The Muppets Go To The Movies

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Gummo was the fifth Marx Brother who dropped out of the group and no one had heard of, hehe.
Cool :smile: Wasn't there six? I know that Groucho, Cheeco, Harpo, where the main three and Zeppo was only in the WB Marx films and dropped out when they did the Universal ones. They had a huge family there. lol I love the Marx Bros. lol So cool The Muppets referenced him.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
I just watched the special today on my ipod when eating lunch and most of the day just imitating Link as Gummo. lol "No, your the stupid one." lol Link was go great in that special. lol Rowlf playing music to the silent arabic film featuring Kermit and his surprised maden. "HOW CROSS BUNNIES, I JUST GOT IT LOL"

I know that there's a lot of debate on classic Muppets vs the current Muppets but this special, NOW THAT'S THE MUPPETS TO ME! That's My Kind of Muppets.

The broadway rock music
Bad puns
Dysfunctional characters
Irreverent humor and slapstick
the Wild, Zanny and weird energy
It just brings it all back to me. lol

By the way, was Gummo a reference or inside joke or was it just this silly surreal name they kept using. Link is called Gummo, Sam narrates Silent Strawberries written by Gummo Burbman. And in the credits.....hang on let me check my ipod here. (I figure it would be funny to actually type that. lol) Written by Jerry Juhl, Chris Langham, Jim Henson and GUMMO. lol

Wow, there's just so many good things I can say about this special, the gags and everything. "I think Hot Crossed Bunnies were too hip for them" and how Kermit told Miss Piggy that the Penguins make her look good in the Heatwave number. lol

But yeah, I think the special is on a dutch DVD release. I'm not sure if there's an original audio track. I'd even just love to buy a copy just to remaster it for myself.

Like I said, to me this was like the final bow and curtain to The Muppet Show. The theater was there, the original zanny humor was there, almost everyone who worked on the series was there, etc.

Personally I would like to see this on the Season 5 DVD on an extras disk with Muppets & Men as well as the rare wrap tapes that have been floating around youtube lately.

And maybe Season 4 could have blooper reels if any still exist. The Channel promos, TV appearances, Even the full Johnny Carson Tonight Show where Kermit hosts could be on an extras disk (unless the Johnny Carson company already released it somehow, I heard they are releasing full episodes to DVD)
I can't see them putting two "specials" on one set.

When you think about, aside from the more obscure bits and pieces (like the old commercials/promos, the pitch reel, the Weezer music video, etc.), each of the first three season sets included only one classic Muppet special as a bonus feature--Season 1 had the "Sex & Violence" pilot, Season 2 had the "Valentine Show" pilot (even though the Valentine Show was produced before Sex & Violence) and Season 3 had "The Muppets on Puppets".

So, I still predict that we might get Muppets Go to the Movies on Season 4 and Of Muppets & Men on Season 5. I remember hearing from somewhere a few years back that Of Muppets & Men was being reserved for Season 5. Another reason I can see Go to the Movies being placed on Season 4 is because Dudley Moore (who guest-starred on the regular series in Season 4) appears in it.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Cool :smile: Wasn't there six? I know that Groucho, Cheeco, Harpo, where the main three and Zeppo was only in the WB Marx films and dropped out when they did the Universal ones. They had a huge family there. lol I love the Marx Bros. lol So cool The Muppets referenced him.
Zeppo replaced Gummo in the vaudeville act around the time America got involved in WWI. Gummo had been the straight man in the act, and because this role wasn't conisdered all that important, and the brothers' mother wanted at least one of her boys in the army, it made since to her to get rid of Gummo. She brought Zeppo in, and Zeppo stayed with the brothers when they went to Broadway. Zeppo didn't like performing, and was sadly usually given very little to do in the act.

Then the Brothers started doing movies in 1929. Their first five movies (the ones with Zeppo) were actually made at Paramount (not WB). The next handful of movies (without Zeppo) were made at MGM (not Universal). In additon, one was made at RKO, and a few were distributed by UA.

One thing that should also be mentioned is that while Chico's name looks like it's pronounced ''Cheeco'', it's actually pronounced "Chicko". Chico got his nickname because he liked to chase girls (or "chickens").

And yes, there was a sixth Marx Brother. Actually, he was the first. His name was Manfred. But he sadly passed away while he was just an infant.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I can't see them putting two "specials" on one set.

When you think about, aside from the more obscure bits and pieces (like the old commercials/promos, the pitch reel, the Weezer music video, etc.), each of the first three season sets included only one classic Muppet special as a bonus feature--Season 1 had the "Sex & Violence" pilot, Season 2 had the "Valentine Show" pilot (even though the Valentine Show was produced before Sex & Violence) and Season 3 had "The Muppets on Puppets".
So, I still predict that we might get Muppets Go to the Movies on Season 4 and Of Muppets & Men on Season 5. I remember hearing from somewhere a few years back that Of Muppets & Men was being reserved for Season 5. Another reason I can see Go to the Movies being placed on Season 4 is because Dudley Moore (who guest-starred on the regular series in Season 4) appears in it.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think OM&M being released on the season 5 DVD was just a 'wish', rather than a statement.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Zeppo replaced Gummo in the vaudeville act around the time America got involved in WWI. Gummo had been the straight man in the act, and because this role wasn't conisdered all that important, and the brothers' mother wanted at least one of her boys in the army, it made since to her to get rid of Gummo. She brought Zeppo in, and Zeppo stayed with the brothers when they went to Broadway. Zeppo didn't like performing, and was sadly usually given very little to do in the act.

Then the Brothers started doing movies in 1929. Their first five movies (the ones with Zeppo) were actually made at Paramount (not WB). The next handful of movies (without Zeppo) were made at MGM (not Universal). In additon, one was made at RKO, and a few were distributed by UA.

One thing that should also be mentioned is that while Chico's name looks like it's pronounced ''Cheeco'', it's actually pronounced "Chicko". Chico got his nickname because he liked to chase girls (or "chickens").

And yes, there was a sixth Marx Brother. Actually, he was the first. His name was Manfred. But he sadly passed away while he was just an infant.
Cool, thanks for the info on The Marx Brothers. So Chico is named that for chasing girls and Harpo is called that because he plays the harp. But how did Groucho get his name. He seems for of a trickster than Grouchy. lol

I probably got confussed with WB and Universal because I own the two big box sets of their movies, the studios much have gotten special permission to get them.

I just love classic comedy. And I've always felt somehow The Muppets kind of falls into that genre. :smile:

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the info on The Marx Brothers. So Chico is named that for chasing girls and Harpo is called that because he plays the harp. But how did Groucho get his name. He seems for of a trickster than Grouchy. lol

I probably got confussed with WB and Universal because I own the two big box sets of their movies, the studios much have gotten special permission to get them.

I just love classic comedy. And I've always felt somehow The Muppets kind of falls into that genre. :smile:
Nobody seems to know the official reason behind Groucho's name (or Zeppo's name for that matter). Some people think it may have actually had to do with Groucho's rather grouchy personality (if you ever find a copy of "The Marx Brothers Scrapbook", you'll see that he could be a real grouch). Others say he got the nickname because he used to carry around a grouch bag (which was some kind of a man-purse). Groucho himself once said he was named after a comic strip character.

Yeah, it's easy to get the studios mixed up when different companies wind up with films.

And I think the Marxs (and loads of other comics from that period) had an influence on the Muppets' style. Marx Brothers references were sometimes used on TMS (Kermit recreating the mirror sequence from "Duck Soup" in an early episode, George Burns making a joke about Gonzo being one of the Brothers, the Muppet Newsman asking Rich Little if working with the Muppets is like being in a Marx film, etc.). In fact, one of Jim Henson's favorite movies was the Marx's film "At the Circus". That's the movie that "Lydia the Tatooed Lady" made its debut. In fact, the version heard in "At the Circus" has a few lines not heard in the Muppet version.

And of course, there's the famous "Groucho Marx glasses" that the Muppets (especially Fozzie) frequently use.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
(if you ever find a copy of "The Marx Brothers Scrapbook", you'll see that he could be a real grouch).
Yellow cover? Charactured drawings of the Marxs on the front? I think I own it. Lots of cool rare photos.

I remember Lidia the Tattooed lady, or in the Muppets cause the tattooed pig. Was Piggy jellious. "No I haven't (meet her), have you meet my left fist?" POW! Poor Kermit. lol

I remember that episode with Scooter buying the robotic Kermit, never compaired that with the Famous Marx brothers gag. lol

Speaking of which, aren't The Honkers from Sesame Street based on Harpo?

By the way, there's something I noticed about The Muppets Go To The Movies. On the Gone with The Wind parody where the houses are on fire and it's Dudley with Miss Piggy. When the firemen are spraying the hoses everywhere, after Piggy's first remark, a Muppeteer or someone on the set is heard laughing breifly. Anyone caught that? lol

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Yellow cover? Charactured drawings of the Marxs on the front? I think I own it. Lots of cool rare photos.
Don't know. I own a really old copy (probably the first print). Is the book filled with nothing but photos and actual interviews (transcript form), rather than a standard photos with 'story' format?

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Don't know. I own a really old copy (probably the first print). Is the book filled with nothing but photos and actual interviews (transcript form), rather than a standard photos with 'story' format?
I know that there's a lot of rare family photos and Groucho co-written the book.