Rumor: New Sesame Street Movie in the Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
well I don't want to see some of the Muppets that we have not seen in forever like in the Muppets I just want some of the classic SST like Big bird and Grover to get a good story line and not have to push a educational agenda.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Somehow, I can't see us getting the "ensemble" piece that we're wanting, they'll probably have to have either Elmo or Abby carry the helm while the others ride of their coat-tails.

Some people have been saying they'd like to see an Ernie and Bert movie... I can't see that happening... I love Ernie and Bert as much as the next person, but they've kind of fallen in popularity in recent years (even Tina Fey thinks so), so I doubt a movie with the two of them in focus would be too successful with kids. Remember, the pre-schoolers of today are going to be their target audience, not us.

EDIT: And now that I figured out what Drtooth was talking about, no, Letters to Santa was definitely not a movie, we knew that, it was clearly a special, but CE and AIW on the other hand, yes, they were treated as movies. Does create a lot of confusion, doesn't it?

SSLFan

Reaction score
Being realisitic, the central character(s) would HAVE to be either Elmo and/or Abby. They're obviously the show's most popular characters, and im sure they'd take that into consideration when framing the story. A somewhat Grover-centric movie would work (like a Grover-Elmo dynamic (just being real here)), since it seems the writers have a ball writing for Grover, especially in recent years.

Sadly, as Snowth mentioned, I noticed to Ernie & Bert's "decline" in popularity in recent seasons, so a movie centering around them would probably not sell as much. And personally, I always saw E&B (along with Cookie) as strong supporting characters, not headliners for say, a whole film. Now a Big Bird centric film is kind of a 50/50 thing. Kids still know and love him, but I wonder in this day and age if he'd be marketable to star/carry another film as opposed to say, cash cows Elmo & Abby.

And we all know Joey has a weakness for writing for Big Bird, so I doubt that'd happen.:rolleyes:

Aside from that, I have faith that Joey will deliver something that all Sesame fans can enjoy...that's if the studio and SW itself doesn't screw it up first.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Some people have been saying they'd like to see an Ernie and Bert movie... I can't see that happening... I love Ernie and Bert as much as the next person, but they've kind of fallen in popularity in recent years (even Tina Fey thinks so), so I doubt a movie with the two of them in focus would be too successful with kids. Remember, the pre-schoolers of today are going to be their target audience, not us.
If this were a German film, it would indeed star Ernie and Bert. They REALLY love those guys over there.

Hubert

Reaction score
If this were a German film, it would indeed star Ernie and Bert. They REALLY love those guys over there.
OK then...let's all learn German real quick and maybe they'll make it a German film...

Drtooth

Reaction score
The reality is that this movie will no doubt have some focus on Elmo and Abby. If they're smart, they'll realize the mistakes made with EIG basically being a Toy commercial for Elmo stuff.

Elmo's a great character when he's paired up with the right characters. Zoe can get a rise out of Elmo by annoying him with Rocko, but deep down, they're close friends. Grover is the clumsy, Inspector Clouseau type that tries to give Elmo his years of inexperience (a concept not used as much as it should). Oscar's the grouchy grandfather... Telly's the more pessimistic, easily frustrated big brother... even Big Bird has a nice play with Elmo.

Abby doesn't.

Now, I've often said Abby has the potential to be a great character, but they somehow never tap it. She works well when paired with characters that are prone to frustrated breakdowns or any sort of exasperation... the adults, Telly, Baby Bear... she works similar to Mumford, but has the innocence of a child making mistakes (which she either shrugs off, gets frustrated with, or even depressingly doubts herself). The character was introduced as extremely shy, and I'm glad she came out of her shell, but now she has no shell... and there was personality in there. Even in her own segment, she's little miss perfect and rarely instigates trouble (leaving it too often to Blogg and Gonnigan).

But when you put her with Elmo... there's something wrong with the chemistry. It's like the writers try too hard to stay away from having Elmo get upset at Abby, so it's all the time smiles. I swear that somehow, someone's stifling the writers from doing so.And it's just so inorganic and forced when they're together. They're treated as mascots for the show, and when they're together, it's like Mickey Mouse and Winnie the Pooh.

A movie just can't seem too interesting if there isn't some tension between the two characters at some point.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It more than likely is the writers, because otherwise, when it comes to improvising, and ad-libbing, the chemistry between Elmo and Abby seems more genuine, like the time they were on Bonnie Hunt's undeservingly short-lived talk show promoting the Green Elmo DVD thing, and she accidentally turned him green on live TV, to which she quickly turns her head and exclaims, "I can't look at him, he's too hideous!", while Elmo just stands there with his jaw dropped like he got told.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can't even blame the writers... it seems that some hire up wants character purity of Elmo and Abby being overly perfect with one and other... even though when paired with others, they get a more comic reaction.

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
My suggestion: Have Sesame take place in the real world of New York, like the Murray/Ovejita segments. Have Spike Jonze direct:smile:
Yes, definitely something short in NYC. Sesame Street would just look so much cooler there. And they already have scenes in the real world on the show already, so kids would be somewhat familiar with the sets (I honestly thought shooting Elmo in Grouchland in Toronto or wherever was kinda weird. It didn't look too much like Sesame Street to me.)

Also, I agree with what these guys are saying about Abby. I mean, I love her, I've got the doll and Ms. Carerra rocks, but there's just something not right about Elmo and Abby being best friends. It almost feels forced by the company. Or maybe I'm just mad about Abby breaking Elmo and Zoe's best-friendship. :laugh:

Hubert

Reaction score
That does sound like a pretty interesting idea, to have them in NYC. I wonder what the storyline would be to get them there, but it would be nice to have that, the way the Muppet movies never took place in the TMS setting...which I guess FTB kinda did do that, but still...it would be interesting to see the gang in NYC...

Status
Not open for further replies.