The "You know what?" thread

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The episode of THE ODD COUPLE where Felix and Oscar appear on PASSWORD is considered by the many to be the greatest episode of the (70s) series . . . but, I really don't see why it's so great. Then again, I've never seen PASSWORD before, that was well before my time, so I guess I wouldn't be able to appreciate the crossover.
I think it's a good episode. But quite a few shows seem to have episodes that are often included in lists of the greatest episodes of all time that I can't really see why they're the best.

For example, there's the Happy Days episode Richie Fights Back. When I first heard of it, I wanted to see it, mainly because it guest starred a cast member from Taxi. It was included in Nick at Nite/TV Guide's list of the top 100 greatest television episodes (and was among those on the list to appear in Nick at Nite's week-long marathon of episodes they could show), and would later be included in the book TV Land to Go as part of its section on the top 100 greatest sitcom episodes. And I think it was the only episode of Happy Days to be included in either list. I liked it more back then (and I first saw the whole thing during that marathon), but was it really that great? There's a lot more that seem to stand out than that, like The Lemon, The Deadly Dares, My Favorite Orkin, Fonzie Loves Pinky, and others. Of course I think I'd also include the Hollywood three-parter, where Fonzie jumps the shark (I don't really get why people make a big deal out of that). I see places that say that the shark-jumping was a diversion from a boring three-part episode, but I enjoy the plot of Fonzie getting a screen test and then Richie struggling on whether to accept an acting career while Fonzie was passed over, and of course I enjoy all the bikinis. It's also the start of season 5, and I prefer seasons 5-7 over seasons 2-4.

And there's The Lars Afair episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, where Phyllis thinks her husband Lars is having an affair with Sue Ann (or something like that, I can't really remember right now). It was also in both lists I mentioned, but I don't really see what's so great about it, aside from being the debut of Sue Ann (and I don't really see her as that great a character). Of course there are better episodes of the show that have made "greatest episodes" lists.

Of course there's also episodes that get included in such lists that I can see why they'd be included, but also feel a slight "popularity backlash" because they tend to be the only ones listed, like The Last Newhart. The ending makes it one of the best last episodes of all time, but that seems to be the last episode of Newhart on any list of the greatest television episodes, and most documentaries/biographies on Bob Newhart focus on that more than anything else from Newhart (wouldn't it be great if there was a documentary, anniversary special, or coffee table book about the show?). In fact I think the ending is a lot more well-known than the plot of the episode. It is one of the best, but there's also a lot of other really great episodes, like the Desparately Desiring Susan two-parter, A Midseason Night's Dream, Lady and the Tramps, Mrs. Newton's Body Lies A'Moulding in the Grave, Prima Darryl, the telethon episode, and the Halloween party episode.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Even though I'm only 27, I feel like I'm getting older really fast . . . I mean to say, I've been noticing it for the past several months or so, I'm just really slowing down: I often feel fatigued, it takes me longer to do certain things, I just don't have a lot of energy . . . that's not normal for someone my age, is it? Then again, my old doctor told me I was about fifty on the inside, maybe that has something to do with it.

This is usually my perked-up time of year, so my slowing down is even more noticeable now than it was back in summer (when I usually feel wore out and drained from the heat).

Schfifty

Reaction score
Remember the YouTube channel 12Medbe, that had all the hundreds of Whose Line clips and stuff? Well, I just saw a few days ago that his channel got terminated, which is quite a bummer. :frown:

I don't remember exactly, but I think he might have had the most-viewed video of the infamous "Wrong Name in Bed" Irish Drinking Song.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Remember the YouTube channel 12Medbe, that had all the hundreds of Whose Line clips and stuff? Well, I just saw a few days ago that his channel got terminated, which is quite a bummer. :frown:

I don't remember exactly, but I think he might have had the most-viewed video of the infamous "Wrong Name in Bed" Irish Drinking Song.
Of course I remember the channel. That's where I have a lot of his videos saved to my computer from.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I have a few things to say about this commercial for Xfinity (it seems they no longer allow comments. I saw comments before, wanted to comment what I'm about to say there but wasn't logged in and didn't feel like logging in, and just when I was ready to comment I fond that I no longer could...).

A number of people say things like their grandparents have no wifi and no shows. The main granddaighter in here acts as if she won't be able to be online, not even on her phone... But the grandparents were able to see their grandchildren's social media posts on their phones, so the grandchildren should be able to be online during their visits.

And some say there'll be "no shows" just because there's no wifi, netflix, and so on. But wouldn't any of the grandparents haven if there's no cable, satellite, or digital streaming services? They could have an old television set, but I don't think there's many people (regardless of age) who don't have a TV set of some kind.

And when the grandfather uses the remote to pick something, he says "Merry Christmas, you filthy animal!", and Home Alone comes up in search. This is supposed to show that you can find something just by saying a quote... But "Merry Christmas, you filthy animal" was said in Home Alone II, the first Home Alone has "Keep the change, you filthy animal!"

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I hate that normalcy starts at the crack of dawn everyday.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Since we can't start up a new "What Made You Frown Today?" thread until 2017, I'll just have to post this here instead, but what made me frown today was that Amazon deleted their Gary Busey commercial from YouTube. :stick_out_tongue:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In Honey I Blew Up the Kid, the kid keeps growing bigger when near electricity or a certain form of electricity, and Wayen Syzlak decides to bring him back to size by using his original shrinking machine. But then who's to say that the electricity won't cause him to continue to grow?

And I just now thought of something else: If they were able to shrink him back to his normal size using the machine that caused him to grow, would being exposed to electricity cause him to keep shrinking?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In this commercial advertising the Sega Genesis and Game Gear coming with The Lion King game...

....it says that it's easy to be confused by Sega Genesis or Game Gear, which is why The Lion King game was being sold with both systems. Now that's a good point, but what if a kid asked their parents for a Sega Genesis or Game Gear but didn't ask for The Lion King game? What if a kid told its parents that they wanted either as well as a game that did not come with either system, and the parent was just as confused?

And besides, the father kept reminding himself "Sega Genesis or Game Gear" and getting the names wrong, but didn't keep reminding himself of The Lion King game (maybe if there were easy enough ways to get that title wrong).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Obama talking about how he could have beaten Drumph and "mobilized" America if he had a third term? Wow, Mr. President, I thought you had a little more dignity and class than that.