Annoying Characters

Hayley B

Reaction score
On the subject of Bean Bunny... I have a problem with Baby Bean in Muppet Babies. The writers clearly didn't like working with him. other than like one good episode, he just came off a depressed version of the character... one who's constantly asserting his cuteness and always happy.
I remember seeing one episode. But that was back when Muppet Babies was still on the air and I don't think I was really watching during time. But I remember thinking Bean is so out of place.

I just watched an episode of him last night from Muppet Babies. "Whose Tale is it, Anyway". I had to see the one with Janice in it. But going by that episode alone. It seem like Muppet Babies turned into the Baby Bean Bunny show alot in that episode.

floyd<3janice

Reaction score
ELMO my little brother loves him.
im glad that he likes the muppets in a way but whhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyy does he have to like Elmo his voice has always creeped me out.
Bean bunny seemed useless to me but maybe thats because he's my sister's favourite. but i just don't like him

Misskermie

Reaction score
SNUFFY!!! I -hate- Snuffy!
YOU ARE NOT HUMAN!!!!

Oh, and I found a few that annoy me.

• Elmo
  • Spamela
  • Red Fraggle (But, somehow, I still love her...)
  • Big Bird (I think it's the voice.)

JJandJanice

Reaction score
What? Big Bird annoys you, even though you just got on bandit for not liking Snuffy? :confused:

Personally I have a love for all Muppet characters, I've even grown to have quite the love for Clifford, though he was overused in Muppets Tonight. But as already mention, Andy and Randy Pig are without a doubt the "Jar Jar Blinks" of the Muppets. I've said that before here and I'll say it again.

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
The "speech impediment" is exactly why Baby Bear (Beaw, I should say), annoys me so much. I've always found Zoe annoying, too (particularly her laugh). I was 5 or 6 when SS turned "Around the Corner" and there were few (Muppet) characters from that era that I ended up embracing.

Plaid Fraggle

Reaction score
B, I hear you. His voice always irked me, I think because it's a voice meant to sound way too young/not very bright. Which, maybe he is both of those things, but it still grated. However, I got over it at some point. By the time I saw The Gorg Who Would Be King I realized I loved everybody and everything on that show, including Junior. Similarly, I didn't like the Trash Heap at all in the 1st season. But she was always worth having around, if only for Philo and Gunge.
I completely agree with you on the Gorgs and Trash Heap bit--they had to grow on me. But Philo and Gunge did, too! Though I've found Fraggle Rock to have the highest percentage of likeable characters of all the big JH thingies; I like 'em all.

My personal dislikes include Rizzo--I don't think anyone's mentioned him yet :shifty: I actually have to distance other Steve Whitmire characters who sound all too similar for me (Wembley, Bean) FROM Rizzo in order to like them. Which is sad because I'm fond of Wembley!

Others that I think are dumb have been torn apart pretty well already :halo:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The "speech impediment" is exactly why Baby Bear (Beaw, I should say), annoys me so much. I've always found Zoe annoying, too (particularly her laugh). I was 5 or 6 when SS turned "Around the Corner" and there were few (Muppet) characters from that era that I ended up embracing.
Baby Bear is strange. There's something about him that could have been a Richard character. But a small, bit character or something. He basically became a regular because I think David Rudman needed to get his own regular character on the show.

But the Sesame Street character (and those who known me on this site know this, but I haven't said it in some time for the newer members)... I just can't stand Elizabeth and Little Murray Sparkles. Well, not the cat. The cat's alright. It's Elizabeth that bugs me. Among other things, it's a less funny version of Humphrey and Ingrid's schtick about Natasha being amazing. Now, something tells me that the inspiration for Humphrey and Ingrid was some parent being annoyed or finding humor in a situation of first time parents being overly amazed that their babies doing things babies do anyway... and that's why they're funny characters. We've all seen that and wanted to laugh, but were to polite.

Elizabeth is basically two things. A precocious kid (Prairie Dawn) that's obsessed with something unremarkable that something usually does does (Like I said, Humphrey and Ingrid). And here obsession isn't even extreme enough to be funny, like in an Elmyra Duff way. That would have been funny. Instead, it's just boring filler that sucks up time for funny or likable characters.

bandit

Reaction score
I have to admit that Big Bird is not at the top of my list either. Apparently I adored him as a kid. One of my first words was 'MEEMO' which is apparently BIG BIRD in a baby's attempt at english. In any case, now that I'm older he grates on my nerves. Then again, he is designed to appeal to kids.

That's what I always loved about Fraggle Rock...They never talked down to kids in that show. I think that's one of the reasons JR stuck out like a sore thumb to be because he was such a box of rocks for brains. But I have to say that even when he's stupid, the writing is still somewhat smart so it's still more tolerable to me than Snuffy or Bigbird or Telly.
Snuffy is just so droopy. EVERYTHING about him droops and his lines are delivered so laboriously. Give the guy some albuterol, will ya?!

Drtooth

Reaction score
The thing about Junior is that he seems like an idiot, but in time he becomes quite smarter than his father. That's somewhere in the last season, and I've only heard about it (didn't get that set yet)... I wonder if that's a TV trope. A dumb character that becomes competent and heroic by the series end... there has to be one, but I don't know what it's called.