Lying Muppets

Animal31

Reaction score
They didn't, however I was under the impression that Disney was passing off these as rules from since the 70s or so.

However, even if Disney did put some rules in place afterwords, shouldn't they have done some research to make sure everything held true to the Jim era?
Honestly, they own them now, whatever the rules were in the past really wouldn't apply for future projects. Besides, the movies themselves didn't have much of a continuity to begin with, none were really ever tagged as sequels so each one could have it's own set of rules.....

Hubert

Reaction score
Honestly, they own them now, whatever the rules were in the past really wouldn't apply for future projects. Besides, the movies themselves didn't have much of a continuity to begin with, none were really ever tagged as sequels so each one could have it's own set of rules.....
Right, I understand that and know where you're coming from. I think you misinterpreted me...I was actually criticizing Disney, saying that if they did make up the rules, than they should have done their homework...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Honestly, they own them now, whatever the rules were in the past really wouldn't apply for future projects.
Such as decent dramatic devices like deception? :wink:

Again, this is like when Gene Roddenberry went around in later years saying Star Trek characters must be all perfect and non-military, which was complete nonsense and the antithesis of what he had created.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Wait, so the Muppets can't lie but "Muppet Man" doesn't count? And Kermit had been lying about his feelings for years, LOL. :smile:

Why no puppet jokes when they are all over the place? TMS had lots of puppet references, especially on eps where different puppeteers make guest sketches. Also, in interviews there are a lot of not-quite-subtle jokes, such as "Jim really gave me a hand up in the business" and whatnot....

Animal31

Reaction score
Right, I understand that and know where you're coming from. I think you misinterpreted me...I was actually criticizing Disney, saying that if they did make up the rules, than they should have done their homework...
That can be said more times than I can count, for some reason the powers that be always feel the need to fix what isn't broken....Muppets, Star Trek, Godzilla! I almost feel as if they do it so they can feel the idea was truly theirs, like they made up something spectacular and didn't just buy it from the real genius'...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That can be said more times than I can count, for some reason the powers that be always feel the need to fix what isn't broken....Muppets, Star Trek, Godzilla! I almost feel as if they do it so they can feel the idea was truly theirs, like they made up something spectacular and didn't just buy it from the real genius'...
That happens more often then people think. Franchises get passed on to a new team and they think they need to add their own stamp to things when really they just need to leave it alone, lol. Though there are cases, like Star Trek and Star Wars, where it's the creator who seems to have a faulty memory of his creation. Though nowadays we're more aware of the fact that there's rarely just one creator, just one person taking the credit. :wink:

snichols1973

Reaction score
In Muppets from Space, Pepe the King Prawn pretended to be Gonzo's "alien family", encouraging him to build a jacuzzi, which Pepe and Rizzo promptly enjoy, at Gonzo's expense.

As soon as Gonzo meets his distant relatives and eventually decides to stay with his friends, it is at the end when Pepe and Rizzo share a laugh after Gonzo wonders why he was told to build a jacuzzi.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
In Muppets from Space, Pepe the King Prawn pretended to be Gonzo's "alien family", encouraging him to build a jacuzzi, which Pepe and Rizzo promptly enjoy, at Gonzo's expense.
Yeah see even MFS, arguably one of the weaker films, knows the value of deception! :halo:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Maybe they meant that they didn't want to do any mean-spirited lies, I don't know. Regardless, when you start worrying about what is "Muppety" and what isn't "Muppety", the door closes on lots of creative opportunities and avenues.

Hubert

Reaction score
Maybe they meant that they didn't want to do any mean-spirited lies, I don't know. Regardless, when you start worrying about what is "Muppety" and what isn't "Muppety", the door closes on lots of creative opportunities and avenues.
The thing is that I doubt Jason Segel's Kermit thing was mean spirited, as Kermit wouldn't do that. I would imagine that it would take the same avenue he did in TMTM.