1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

The "You know what?" thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by miss kermie, Aug 22, 2013.

1. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

When listening to Disco music, you absolutely MUST:

Wear a white jacket and pants
    Have shades on
    Wear your hair in a ridiculously huge afro
    Move your arm up and down with your finger pointed

muppet maniac likes this.
  2. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

The pioneers of funk:
    James Brown
    Sly Stone
    George Clinton (and his whole Parliament/Funkadelic empire)
    Bootsy Collins (a Clinton protégée who came into his own with Bootsy's Rubber Band).

Disco was more in the hands of producers like Giorgio Moroder, Robert Stigwood, and such. And most disco acts ended up on Neil Bogart's Casablanca label. Apart from KISS, the disco roster included the Village People, Donna Summer, and Lipps Inc.

3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I like Tom Hanks, he's a good actor and all, but I just don't know if I can see him as Mister Rogers . . . sure, he pulled off Walt Disney in SAVING MR. BANKS, but I just can't envision him as Mister Rogers. . . .

gavry3 likes this.
  4. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

How about Bob Ross then?

gavry3 likes this.
  5. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

TOM HANKS CAN PLAY ANYTHING AND ANYONE. POINT. BLANK. PERIOD

gavry3 and Froggy Fool like this.
  6. fuzzygobo

Tom Hanks has been more gracious than most about his film career.
    I remember first seeing him in the sitcom "Bosom Buddies" with Peter Scolari. Tom's career skyrocketed, Peter, meh (apart from his Newhart gig). But Tom lobbied to get him bit parts in several of his films.

Maybe as Mr. Rogers, Tom will have Peter cast as Mr. McFeeley (if not Trolley!) 8)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  7. D'Snowth

Hey @fuzzygobo, how about this for a disco tune that'll easily get stuck in your head?

fuzzygobo likes this.
  8. fuzzygobo

Nice bass line to it. This is actually pretty decent.
    The middle section could have easily been used for the opening theme for "CHiPS" and nobody would know the difference.

9. D'Snowth

And, uh, it also helps to have a visual aid while listening, such as this crazy piece by yours truly:
    https://simanettefan.deviantart.com/art/D-I-S-C-O-509862379
    :p :p :p

fuzzygobo likes this.
  10. fuzzygobo

While the show was on hiatus, this wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Burns actually looks hip in polyester. Can't see Winchester gettin' down.

11. D'Snowth

No, me either. Frank would have wanted to try to fit in . . . Charles on the other hand, he would definitely have dismissed disco culture altogether as another example of just how far western civilization had crumbled into a bohemian nightmare.

Plus, the record was released while Burns was still on the show, so it seems to fit better anyway.

12. D'Snowth

My nana died tonight, and . . . I honestly don't really know how I feel about it. I was never particularly close to her, and she really wasn't like the kind of cookie-baking, cheek-pinching, slobbery-kissing grandmothers you saw on TV (and she could be really, really strict with both my mom and aunt when they were growing up). On top of that, it was kind of inevitable this day was coming eventually: she's been in a nurse home with dementia for the past several years, so it's really been a slow decline, and it was obvious she was living on borrowed time. But, she's still family, so it's still sad just the same.

13. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss. My grandmother died 5 years ago as a matter of fact.

14. D'Snowth

I've found that I've somehow managed to do a passable job puppeteering with my left hand - or, at least, I can lip sync better with my left hand than I used to be able to (not sure if I can work rods with my right hand, because it's like my right hand can't compute that, lol), even though it obviously still doesn't feel natural like it does with my right hand, but I mean if I had to puppeteer with my left hand, I can at least do it now.

Froggy Fool likes this.
  15. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Yeah, same. I've been practicing with my left hand and can do a pretty passable job. The only problem is, my left arm isn't strong enough to stay up in the air nearly as long as my right.

Froggy Fool likes this.
  16. Froggy Fool

Froggy Fool Active Member

Wow, I'm the exact opposite. Make me puppeteer with my left hand and the puppet looks like one out of those crappy Christian public access shows, lol.

17. D'Snowth

That's what it was like for me way back when . . . it brought home the point Caroll Spinney once made that, "Your left hand is stupid when you're right-handed." But, I suppose like with almost anything else, if you keep practicing and trying your best, you can eventually get good enough to pass.

Froggy Fool likes this.
  18. Froggy Fool

I guess I just never saw the point in learning how to puppeteer with my left hand when people at Henson and Sesame Workshop don't really focus on that kind of thing. But I'm in the process of writing a script with a character who is supposed to be puppeteered horribly so I'll use my left hand for that I guess.

19. D'Snowth

Well I know at some point during the mid-70s, Jerry Nelson had a shoulder injury and he had to perform left-handed at the time (such as in the "Sex and Violence" TMS pilot). That's just a random example I can think of.

20. Froggy Fool

Oh really? I hadn't noticed that he was using his left hand in that.