Courage the Cowardly Dog returning?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The only thing that ever actually scared me when I watched this show was the episode "Windmill Vandals," that episode was genuinely unsettling and perhaps the most intensely frightened and darkest episode ever, from the color scheme that was red and hellish, to the vandals themselves looking like viking skeletons on skeleton horses - even the chopping off Courage, Muriel, and Eustace's heads and them swapping them being played for laughs was unnerving.

Other than that, nothing really bothered me.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So that infamous and controversial Mask episode, while I'm well aware of all of the theories out there surrounding this episode and have pretty much accepted them since they all seem to be pretty accurate, what's finally sold me is one piece of dialogue that most people seem to overlook that really seals the deal: when Courage is at the diner, Charlie Mouse says to him, "Bunny's guy, Mad Dog, he didn't like 'em bein' so . . . friendly like. He's one nasty piece of jealousy." That's actually the in-universe indication, for me, that there really was more than just friendship between Kitty and Bunny - quite often in abusive or distrusting relationships, the guy will try to isolate his girlfriend from her social circle out of insecurity, and especially any male friends she has out of jealousy. What other possible reasons could Mad Dog have to be so jealous towards Bunny's friendship with Kitty unless there was more than just friendship going on between them? Especially going so far as threatening Kitty's life and having his goons force her out of her home.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wow, I guess even Stretch Films wasn't immune to interoffice politics and such; I forget the video, but I saw where Courage writer/storyboard artist Mike Wetterhahn commented on a video dissing Dilly, saying that he was very unpleasant to work for and apparently "very scary when off his meds."

Schfifty

Reaction score
he was very unpleasant to work for and apparently "very scary when off his meds."
Wow, that's pretty strange. I have kind of wondered before if John's mind was crazy enough that he might have done medications (although I always thought his craziness was more of a personality trait than a condition), but I never knew he actually was in fact on meds.

I once saw a picture somewhere on the Internet of Dilly at an animation festival (I think either in NYC or California), and I don't know if it was just to be goofy, but he looked really, really stoned. There was even what looked like a little cigar on his mouth. It's a bit disappointing, but I guess some people actually can be pretty crazy, especially in the art medium.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I think its just rumor but, he sound normal in the pan-pizza interview.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I too always assumed his craziness and eccentricities were just personality traits, like Kramer once said, "most geniuses are [eccentric]." But as I said previously - in most of his interviews that I've listened to, he sounds flamboyant, charismatic, and energetic; that Jambireeq interview, on the other hand, he does sound heavily medicated and almost sedated. What he does at festivals or what have you I'm sure is probably for show - I've heard people say that Doug Walker acts like as big an *** at cons and public appearances as he does as Nostalgia Critic, though I take it he does that to stay in character, as it were, otherwise, I've heard he's actually a really nice guy. Same could be said with Dilly: he seems to use this Spaceman Dilly alterego for public appearances.

But you know what? I've never met him, and I don't know him personally, so I can't really judge what kind of person he is, other than the brilliant animator and filmmaker whose had a significant amount of influence on me as an artist growing up.

Schfifty

Reaction score
Yeah, maybe I kind of jumped the gun a little bit. I'm just really surprised to hear a former employee claim how unnerving Dilly is when not on his meds. I mean, I love John's animation and goofy personality, but I just never thought his craziness (or whatever it is) was that extreme, or had sort of a dark side. I've never met him too, but I dunno what else to say. :smirk:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Looking back on a previous post I made, I was wrong in saying Johnny Bravo was the only DVD that got any kind of special features, because I forgot that the first two seasons of EEE - which was released well before the CN Hall of Fame title - have significant special features, such as chats with Danny Antonucci, Scott "Diggs" Underwood drawing characters, music videos and such. . . . even those two compilation DVDs they released before that had a few special features.

But, enough about that, back to the thread: here's yet another new interview with Dilly, discussing the overall production of Courage, speakings briefly about his upcoming new short GOOSE WITH HIGH HEELS, but also once again touching on what it's like to be an independent in an industry where you want to create something but also have to please executives and such as well.
http://hop.media/read/art/an-interview-with-the-creator-of-courage-the-cowardly-dog

Schfifty

Reaction score
Remember that one online game where Courage was dribbling a soccer ball, and you had to move him around a black screen while avoiding flying chairs? Is there a site that has that game, or is it somewhere in the Wayback Machine? I haven't seen or played that game in years.

Actually, on the topic of old online games, I've wondered which companies/teams made those games. I know "Mealtime Maze" was done by the same team who did "Dunk 'n Dine" featuring the Eds, but I'm pretty curious.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I actually don't remember that, and I'm pretty sure I've played every Courage game at least once: I remember the first game was a number-guessing game (it was really lame), I remember Pharoah Phobia, I remember Creep TV (it was great, it should have been a console game), and I remember Nightmare Vacation ((the only Courage game I don't believe I've ever beaten), but I don't remember a game involve Courage dribbling a soccer ball or ducking flying chairs.