Dealing with depression and anxiety

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I was in a bad mood yesterday, myself. Had a bit of a crying fit and had to make some phone calls for reassurance.
That's awesome that you can make phone calls. That always seems weird for me to do. You feeling any better? Did the phone calls help?

I probably should've made phone calls. Nothing says "depressing day" like crying in your theatre department's bathroom stall. Yeesh.

Hopefully today will be better for all of us!
Wow, I'm sorry about that. What happened? Just moods?

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I've been very anxious today because I'm planning on telling my parents that I'm not going to do my honors thesis this semester because my depression and anxiety have made me decide that I'd be better off focusing on just my classes this semester and nothing additional. I'll still graduate and everything, I just won't have a fancy stamp on my degree or something.

I just can't muster up the required courage to broach the topic with them yet. Hopefully it will go well, once, you know, I actually talk to them about it.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I hope it goes well too charlie. That's hard telling your parents stuff like that so I understand your hesitance. I'll be praying for the outcome and for your courage.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-------------------
Hope everyone is past their full-moon jitters. :smile: Ya know, suicides and injuries and crime really do go up during that cycle; must be something to it. And although I don't suffer from it (I adore gray days), I know many people suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder. I have a friend in OR who keeps a sun lamp for just that reason so she can get a little sunlight even on cloudy days.

Charlie, if you feel the honors thesis is too much, then don't put yourself through it; that little stamp on your degree means absolutely zilch in most of Outer Space. I graduated college magna cum laude...so what? It's done nothing for me, and so if going for that bit o'gold stresses you, then shrug it off! Tell your folks this is about your sanity, not your resume'! :smile:

-----------------------

Puckrox

Reaction score
Wow, I'm sorry about that. What happened? Just moods?
I'd been having a high stress day already (just one of those days where nothing's really going right and, I dunno, just feeling down in the dumps) and I found out my professor was already gone for the day and I really needed to talk to him, so I guess it just pushed me over the edge.

Today's been much better for me though. Thank goodness!

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I'd been having a high stress day already (just one of those days where nothing's really going right and, I dunno, just feeling down in the dumps) and I found out my professor was already gone for the day and I really needed to talk to him, so I guess it just pushed me over the edge.

Today's been much better for me though. Thank goodness!
I remember days like that during school. A million laughs right :stick_out_tongue: That's great that today was better :smile:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
So I finally mustered up the fortitude to tell my mother about my depression and my decision to skip doing my thesis, and it went well. She understood my decision and said she would support me, which was nice.

Puckrox

Reaction score
So I finally mustered up the fortitude to tell my mother about my depression and my decision to skip doing my thesis, and it went well. She understood my decision and said she would support me, which was nice.
That's great to hear! It's always wonderful when parents are understanding and support whatever decisions you choose to make. :smile:

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
That's awesome charlie! Good for you.

I know this is a little late but someone gave me some advice for how to talk to someone when you need to break something like that to them. The idea was that you sandwich your desire in between two things you can do instead or in essence two consessions that you can give, that way it's less likely to put somoeone on the defensive.

Like I said, it's a little late cuz you obviously handled it nicely. But just thought I'd throw that in.