Hurricane Sandy Thread

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Now that I can understand. But I agree you can't really be positive about a hurricane. The thing is is no ones twisting their arms to watch the coverage on it.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Oh, see when you said "I'm gonna go with Hubert on this one," it made it sound like you were agreeing with my side rather than D'Snowth's (despite the fact that I didn't have a side). :stick_out_tongue:
Sorry for the confusion. Lol

charlietheowl

Reaction score
And Charlie, I'm actually talking about about the rats and other test subjects escaping, which, I wouldn't really see as a tragedy quite honestly, but whatevs.
Tragedy is a strong word to use, but it's still a lot of valuable work and information lost. Lots of progress was made on these rats in terms of treating seizures, high blood pressure, cancers, heart disease, schizophrenia, all kinds of things. To point that specific part of the storm out to make a larger point about making an issue of every part of that storm is misguided in my opinion.

If you want to point out something trivial about the storm and its effects, talk about all the people who are disappointed that the marathon isn't being run this weekend. I know the route didn't take the race through the flooded areas, but still, it was a dumb idea to think the city would be ready for such a large effort when it's still so early in the recovery.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, I mean they act like it's a tragedy, but considering I'm against animal testing, I wouldn't considering the test subjects escaping to be so.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
That's a whole other issue, and not for this thread, lol. I just wanted to make sure I made my point clearly and wasn't misunderstanding your point.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Yesterday was the first time in a week I got online. Trees still down on my street (many with power lines tangled up in them), don't expect power back until at least Friday- still at least a million people in Northern NJ powerless.
Gas rationing still going on- depending on your license plate number, you can only get gas on even or odd days, and some places only have a 15-gallon limit. (And there might be a hundred cars ahead of you). So many driving over to Pennsylvania just to get basic supplies.
Still too early to assess the total damage along the shore that got hit the hardest.
130 dead so far.
Another storm expected to hit tomorrow and Thursday.
So, you got it tough?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Oh, no. I'm grateful I got my mother's house to go to until I can get back to mine.
I'm grateful for a hot shower after 5 days. I'm grateful for clean clothes. I'm grateful for a hot meal. I'm grateful I can still get gas, even if it takes a while. And we weren't even the worst hit.

I'll tell you what inspired me. I work in a home for 400 elderly people, 50 of them in assisted living. Thursday we lost our generator, so they had to be evacuated to a high school a mile away. They slept on cots for two nights, some of them literally just had the clothes on their backs. We were still able to feed them with two makeshift kitchens we set up. And not one of them complained. Saturday we got our power back and they were
able to come home. They made a huge card for us and signed it, and all they could do was thank us for getting them through a tough ordeal.

Be sure to count your blessings, folks. Hopefully you'll never have to live through a
disaster like this, and if you have, now I can say I walked a mile in your shoes.

I

Hubert

Reaction score
Wow...that's quite a lot to go through, fuzzygobo...I'm really glad you're alright and I just am so sorry about everything that happened there...

charlietheowl

Reaction score
That's great you were able to help so many people during the storm while still dealing with your own issues from it, fuzzygobo. I'm glad things are starting to return to normal for you.