The Official Top 10 Anything...

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------
Wow...I have very little in common with you guys besides Muppets. Ha...to each their own, I suppose. :smile:

-------------

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Top 10 Retro Commercials (in no particular order):

1. Cotton - The Fabric of Our Lives
2. Stetson - Easy for You
3. The Milford Plaza - The Lullabye of Broadway
4. Pepsi - Cindy Crawford and "Just One Look"
5. CBS Celebrates New York (and New Jersey)
6. Cheerios Christmas Carol (the original!)
7. Hallmark - Halloween's Coming
8. E.T. Video Game
9. Partnership for a Drug Free America - The Long Way Home
10. Martini & Rossi - The World Trade Center

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Top ten retro commercials:
10. M&Ms - Christmas "he does exist!"
9. Taco Bell - "Here lizard lizard lizard!"
8. Pepsi - Alien re-enacts Star Wars Episode I with special cans
7. M&Ms - puppets promote a million-dollar contest
6. Nintendo 64 - "Jingle bells, Santa smells..."
5. Dr. Mario - "Witch Doctor"
4. Sega - Genesis or Game Gear and Lion King combo ("Mega pegasis for reindeer?")
3. M&Ms - Christmas "grab on to that M&Ms feeling"
2. Pepsi - boy gets himself sucked into a bottle ("Mom, he did it again!")
1. Game Boy Pocket - teenagers vs. old people at a mall

minor muppetz

Reaction score
"You're old people..." Lol
I used to think the line was "Ewww! Old people!" I think my friends (well, my classmates) even quoted it that way. But then I found the clip on YouTube, and the girl just says "Old people", in a disgusted manner.

Though I found this tribute to that commercial which uses the "Ewww! Old people" line:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vrPuZqvdao

I even made my own parody/homage to this great commercial:

But I guess nothing beats the original commercial:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I already did the top ten retro commercials, but how about the top ten best Nick at Nite and/or TV Land promos?

10. "Bad TV! Bad TV! Bad TV!" (in regards to not getting TV Land)
9. The Dick van Dyke Show theme with lyrics
8. "Times change. Great tv doesn't": Uncle Bill from Family Affair announces that he's getting a nose ring
7. Why the Beaver from Leave it to Beaver doesn't learn his lesson
6. "A TV show Bob Newhart never made": Mr. Bob, with Newhart as the voice of a talking gerbil
5. "A TV Show Bob Newhart never made": The Six Million Dollar Bob
4. The Brady Bunch - "Alice will kill you"
3. "Times change. Great TV doesn't": Joe Friday from Dragnet raps
2. The Brady Bunch: Carol Brady never ONCE said "don't play ball in the house"
1. Happy Days: Chuck Cunningham commercial

And the top ten Cartoon Network promos:
10. Sidekicks talk about why they are needed (while Chicken of Cow and Chicken denys that he's a sidekick)
9. Boo-Boo Baba Dee-Dee
8. Go ask Cartoon Network
7. A viewer asks Cartoon Network to change the "Cartoon Network Thing-to-Do" so that they'll inform kids that it's just a joke
6. A viewer writes to ask for a picture of Jim Carrey
5. Cartoon Network responds to a fan who only watches Smurfs and Snorks to tell him of a new show called "SmurfSnorks"
4. How to Draw Bullwinkle
3. The Animaniacs appear at the end of The Jetsons opening
2. Fred Flintstone, Chicken, and somebody else struggle to find a parking spot
1. Yogi Bear forgets to bring his work I.D. and the desk guards don't recognize him

By the way, entries 7, 6, and 5 were all part of a series of promos where viewers supposedly wrote to Cartoon Network. Anybody remember what those were called? I'm pretty sure it wasn't "Go Ask Cartoon Network" which I listed at number 8 (that's one where various cartoon characters are asked questions, like why Wile E. Coyote keeps shopping from ACME, how come Daffy, Sylvester, and Elmer never get hurt, and what Sylvester would do if he caught Tweety).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Top ten best Nick at Nite marathons (though keep in mind I rarely recorded Nick at Nite programming during their marathons, and I have only been able to find a handful of marathon bumpers on YouTube, so most of these marathons I haven't seen since the weeks they were on, though Nick at Nite did have a marathon back in late 1999 repeating many marathons of the past, can't remember if it was a full week with a different marathon each day or if it was multiple weeks):
10. Totally '80s Marathon (2001)
9. Laverne and Shirley marathon hosted by Lenny and Squiggy (1998)
8. The Brady Bunch marathon with the cast discussing Phoebe, "the lost Brady" (1998)
7. Bob's Bob Bob Newhart Newhart Marathon (1997)
6. First episodes marathon (1998)
5. Nick at Nite's 10-year anniversary marathon (1995)
4. The Odd Couple on Ice (1997)
3. Happy Days - Chachinated or De-Chachinated (1997)
2. TV Land sneak-peek/first day marathon (1996)
1. Greatest TV Episodes Marathon (25 out of 100 TV episodes chosen by Nick at Nite and TV Guide as the best) (1997)

I want to give special mention to the 1998 Classic TV Countdown, since that's the only one that I really remember any details on (Casey Kasem hosts from an attic, and clips from past countdown bumpers were shown), and I sort of want to acknowledge the "Au Revoir Mister Ed" marathon from 1993, but then again, that marathon's purpose was to acknowledge that Mister Ed was leaving the channel.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
6. First episodes marathon (1998)
Yeah, I remember back when TV Land used to be good, they had a tradition where every New Year's Eve, they would have a marathon of the finales of a lot of series, and then on New Year's Day, they would air all the pilot episodes of their shows.

And then there used to be their "Merrythons" where every weekend throughout December, they aired Christmas, or otherwise special-themed episodes of classic shows.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yeah, I remember back when TV Land used to be good, they had a tradition where every New Year's Eve, they would have a marathon of the finales of a lot of series, and then on New Year's Day, they would air all the pilot episodes of their shows.
The marathon I am referring to was a one-night marathon on Nick at Nite during spring break of 1998. I finally got to see all the first episodes (of shows that were on the channel at the time) I hadn't seen. A few weeks later this was followed by an entire week-long marathon of last episodes (many of which were two-part episodes so they couldn't fit them all in one night), which I didn't get to see all of because of school nights. TV Land started doing annual first and last episode marathons a few years later, and for some reason I didn't pay much attention to these (though I know that the first episode marathons made it the only time you could see a black and white Petticoat Junction episode on the channel).

D'Snowth said:
And then there used to be their "Merrythons" where every weekend throughout December, they aired Christmas, or otherwise special-themed episodes of classic shows.
I don't remember month-long Christmas marathons, though Nick at Nite had week-long Christmas marathons.

Of course there were also regular marathon blocks, like "Block Party Summer" and on sundays in 1998 marathons of 2-part episodes (I think there were occasions when these marathons showed two three-part episodes instead of three two-part episodes).