe department. Also, that dress on another woman, probably would not have been so "showy". They did not know how to dress Katy's figure. Regardless, I am glad they pulled it. Its nice to see some social responsibility from a tv show.
I also dont think that everyone on the internet should be hating on these mothers who made their opinions known. They are just sharing that they find the video to a certain degree offensive. If you have kids and you think that they should see this video, great for you, you can pull it up for them on youtube.