The "You know what?" thread

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Anne Hathaway hardly ever does movies in which she doesn't take her clothes off. Mila Kunis to a lesser extent - she's not quite as blatant about it (or, at least, she seems to keep her clothes on for the most part), but she hasn't exactly done the kinds of roles that paint positive images of women. . . . Then again, she's saying it's because producers have threatened to "make sure she never works in Hollywood again" if she didn't.
Yeah, I see what you mean. And I agree, they do appear in movies that seem to objectify them, but yeah, they don't really seem to have much choice in the roles they take anymore. Anne Hathaway has even said that she's already losing jobs to actresses younger then her. Women already seem to have somewhat limited options when it comes to acting, it only gets worse around the time you hit 30-35.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That's always been a problem with a lot of women in the entertainment industry - I can still remember as a kid Billy and Mandy actually poking fun at that with Grim outraged over his favorite Elvira expy being fired for turning thirty. XD

Somehow, certain women are lucky enough to still get really decent work well into their advanced years: Elizabeth Montgomery became the queen of TV movies during her post-BEWITCHED years, and Sally Field continues to get fairly steady work as well. Halle Berry is doing TV now, and look and Jennifer Aniston: how many times has she played the thirtysomething, lonely, hopeless romantic?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I ended up finding this video on YouTube, and as someone from the south, I can sadly say that this is pretty much unfortunately a very accurate representation of the south's mentality of racism:

snichols1973

Reaction score
In RoboCop 2 (1990), OCP's head honcho, "The Old Man", makes the folowing statement in his proposed corporate bailout of Detroit:

"The Old Man": There's going to be a big call for this unit, and we'll make him right here in Detroit. That means jobs we can all be proud of, and make "Made in America" mean something again.

It's almost creepy how The Old Man's speech bears an ominous similarity to Trump's current campaign slogan of "Make America Great Again".

D'Snowth

Reaction score
All of these racist white people keep telling blacks, Hispanics, Muslims, and other ethnic groups to, "get out of our country," and "go back to where you came from!"

But you know what?

HEH!

This isn't even "our" country to begin with! If History is any indication, uh, we basically invaded this country, then stole it from those whom it really belonged to: the Native Americans. We raped their sacred land, then we drove them out and basically have relegated them to something similar to the concentration camps the Nazis kept the Jews in, only we call them reservations.

So, next time spoiled, entitled white people go on about how other ethnicities don't belong here? How about you go back to Europe where you came from?

cjd874

Reaction score
To the people who are protesting Alec Baldwin's...I mean Donald Drumph's presidency by marching outside Trump Tower: I understand where you're coming from, but it's not going to change the results of the election. I understand you're upset, afraid, and angry. I am too. But that doesn't mean we should all run out into the streets and scream "DOWN WITH TRUMP! NOT MY PRESIDENT!" We need to be more sensible, keep our composure, and bring about change in more logical ways. Ways that don't result in arrests, violence, vandalism, or death. At this point, the only way Hillary Clinton can get into office is if the majority of the Electoral College votes in her favor instead of Drumph's (sometime in December, if I'm not mistaken). But I'm uncertain if that is likely to happen...I'm afraid that it won't, and that worries me.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/politics/hillary-clinton-could-still-become-president-heres-how

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ways that don't result in arrests, violence, vandalism, or death.
That's pretty much how almost all of his rallies were when he was campaigning . . . is it any surprising that his winning the election would bring about this kind of backlash?

Then again, there would have been backlash if Hillary won too: the KKK threatened a genocide of black people if Hillary won, meanwhile the crazy, fanatic, right-wing loonatics said there would be an Occupy movement in fron of the White House if she won.

Either way, we were going to be screwed.

cjd874

Reaction score
That's pretty much how almost all of his rallies were when he was campaigning . . . is it any surprising that his winning the election would bring about this kind of backlash?

Then again, there would have been backlash if Hillary won too: the KKK threatened a genocide of black people if Hillary won, meanwhile the crazy, fanatic, right-wing loonatics said there would be an Occupy movement in fron of the White House if she won.

Either way, we were going to be screwed.
**** those people. It's so sad that America has come to this. I've been reading recent new reports about white supremacists who are flat-out shouting in black people's faces to return to Africa, or at Hispanics to go to Mexico and stay there. It's the most polarizing and infuriating election in recent memory. I really do hope the Electoral College can try to reverse this, but part of me says it might not happen.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've been reading recent new reports about white supremacists who are flat-out shouting in black people's faces to return to Africa, or at Hispanics to go to Mexico and stay there.
Yeah, check out what I said about four posts ago.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I figured there would be repercussions if Trump won. The protesters outside Trump Tower. When trying to get one to appear on camera and explain why they're protesting the most articulate one could get was "Trump's a p***y!"
But what was really disappointing was seeing students at American University burning the flag. This action is protected under First Amendment rights, but in my mind you're not much better than those in the Middle East that hate us. You burn the flag, you burn your bridges with this country. Then you should have no trouble moving to another country where your freedoms will not be tampered with.