Can Sesame Street go to Congress?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I didn't see him contracting much. In the video he seemed to be agreeing with the potential investor's rather racist claims. He said he agreed that "those who own the newspapers" have "Zionist, pro Israel" biases. Not only was he pandering to a stereotype, he was also implying there's something wrong with supporting Israel. Like I said, I didn't see very much contradicting from him. But if there's more to the story, I'm willing to listen. I know that videos can be deceiving.
Where the heck was Admiral Ackbar in all this? That was a TRAP!

In fact, this NPR rep kept uncomfortably shoveling food in his mouth most of the time this plant was spouting his hate-speech. He also went on to correct him that coverage on NPR and other such sources were not biased and nobody accepted any monetary offer at the table. I guess it's hard to talk to a bigot when you've been sent to meet with them about fund raising. But there's nothing about this meeting that truly shocked me - especially considering that Glen Beck, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh can't seem to go a day without saying something culturally insensitive or downright bigoted. I still found little, if anything, wrong with this clip. It's a shame this guy will be reprimanded for a game of gotcha.
It's the whole we can paint people with a brush, but we'll call everyone else out on it when they do it to us... basically the rules only apply to YOU and we can break them in your face crap that's trying to get them back into the emperor's chair, stripping away everyone's rights while saying "small government" so many times it has no meaning.

This was a trap... this was egged on... this was the result of the very same "gotcha" journalism their side wants to desperately stop out.

Where the heck are the reports of Glenn Hack's crooked conspiracy theory that a certain liberal head of a Jewish organization actually helped out Hitler's regime? How about the times he said the President was racist against whites... then racist about blacks... His head is so far up his butt he can't even keep his cockmamie paid opinions straight. Then he had a whole report about how Harry Reid is a racist that lasted well over a week. With an actual black token on his panel he didn't let say anything. And let's not forget about Bully O'Reily who said Muslims were responsible for 9/11. I'm sorry, but when someone on the left says something outrageous, biased, bigoted, stupid, and offensive, they become social pariahs, the worst people on the planet, and completely free of integrity. Someone on the right says the same thing, but with more venom and actual hate, they get a book deal, a syndicated show, and more money than Solomon's mines.

Here's something... Avenue Q is right. Everyone's a little bit racist. We have to all accept that, feel like jerks about it, and move on.

Also we need to see this for exactly what it is, a biased organization exposing that another organization is biased. Two words: EPIC FAIL! Even if NPR had a show called "The Let's call the Tea Party Racist Pinheads Hour," they paint the left with the very same brush they say the left paints the right with. Difference? For every 5 people that listen to NPR, everyone else in the country watches Fox News. It's a big multimillion dollar opinion machine. Why then would they begrudge a tiny syndicated radio station that gets literally a hay penny from everyone who pays taxes... especially when every other station on the dial is right wing talk radio?

But that's not even why they're doing it. They want to sucker the American public into thinking their job killing cuts to keep up those wealthy tax cuts stay FOREVER... or at least until one of their Neo-Convicts comes into power and gives them a bigger bail out... err tax dodge...err tax cut.

Sigh, isn't it wonderful to live in a country where one party can crush worker's rights, blame "evil" brown people for everything, steal from the poor and give to the rich, and vilify the other side for letting them do it?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
He also went on to correct him that coverage on NPR and other such sources were not biased.
See when I heard the statement, to me it's not that he was assuring them there was no bias. He was assuring them that there was no support for Israel, because he thought that's what these investors wanted to hear. That's the problem I had with what he said.

Where the heck was Admiral Ackbar in all this? That was a TRAP!
Big deal though, lol, I mean he could have said anything, but that's what he chose to say?

Drtooth

Reaction score
See when I heard the statement, to me it's not that he was assuring them there was no bias. He was assuring them that there was no support for Israel, because he thought that's what these investors wanted to hear. That's the problem I had with what he said.
Again, 2 wrongs don't make a right, but he WAS baited to say that. Nervously, I might add. But then again, thinking about how that snake PURPOSELY picked such a polarizing rubber suit... makes you wonder if he was TRYING to get that response out of him. I don't like what he said their, nervously or baited either, but that was the plan.

Speaking off the record, I find both sides of that part of the world complete pinheads. One side kills people on the other side to get revenge on the other side killing them for revenge on the other side killing them for the other side... blah blah blah. Again, 2 wrongs don't make a right. The only people who make any sense are the young kids who don't CARE about those battles (which are clearly used to manipulate the citizens that vote for their own pinhead politicians so they don't have to sully themselves in battle), and make friends with the same "enemies" their politicians and brainwashed parents tell them to obliterate, or side with the mindless kill bots. Peace starts with someone leaving the noisey room so they can read quietly.

Oh, and those are the people that get killed the most. The peaceful people who don't care and want to live their lives.

Of course, I'm sure they're trying to emphasize the fact he said nasty things about the Tea Party a LOT more than anti-Israeli remarks. And I have to admit, I agree on some level with what he said there. The Republican party is NO the same party. You've got Neo-Cons running the scene and these poser libertarians (libertarians hate both sides... plus they are VERY extreme in their views in cases) on the other. The founder of the party, the great Abe Lincoln would be appalled the very same party he created to save the country is used to divide it so. Teddy Roosevelt, the great Trustbuster would be appalled at their de-regulation and union busting.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, it's starting to surface the extent of this guy's creative editing. Turns out this Cheatsy O'Koopa guy should really work for Michael Bay... cutting out the plot and just keeping the explosive fluff.

Here's the REAL story that NO ONE is reporting.

The person in question who was filmed was actually a republican himself... he actually mentions in the unedited version that he spoke to top members of the Republican party about their opinion of the Tea Party... and they don't like them either (probably, except for their votes)... his mention that they'd be better out without funding was edited out of context, meaning they wouldn't be so scrutinized by biased commercial "where the money is" newspinion organizations for being biased.

The pathetic pandering to a fake Muslim organization (hey, wait... didn't one of their own guys get fired for saying racist things about Muslims before getting picked up by Fox?) is all the fundraisers fault, though. But hey, how else are you going to pry money out of someone? Suck up.

But, HEY! This monolith kicking over a sandcastle is doing it's job. The right's using it as "we shouldn't government subsidize anything but oil and big health" leverage again. And here we go with "I don't want my tax dollars to blah blah blah." Yeah, well, I don't want my tax dollars to go to renaming things after Reagan and putting Reagan's face on money. His family has enough money to do that themselves. but I don't have that choice.

Yeah, PBS is doomed.

Reaction score
Jim Henson is spinning in his grave right now because it was never intended that his creations to be used as political pawns by the turds that run PBS and NPR.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, because Sesame Street can survive on a regular broadcast station... why it can be part of the Saturday morning Line up of Kid's WB... oh wait... that's gone. How about the Fox Kids line up... oh wait? That's infomercials now.

No... wait. it can be Nick Jr. What a relief. But we have to altyer it to remain competitive. It has to be a full half hour Elmo's world... and CGI to save costs. And it's voiced in Canada... so yeah. SS can survive on a broadcast station... just not in a way that anyone would be happy.

Yeah, Jim's REALLY rolling in his grave that one of the same network's that helped his creation's launch national success is run by turds... :rolleyes:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Ooo now this is an intriguing article!

Sesame Street Neighbors Go to Washington
http://blogs.babble.com/strollerderby/2011/03/15/sesame-street-neighbors-go-to-washington/

"Emilio Delgado, Roscoe Orman, Bob McGrath, Alan Muraoka, and Alison Bartlett O’Reilly — members of the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists who play recurring characters Luis, Gordon, Bob, Alan and Gina on the longest-running children’s educational television show — joined forces in the nation’s capital to convince the Senate to fully fund the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. Will their faces, so familiar to the lawmakers’ kids or grandkids, be convincing?"

Reaction score
First off both PBS and NPR can survive federal funds second SS hasn't been the same in years how could switching networks make it any worst. I don't think Jim ever intended his creation's to be used as political pawns infact the only time JH ever used the muppet's to make a political stand was the TV spots Kermitt did for the National Wildlife Fund.

Drtooth

Reaction score
First off both PBS and NPR can survive federal funds second SS hasn't been the same in years how could switching networks make it any worst. I don't think Jim ever intended his creation's to be used as political pawns infact the only time JH ever used the muppet's to make a political stand was the TV spots Kermitt did for the National Wildlife Fund.
Yeah... I'll say this once and only once in bold type:

Anyone who thinks SS can survive on any other network is kidding themselves and knows NOTHING of the children's television climate on corporate commercial programming. If you don't believe me, wake up to a Saturday morning sometime. Without cable!

Secondly, Jim Henson didn't create Sesame Street... anyone who is an actual Muppet fan knows that. He almost refused to work on it at one point. But Jim had a nice relationship with everyone in CTW/SW, and everyone that worked on the show... why wouldn't they want to preserve that?

Thirdly, Oh yeah, Jim Henson's creations are being used as pawns... no more than PBS and NPR's evil "liberalness" is being used as a pawn against the fakey budget busting the Tea Party Poopers want so they greedily don't have to pay taxes. Hey, America! Wake up! The first thing they did when they got elected was to protect the billions in tax cuts the wealthy, who used those to pad their profits and not actually hire anybody. If they were oh so serious about the budget, they'd take these people off corporate welfare first. You can't make budget nickel and diming PBS and NPR. If you desperately need that money, Congress, take a pay cut. If you're paid 3 dollars less, NPR and PBS would be safe. If we got out of Iraqistan one day earlier, NPR and PBS would be safe. If we didn't federally fund race horse insemination, NPR and PBS would be safe. Remember, the very same people the country sent to bust the budget is the SAME exact party that screwed us up last decade.

Fourthly, Yeah... Kermit is spelled with as many T's as possible.

As for the article, this guy summed it up better than I could.

Because a non-commercially funded broadcast system is able to air all that stuff that gets pushed off the air by stories about Charlie Sheen and Lindsey Lohan. Seriously, I heard a guy call in and complain that NPR spent to much time covering abortion and the environment. When you don’t fill up the air waves with entertainment BS, guess what? You can cover a lot of issues, international news, social issues, politics in depth. That seems to me common sense, not liberal or conservative. The idea of a free press is important enough to be in the constitution, and a pillar on which democracy rests. It is easy to whine about the state of journalism, but at the end of the day, we need to have a source of news that can’t be influenced by business, since most other news outlets are. Even if you believe public broadcasting is teh evil liberals, they are different from commercial news and they are held to a high standard. That is sorely needed.