TV Alert: Grover and Telly on Fox and Friends May 31

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I don't think we're getting anywhere with this so I'm just gonna stop now. But, personally, I don't see that segment as a campaign ad as it wasn't directly advocating for a certain candidate. So, I don't know. I just disagree with you. I guess this discussion is over.

And somebody please tell Drtooth that I can still read his posts even though he can't read mine. He's just getting annoying with his attitude towards me.
A Fox News segment producer created an expensive 4 minute anti-Obama "advertisement" that led to conclusions and aired it during their NEWS segment.

MSNBC's Chris Matthews created a brief Romney "blooper reel" several months ago before he was the Republican nominee and aired it during their ENTERTAINMENT programming.

I'm not a fan of either practice, but the difference is that one is legal, the other is not.

If Chris Matthews had been anchoring NBC nightly news and aired that piece he would be fired and the network would be fined.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So, how about Fox's funding of the Tea Party or their donation of millions of dollars to the Republican Governors Association in 2010? They've surpassed just having a biased to undermining the government. And this from an organization owned by someone who's having problems with illegal wire tapping in the media he owns in the UK. It's complete and utter illegal activities all around.

I absolutely despise the 24/7 cable media crapfest we have, MSNBC or Fox. They're both complete garbage and both sides should stick to entertainment and leave news to REAL professionals that apparently no longer exist.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
So, how about Fox's funding of the Tea Party or their donation of millions of dollars to the Republican Governors Association in 2010? They've surpassed just having a biased to undermining the government. And this from an organization owned by someone who's having problems with illegal wire tapping in the media he owns in the UK. It's complete and utter illegal activities all around.

I absolutely despise the 24/7 cable media crapfest we have, MSNBC or Fox. They're both complete garbage and both sides should stick to entertainment and leave news to REAL professionals that apparently no longer exist.
I haven't and won't go into all of that. That sort of digging finds bodies all around. It is unfortunate that Fox News is owned by the world's tabloid king. When you break it down, all news networks are owned by entertainment conglomerates. 20th Century Fox, Time-Warner, Viacom, Disney and Comcast-owned NBCUniversal.

Vincent L

Reaction score
Can someone tell me where I can watch this online? I don't have FOX news here. (and even if I did, it airs at midnight)

And also: I'm glad I'm not old enough to be in politics.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I haven't and won't go into all of that. That sort of digging finds bodies all around. It is unfortunate that Fox News is owned by the world's tabloid king. When you break it down, all news networks are owned by entertainment conglomerates. 20th Century Fox, Time-Warner, Viacom, Disney and Comcast-owned NBCUniversal.
Ah yes. That 1990's Clinton signed FCC deregulation. The same bill that ruined children's TV cartoons that I'm constantly whining about.

I don't feel like posting the SNL TV Funhouse "Mediaopoly" sketch again.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
[Directly on topic] Does anyone have any info about the particular content of this latest Sesame effort and what this covers that hadn’t been covered in previous media created for military families? [/topic]

[Side Topic] Okay, I’m going to lend one more post about this controversy before I drop it. I have seen both segments in full and this is the skinny and a link to where you can view both clips if anyone is interested.

Chris Matthews’ political entertainment program “Hardball” did in fact air a 90 second parody piece last February, long before Romney became the Republican nominee. It was made to resemble “The Artist.” The theme of the piece was “Mitt, Better-Off Mute.” It catalogs one Mitt Romney stump speech blooper where he says,”I love this state. It’s right here. Trees are the right height. ” The piece was shown via the smaller screen-within-the screen method to make sure viewers knew that this is not the news portion of MSNBC programming and did not reflect the opinions of the network even though this just poked fun of Romney’s speaking skills and not his politics. Matthews has aired Obama and Hilary gaffes just like this before. So while this isn’t ideal and does portray his political leanings, it doesn’t count in the same arena as a news-sponsored campaign advertisement. Immediately following the clip, Hardball devoted 50 seconds of light criticism directed toward Hilary Clinton pertaining to the hypocrisy of her overseas partisan stumping for President Obama after she said she would stay away from the practice.

Fox News’ “Fox & Friends” morning news magazine aired a 4-minute partisan piece titled “Obama-Then and Now” that admittedly took weeks to produce. It is a short film that began with a titlecard that reads “Fox & Friends Presents Hope & Change.” It wasn’t about a candidate’s silly fumbling during his speeches. The piece directly cites several of the President’s statements and then draws conclusions about campaign issues with slick graphics made to clearly illustrate the Republican viewpoint. This is a Fox News produced direct attack on a Democratic candidate. It has a political narrative that was constructed in an editing room. When this campaign advertisement is over, the Fox & Friends news reporters praise the piece and they cut to commercial.

Fox News Channel is now stating that producer Chris White had gone rogue in his assembling and airing of Wednesday’s controversial piece. He will likely lose his job over it. Interestingly enough he was going to leave for CNN and they now have declined him employment due to this recent breech of ethics.

This is apples and oranges.
[/topic]

Drtooth

Reaction score
Fox News Channel is now stating that producer Chris White had gone rogue in his assembling and airing of Wednesday’s controversial piece. He will likely lose his job over it. Interestingly enough he was going to leave for CNN and they now have declined him employment due to this recent breech of ethics.
Making an example and delegating the blame before any legal recourse can be taken and let it tarnish their "completely flawless record." Seems like a commonplace corporate move.

Still, they'll let this crap happen again and again and come off clean.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Making an example and delegating the blame before any legal recourse can be taken and let it tarnish their "completely flawless record." Seems like a commonplace corporate move.

Still, they'll let this crap happen again and again and come off clean.
MSNBC fired Olbermann for much lesser offenses for off-air activities. He was funny sometimes, but I was never much a fan of his righteous indignation. The other networks get in the mud yet employ the usual CYA moves to cover their butts that Fox doesn't bother with. I think that's the real difference. Playing by the rules.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Turns out they're not even going to fire the guy behind it after all

The FCC's just something people call on to overreact to television content old fogeys find unacceptable now, isn't it?
Wow! I honestly believe that Fox gets a pass on this because their buffoonish handing of the airwaves provides a feast for so many news sources and makes their competition look better in comparison. Just one of these offenses would have gotten someone fired at any of the other networks. Yes, their all slanted to some extent but they play by the rules. This will be another item (like calling the First Lady the racist term of "Baby Mama") that will get swept under the carpet and it will join the catalog of items they pretend never happened. Again, I'm glad this didn't occur on the day Grover and Telly were there.

Back on topic. Does anyone know what the message of the latest program for military families that sets it apart from the other ones?