Dealing with depression and anxiety

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Well, I experienced it for decades (still do, in some areas of my life).

And I'm just fine. *twitches* :stick_out_tongue:

newsmanfan

Reaction score
---------------
Agreed -- ALL forms of abuse should be penalized much more stiffly than they are. All abusers ought to be locked in cages for days on end so they get a taste of it. Very sorry, and wishing strength and endurance and much backbone, to anyone who has to suffer any of that. :sympathy:
-----------------

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Having one of my toughest evenings in a long time. Sometimes it's very hard to deal with all this depression and anxiety stuff without wondering WHY it's all happening. What did I do to deserve to have to deal with this? I know that "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger", but shoot I didn't realize this was going to be so darn hard.

Hopefully some hot chocolate and a long night's sleep will do me some good, I really hope so.

DramaQueenMokey

Reaction score
Having one of my toughest evenings in a long time. Sometimes it's very hard to deal with all this depression and anxiety stuff without wondering WHY it's all happening. What did I do to deserve to have to deal with this? I know that "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger", but shoot I didn't realize this was going to be so darn hard.
I understand exactly how you feel. The past few days my anxiety has been through the roof and as crazy tough as it is I'm going day by day and as easy as others want to make that sound it isn't, not in the least.

Feel better <3

RedPiggy

Reaction score
It's really not about "deserving" anything. Neurons can only take so much. They are only equipped to handle so much stimulation. Whether it's good or bad (hence why euphoria can be just as damaging), overloading the circuits wears them out. It becomes harder and harder to recover. The worst part is if you are still stuck in a life where the stimulus causing the problem just isn't going away. It's possible, but it's incredibly hard. It requires some gradual reprogramming. Cognitive therapy and, if necessary, chemical therapy will do what it can to assist. It's a slow process, but people must hold out hope. After all, it took years to get the brain to act that way, so it won't heal overnight. At any rate, it's mainly about cutting the neurons some slack so they can recuperate from the storm of neurotransmitters.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
It's really not about "deserving" anything. Neurons can only take so much. They are only equipped to handle so much stimulation. Whether it's good or bad (hence why euphoria can be just as damaging), overloading the circuits wears them out. It becomes harder and harder to recover. The worst part is if you are still stuck in a life where the stimulus causing the problem just isn't going away. It's possible, but it's incredibly hard. It requires some gradual reprogramming. Cognitive therapy and, if necessary, chemical therapy will do what it can to assist. It's a slow process, but people must hold out hope. After all, it took years to get the brain to act that way, so it won't heal overnight. At any rate, it's mainly about cutting the neurons some slack so they can recuperate from the storm of neurotransmitters.
It's hard sometimes to think rationally about these kinds of things. I know on some level that I had been heading down a bad road with my thought processes and decision making, and that it's going to take a long time to get better. I also know that my brain isn't exactly working like it used to, and I need to treat it differently (do less than I used to). But I can't tell myself that all the time, because thinking emotionally is largely part of my problem. When I'm feeling really sad, it's hard to tell myself that there are biological reasons behind what is happening to me.

I'm feeling better this morning, though I feel emotionally hung over, so to speak. Hopefully nothing happens today and it'll be nice and quiet.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Sometimes when I try to be logical about it it just makes things worse. I'll feel stressed or depressed about either sometime really small, or stressed and depressed for no reason at all. Then I stress out or feel bad becaus eI'm feeling that way and there's no reason I should be. It's all a viscious cycle.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
*nods*

I realized it just kept getting worse and worse. I finally broke down and decided to get looked at. While the labs taken at the time showed nothing wrong, I was convinced that I was having wild hormonal swings (based on the fact the mood swings happened, oh, about once a month at least ... I mean, do the math). I had some issues with the hormone pills killing off emotional potency, but I guess my body is starting to feel a balance again, but it also means I can get sad again. :stick_out_tongue:

Just can't win for losing, LOL. :smile: