1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

TV Alert: Grover and Telly on Fox and Friends May 31

Discussion in 'Sesame Appearances' started by Phillip, May 30, 2012.

1. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'd almost understand if it was the other way around, since... well, let's face it... Sesame Street is more popular than the other Muppets. Obviously because it's always been around. But to confuse the show that came before it with the show that came after it? :rolleyes:
  2. Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

Yeah and since Grover looks so much like Telly. Oi, oi!!!
  3. jvcarroll Well-Known Member

[Feel Free To Ignore This Portion If It Offends Your Conservative Viewpoint, But I’m Trying To Be Honest] It’s no secret that I am no fan of any cable news stations, especially Fox News. Less items are hurled at my television now that I no longer have cable. :o They all have agendas, yet I believe that Fox News’ journalism, in particular, to be yellower than Big Bird’s feathers. :wisdom: That said, Fox & Friends is not an accurate portrayal of the network’s on-air talent. In fact, their morning team of caffeinated dodos likely represents the lowest combined IQ rating of any anchorpeople on the planet. :attitude: They’re not only known for this, it's kind of celebrated. They’re hired for their morning perk, not their knowledge of the facts. That’s not to say the other commentators who appear later in the day get a free pass. :search: Most of those "reporters" are certainly intelligent enough to comprehend the facts they are misreporting. [/Rant]

We should all call foul on this misrepresentation of the characters no matter what the network. This has more to do with their segment producers than their politics. I’ve never been impressed with how the Fox program handles their Muppet appearances of any sort. :oops: I’m just surprised that Eric Jacobson was performing Grover after the tongue-in-cheek statement he made about Fox News as Miss Piggy. :mad: I was going to post about whether or not they knew it was the same performer, but from the looks of it, the morning crew really doesn’t do their research! How did it all go besides that? :super:
    Pinkflower7783 likes this.
  4. Bannanasketch Active Member

You're fine, Jamie. The only problem I have is if this discussion turns more into attacking Fox News (which I've seen happen before) and not the topic. I'm not going to attack your viewpoints because I disagree with you. My only issue is if people didn't like this appearance only because it was on Fox. I just wish people would enjoy a Sesame appearance anywhere. :)
  5. Hubert Well-Known Member

Um...the people saying they mixed up Grover and Telly...did they? I watched the appearance and can't recall that, but I can think of one or two lines that were kinda iffy on that...
  6. jvcarroll Well-Known Member

I get ya. It is intriguing due to the Jacobson's Piggy performance earlier this year. I am now sure the morning team was clueless about that. LOL! It's good to see that Sesame's making the rounds on all markets including Fox News even though the Muppets, Sesame Street and PBS have all been targets of the network. I find most morning news crews from all networks to be heavier on tabloid journalism than anything resembling actual news. ;)
  7. jvcarroll Well-Known Member

This bit of recent news outlining some disturbing yellow journalism on Fox & Friends just came to my attention. I bring this up because I would not want any of Jim Henson's beloved creations appearing adjacent to such unethical content on any network. It's a good thing that this occurred yesterday and not this morning...

Fox News video sharply critical of Obama
    Associated Press By DAVID BAUDER | Associated Press – 5/30/2012

NEW YORK (AP) — Fox News Channel's morning show on Wednesday twice aired a nearly four-minute video that contrasted President Barack Obama's words with negative statistics about his administration in a format that looked similar to a campaign advertisement.

The liberal media watchdog Media Matters for America called the video "essentially a four-minute anti-Obama attack ad." The segment also received criticism from a conservative blogger.

It was shown on "Fox & Friends" and credited to a Fox producer. The segment contains ominous music and some grainy footage of the president, along with some stock images from campaign ads: an American flag fluttering in the breeze, a child running in a baseball game, a bald eagle.

The segment mixes Obama's words with a litany of statistics, contrasting the national debt, the jobless rate and the number of Americans on food stamps "then" and "now," although the time frame isn't clearly explained.

A part about rising gasoline prices illustrates the current price per gallon by showing a cartoon car overheating with a puff of steam, with what resembles an Obama campaign graphic on its side. It shows statistics on reduced family savings with a graphic of a piggy bank tumbling down stairs.

Besides Obama's words, verbal images flash by — clips of newscasters saying phrases like "more Americans are out of work," ''inflation fears rising" and "fear we'll see the long gas lines of the '70s."

The video ends with Obama's own words, as he says, "that's the power of hope. That's the change we seek. That's the change we can stand for."

When it ended, "Fox & Friends" anchor Steve Doocy praised the producer for a "job well done."

"It looked like a very slickly-produced Republican ad," said Jessica Levin, spokeswoman for Media Matters.

Ed Morrissey of the conservative media blog Hot Air questioned the video even though he wrote, "I don't disagree with much, if anything" that it says.

"If anyone wanted to look for evidence that the overall Fox News organization intends to campaign against Obama rather than cover the campaign, this video would be difficult to refute as evidence for that claim," Morrissey wrote.

A Fox News spokeswoman did not immediately return calls for comment.

The video was posted on the "Fox & Friends" website Wednesday with the headline "Four years of hope and change."

Of course I intend none of this to pick a fight. I just don't want to see Grover and the Sesame gang associated with political advertisements.
  8. Hayley B Active Member

It was during one of their going to commercial breaks and just telling us that they were going to appear on their show. The guy that was going to talk to them was kind of play strangling Telly. The anchor woman was calling Telly, Grover. It wasn't during the interview though.
  9. Katzi428 Well-Known Member

Painful...just..painful....
    OK...I applaud what Sesame Street is doing for the military families. But the interview itself? Ouch! (I had to look up the interview on Faux and Fiends <--spelling left out of "Friends" intended)
    jvcarroll likes this.
  10. Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

I think we can all pretty much agree on "yes it was nice seeing Grover and Telly" however the rest of it "EPIC FAIL!" :boo:
  11. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'm going to tackle these both at once...

I give SW the biggest credit I can for having Telly and Grover appear on a network that on any other given day of the week would say they're brainwashing kids to be gay treehugging communists. That makes SW look like the bigger man. But on the other hand, I agree. I don't want to see Jim Henson to any extent related so the most derisive, bullying, hateful yellow journalism in the free world. If Dinosaurs was still on the air, you know there would be a Weesayso News channel headed up by B.P. Richfield. Heck, I actually lost respect for Henson for Puppet Up being on Trump's Apprentice show. It has nothing to do with his braindead birther crap... such nasty, disgusting forms of deviousness come out of reality TV... I hated that they were associated with the Bachellorette too. At least we can blame Disney and product integration for that.

Still, the fact they didn't even bother to fact check character names and even the show does NOTHING but prove how they deliberately go out of their way to avoid facts unless they can agree with their findings. Not to mention the fact that they clearly didn't want them to be there.
    jvcarroll and Pinkflower7783 like this.
  12. Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

Yeah because when I think Sesame Street, Mahna, Mahna, and The Muppet Show theme immedately come to mind. :o I knew there was a reason I made sure I wasn't up this morning when they were on now I know why.
  13. Hubert Well-Known Member

Ah. I see. I didn't catch that, but I'm not one bit surprised.

Yeah. I like the idea of Grover and Telly appearing on something and not just Elmo or Cookie Monster. I'd like to see more of them maybe show up around somehow instead of the main ones.

The interview itself, was it just me, or did it seem pretty pointless? Like, it doesn't really seem like they had much time or really said anything of much importance. Something I liked and I give great credit to Marty Robinson for this, that when they asked Telly and Grover if they liked kids, Telly responded something to the effect of, were on Sesame Street, how can we not like kids. The thing I liked about that was that I believe Jim had Kermit on some appearance one time and Kermit was asked that same question and Kermit gave that same answer.
    Pinkflower7783 likes this.
  14. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'm glad Telly's getting his due. Telly is a great character, he's on at least 1/3 of a season, and no one seems to notice the character. I treasure the Sesame Street pal figure of Telly I have. SW needs to give him some more outside exposure. There's only so much Elmo and Abby the outside world can take.
  15. Oscarfan Well-Known Member

If the discussion is about a FOX appearance, the network itself is bound to come up in the conversation. That's what a discussion is. There's no strict guideline for what we should talk about. If the conversation starts to go one way, it does.
    Drtooth likes this.
  16. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Quoted for truth.

Seriously, if someone doesn't like the conversation or where it's headed, then said person is free to leave said conversation. That's also what a conversation is.
  17. jvcarroll Well-Known Member

Oh, there's BIG difference between partisan headlining shows and news programs. Here's the skinny:

Fox & Friends is a morning news magazine program that brings viewers the news, weather and entertainment of the day. They are not permitted to show one side of a partisan argument without giving equal time to the other.

The O'Reilly Factor, Hannity, Chris Matthews, Joe Scarborough etc are considered headlining shows with known partisan commentators. It is made clear for legal reasons that their thoughts and commentary are not considered that of their network. Of course they are gonna bash whatever candidate goes against their politics much more than the one from their party. Still, none are supposed to create, produce and air campaign ads for candidates. From what I read that's not what Chris Matthews did. He compiled a short series of Romney outtakes and aired them before he was the designated Republican nominee. I won't defend it, but that is legal and it's something that all headlining shows from all partisans air everyday.

What Fox & Friends did yesterday is different. They could seriously be fined by the FCC. This wasn't just a blooper reel. They produced a 4 minute long piece of anti-Obama propaganda. They used moody music and filtered footage to make it look grainy and sinister. They aired it twice on during their NEWS programming portion and only discussed Obama's record without allowing his campaign the equal opportunity for rebuttal. They used Fox News funds to pay for an ad. It might seem like splitting hairs to you, but that is illegal. It's not like they're paying for a slick 4 minute spot vilifying Romney's record with lighting, mood music and dynamic text.

There's really no sense debating it further if you don't grasp the discrepancy from what I outlined. This is not a matter of partisanship or my opinion. It's fact. They'll likely get away with it. I think Fox gets a free pass because they're so clumsy with the rules that people are entertained and because of that everybody gets to enjoy the wealth. That's the ugly truth. If that ever stopped being the case then Fox News would end as a legitimate news network and the other networks would have to clean house too!
    Drtooth likes this.
  18. Drtooth Well-Known Member

TCCH! What did I just tell you, dude? :D
  19. jvcarroll Well-Known Member

Well, in all honesty it is confusing in an age with so much infotainment invading the airwaves of cable news channels. I'd say that 80% of MSNBC and FOX NEWS programing is technically entertainment programing masquerading as news shows. I wonder if both networks will eventually just surrender their press credentials and do what they want without facing legal adherence to the rules. Mark my words, some organization will eventually do that and more news-like shows will be produced like the syndicated CBN.
  20. Bannanasketch Active Member

I don't think we're getting anywhere with this so I'm just gonna stop now. But, personally, I don't see that segment as a campaign ad as it wasn't directly advocating for a certain candidate. So, I don't know. I just disagree with you. I guess this discussion is over.

And somebody please tell Drtooth that I can still read his posts even though he can't read mine. He's just getting annoying with his attitude towards me.