Lying Muppets

Hubert

Reaction score
I was recently reading this article, which is a very interesting article, by the way, but something left me raising my eyebrows:

The Henson crew gave Segel a list of rules, which he refers to as “The Muppet Ten Commandments.” For example, Muppets don’t self identify as puppets. Kermit is a frog and Miss Piggy is a pig, so lose the felt jokes. Another rule is Muppets never lie. That forced Segel to cut out a subplot where Kermit posed as an oil baron.
So a rule is apparently that Muppets never lie, forcing Segel to cut out a subplot where Kermit posed as an oil baron. Which is fine and dandy, until we remember that Kermit posed as a movie producer in The Muppets Take Manhattan. So where does that leave this commandment?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
So a rule is apparently that Muppets never lie, forcing Segel to cut out a subplot where Kermit posed as an oil baron. Which is fine and dandy, until we remember that Kermit posed as a movie producer in The Muppets Take Manhattan. So where does that leave this commandment?
Yeah this is a good example of two things:

1. The Muppets have no canon, no matter how much we may want them to, lol.
2. Even the creators can get it wrong sometimes. :wink: The most extreme examples of this were George Lucas and Gene Roddenberry. I'm not comparing the Henson crew to them, but it's the same sort of issue.

Hubert

Reaction score
Though I do agree with you, this technically doesn't have much to do with canon.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Though I do agree with you, this technically doesn't have much to do with canon.
Well I just mean the idea that you could even have such a strict set of rules when it comes to the Muppets.

Misskermie

Reaction score
Moss Piggy has lied.
More than 100 times.
Take out of the commandments, or kick piggy out.

Animal31

Reaction score
This could have been rules Disney put in place after the merger, I do not believe they had any involvement (or control) in the earlier movies, did they?

Hubert

Reaction score
This could have been rules Disney put in place after the merger, I do not believe they had any involvement (or control) in the earlier movies, did they?
They didn't, however I was under the impression that Disney was passing off these as rules from since the 70s or so.

However, even if Disney did put some rules in place afterwords, shouldn't they have done some research to make sure everything held true to the Jim era?

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
Moss Piggy has lied.
More than 100 times.
Take out of the commandments, or kick piggy out.
I was just thinking the same thing, hehe. That's pretty much essentially her character.
Edited cuz apparently my grammar is bad today...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Not to mention when Kermit and Fozzie posed as pizza delivery boys in GMC.