Redesigned Muppets for "The Muppets" movie

Reevz1977

Reaction score
I don't expect many to agree, but these are my thoughts on the new puppets...

First of all, theres a huge welcome return to for on some characters that have been way of on recent productions especially Scooter who has never looked better.

That said, I really don't like the new look Fozzie. I don't like the fur, the face shape and particularly dislike his eye focus - he looks spaced out!! I'm also not very fond of "bee-sting Gonzo*", theres just something about him that bothers me :frown:

My overall comment would be that these new Muppets are too...perfect. They really lack the ragtag charm of the originals. I loved that the Muppets were never perfect, that there was a "craziness" not only in their personalities but also in their appearance, something very...non-Disney - infact, perhaps that's just it, this is "Disney's The Muppets" for better or for worse.

All that being said, from what I've seen - this film ROCKS!!! And I can't thank the Mouse House enough for that!

* ©Stuart Reeves 2011

Drtooth

Reaction score

First of all, theres a huge welcome return to for on some characters that have been way of on recent productions especially Scooter who has never looked better.

That said, I really don't like the new look Fozzie. I don't like the fur, the face shape and particularly dislike his eye focus - he looks spaced out!! I'm also not very fond of "bee-sting Gonzo*", theres just something about him that bothers me :frown:

My overall comment would be that these new Muppets are too...perfect. They really lack the ragtag charm of the originals. I loved that the Muppets were never perfect, that there was a "craziness" not only in their personalities but also in their appearance, something very...non-Disney - infact, perhaps that's just it, this is "Disney's The Muppets" for better or for worse.

All that being said, from what I've seen - this film ROCKS!!! And I can't thank the Mouse House enough for that!

* ©Stuart Reeves 2011
I don't get Fozzie's grey eyebrows, and I still don't dig the less detailed Gonzo nose... and advanced puppetry technique HAS made everything look too perfect (I have real problems with how Ernie and Bert look currently, though I'll take it over droopy ugly proto Ernie and Bert from the test show and first season).

But I am LOVING the new Miss Piggy... at least over her modern era designs. I especially love the different hairstyles she went through just in this new movie alone. That flat hair piggy just looked terrible and accentuated her face being too squat.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score

p

* ©Stuart Reeves 2011
I'm going to completely agree with you here - especially on Gonzo. I really liked how he'd evolved up to Muppets Tonight and then maybe he became a little too clean looking, but this new version doesn't look quite right. I see an effort of trying to go back to the GMC era, but it doesn't quite work. It results in kind of a formless head and a puffy beak with a sheath construction that almost resembles the MR poser's nose-sock. I mean, he's not bad looking. Just not great. The coloring also looked a little off. Maybe this had to do with the bluescreening issues.

I agree 100% on Fozzie. One friend of mine always remarked how he resembled fried chicken. Hahaha. Well, thats due to the color and texture of his fur. Now it looks more plush-like. Again, he's okay, but not quite right.

Animal is actually looking better than a couple years ago, but I really would like to see the puppet go back to the Muppet Show days like they've done with Sam.

Scooter looks and sounds fantastic! Of course, Piggy hasn't looked this good in years.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I also think that Disney's ownership has affected the look of the Muppets. They're cleaner and more brightly colored. It has also been said that there usually was only one of each Muppet build in Jim's day. That appears to have changed. I believe Disney decided that as long as they're investing in rebuilds of each character that they should create durable multiples that last longer. That's probably why they look a bit squeaky clean. I do like a lot about this latest attempt by Puppet Heap. It's just not exactly on the mark. I doubt we'll ever see iterations of the ragtag puppets we grew up with. The ones of exposed foam that held charm in the fact that they usually were in need of refurbishing for one reason or another.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
I don't think Disney owning the Muppets has anything to do with it.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
I don't think Disney owning the Muppets has anything to do with it.
Maybe you are right. Manufacturing techniques and all have advanced since the Henson era. Who knows, if Jim was around today maybe they would be more perfect. It was just purely conjecture as Disney like everything "perfect".

Beauregard

Reaction score
Maybe you are right. Manufacturing techniques and all have advanced since the Henson era. Who knows, if Jim was around today maybe they would be more perfect. It was just purely conjecture as Disney like everything "perfect".
Indeed, Jim may have always intended for them to be as perfectly formed as possible -- hence their constant adjustments throughout the TMS eras.

However, I honestly LOVED when they looked less airbrushed and more lived in. It is a little like comparing old James Bond movies to new ones I suppose. The old ones have a certain, ragtag charm but you KNOW it was all produced on camera. The new ones are slick and fancy, but how much of it is REAL?

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
I still don't like everyone saying the new gonzo is horrible. He looks better than he did on Letters to Santa, his eyelids didn't even touch his eyes.

And Scooter and Fozzie look great, I loved the era when Scooter had a NECK, so yes, I love this new Scooter, not the weird, flatshapped one. And Fozzie has been hit or miss for eons. Some made him look like... erm... SPECIAL...Fozzie...