MSTies unite!

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
The biggest news in all of Mystery Science Theater 3000 DVD release history! :excited:

Shout! Factory has pulled off the truly impossible! The next MST3K DVD set will be all five Gamera movies together! Set for release August 2nd!

By the by, there's no reason to bite.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
WooHOO! Does it come with a toy, like the last set with Gypsy? :smile:

"Gameraaaaaaa...Gameraaaaaa...Gamera is really neat, Gamera is full of meat, we all love you Gam-er-aaaaaaaaa!"

Joel's discussion of pet turtles and salmonella in one of the Gamera eps had me laughing hysterically; as a small child I too had a tiny, sad turtle in a tiny, sad "beach" bowl...poor thing. (Hey, I'd never do that now. I accuse my parents!) :eek:

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Sadly, no. It's just the standard posters (Unless you pre-order directly from Shout! (Which gets you a limited edition postcard set and MST3K stress ball)).

newsmanfan

Reaction score
Still pretty cool. :smile:

On the recommendation of several of you, tonight I'll be commissioning a copy of "Soultaker" along with "Catalina Caper" from my friend. (I needs me some Creepy Girl.) Happily he only charges me for materials, which are cheap. Not all the copies are from the "official" releases, of course, but my friend has decent digital copies of every ep, so picking and choosing is a luxury indeed.

Serious offer: if anyone wants specific ones, and doesn't have another way to get 'em, contact me...

newsmanfan

Reaction score
So...spent my Memorial Day in MSTie heaven...sorta...

First, watched "Catalina Caper," and realized I really should've asked Marty for a copy of "Jungle Goddess" to put with it for an If Republicans Ruled the World Double Feature. Best lines:
"I think they sent the wrong people to 'Nam, Joel..."
"Okay people, everybody wear eye protection, there's a lotta loose ends flyin' together here..."
...and the many, many, MANY White People jokes. Classic! Also, Frank's "Blue Velvet" impression during the invention exchange was a beaut!

Then I moved onto the main event: the "Samson vs the Vampire Women" and "Soultaker" double-header! I hadn't seen "Samson" since it originally aired, and had forgotten just how amazingly abysmal the film was...and what a great job they did on it! Best lines:
"Let the Cher jokes begin!"
"I dedicate this song to Thorazine..."
"In short: Yes, we have second bananas!" (Torgo to Frank)
"Meanwhile, back at the world's most joyless party..."
and of course, Dr F's tender love ballad, "Who Will I Kill?"

"Soultaker" was well worth it; thanks to all here who recommended it! The version Marty gave me was put out by Shout Factory and included a hysterical short interview with Joe Estevez, in which he says he found the film to be "really scary" and "feels honored" that MST riffed it. Funny as H-- and worth a lookup for those of you who haven't seen it. Best lines for "Soultaker":
"It's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room!"
"I hope we were thrown violently out of the movie."
"Edward Hopper's 'Quickie-Mart.'"
"Yeah, jump up my tube, white boy!" (Gypsy)
(on a flatline) "The movie's story arc."
and the astoundingly funny ending re-write that Crow and Servo do over the end credits!

And I have a K epsiode, "The Green Slime", to watch tonight! Hooray!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Good. Next I ould say you get yourself Hamlet and Hobgoblins, both from Season 10.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm watching The Beast of Yucca Flats right now. I also loved the two shorts that went along with it, especially Progress Island USA (about Puerto Rico).

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
I'm watching The Beast of Yucca Flats right now. I also loved the two shorts that went along with it, especially Progress Island USA (about Puerto Rico).
Which reminds me, does anybody else have a glitch on their Beast disc? Halfway through the Money Talks short, the audio on mine hiccups for about a second.

I went and exchanged it for a new one, but the same thing happened. I was just wondering if it was on all of them, or if I am just fantastically unlucky.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
If you're watching Beast, make it a double-header with Red Zone Cuba by the same (and I use this term loosely) director.

No, my next additions will be two I really need: Manos and Mitchell!

The Green Slime Marty gave me was a convention bootleg, and more Joel and Frank and Trace and Josh giving commentary on how MST began than much else; some clips from that first-ever episode. So I turned to the last KTMA one, which I hadn't watched previously: Legend of the Dinosaurs, a Sandy Frank confection of chaos which makes Mighty Jack look COHERENT. It may be (I'm checking) the very first instance of the "Theme from MASH" being hummed by the guys while helicopter footage flies by. It also demonstrates the need the guys discovered for actually scripting their shows. There's a moment more than halfway in when Joel delivers a line that is so WRONG, so pricelessly shameful, that he not only cracked Trace and Josh up but he himself was laughing out of character for at least a minute! (The line is "Finish the job, man!" but I'm not saying what the onscreen action was. Let's just say it was easy to misinterpret...)

Other best lines from Legend of the Dinosaurs:
"Too bad she survived the fall. Now she has to be in the film."
"They use EVERYTHING in a movie, don't they? Nothing goes to waste!"
"When there was no fowl, we ate crawdad. When there was no crawdad, we ate sand..."
"Mount Fuji...again." (about 100 times throughout the film)
"The next 10 pages of dialogue are grunting."

I will ask about Hamlet and Hobgoblins, Count. Thanks!