Fraggle DVD coming this summer in the US

Let HIT know how much would you would pay for a 24-episode Fraggle season box set.

• I'd pay up to $39 per box set

Votes: 39 39.4%
  • I'd pay up to $59 per box set

Votes: 35 35.4%
  • I'd pay $79 or higher for a box set

Votes: 20 20.2%
  • I wouldn't buy a box set at any price

Votes: 5 5.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

beaker

Reaction score
Warrick said:
Guys, this is the story.

If we be silly and dont buy the single release DVD because "It only has two episodes" then we WILL NOT see any more releases.

The only way for us to get more releases, or indeed a boxset is to buy what they put out in the beginning.

They are calling this a TEST , Which means this will test if the market wants Fraggle Rock on DVD. If we dont buy it, then the test will fail and NO MORE will follow.

:smirk: <- Concerned
Oh no I get it...I for one will definately be buying this...I have them actually "officially" released from back in the day, but you know, its dvd. My only gripe other than the 2 episodes, is the possible $15 ? Two episodes is always denoted by $10...tho $10 does have the fell of a straight to the bargin bin.

At any rate, I encourage everyone to buy these. Hopefully HIT can get these into Hot Topic, Best Buy, etc.

Muppet Crypts

Reaction score
I AGREE LETS GET FRAGGLE'S ONTO BOX SETS OR AT LEAST BACK ON TV SO I CAN dvd-R THEM :flirt:

Sir Didymus

Reaction score
I definately will be buying 2 of these Dvds! And I will be telling all of my friends to get one! I will also be putting an announcement on my website!

Sir Didymus

Foodie

Reaction score
Warrick said:
Guys, this is the story.

If we be silly and dont buy the single release DVD because "It only has two episodes" then we WILL NOT see any more releases.

The only way for us to get more releases, or indeed a boxset is to buy what they put out in the beginning.

They are calling this a TEST , Which means this will test if the market wants Fraggle Rock on DVD. If we dont buy it, then the test will fail and NO MORE will follow.

:smirk: <- Concerned
I'm buyin' 2 doggonnit!
:smirk:

Nick

AndyL

Reaction score
jediX said:
If small dvd packs succeed, I can only see box sets being imminent. After all, before South Park and Spongebob became bestselling dvd season sets, they were released in smaller episode collections.
Has HIT ever done this? Have they ever upgraded from individual 'best of' disks to a boxed set? According to their web-site they seem to have rights to some popular shows, but I don't see any boxed sets available for sale.

For that matter, how often do you see boxed sets in Wal-Mart? Aren't those sorts of thing usually sold mail-order or in specialty stores? (I don't know actually, I rarely go to walmart. The local 'Super' wal-mart is literally larger than a city block and that disturbs me for some reason.)

Not that I'm giving up hope or anything. I just don't think a U.S.A. box-set release is as inevitable as it seems at first. Letter-writing is definitely called for. (Since it's all we can do.) Perhaps real non-email letters would help.

Fozzie Bear's excellent letter said:
The current tally of signatures includes those of performers [...]
Heh, I'll bet this part didn't impress them over-much.

Great letter though, much better then the shorter one I sent.

Wembley

Reaction score
The thing is that most of what HIT has are "children's" shows - not very well suited for "boxed set" release. Heck, most kids will happily watch the same episode of Barney over and over and over again. The thought of a Barney boxed set makes me shudder... many people who buy boxed sets are probably fans of a show, that are old enough to have money to buy them. Not a lot of three year olds have the cash to lay out $40 for a boxed set of a tv series.

Anyway, when Fraggle Rock first came out, it was on HBO - a cable pay-tv network. Remember, back in 1983, not a whole lot of folks had cable - and even fewer of those had HBO! Many of the people who saw Fraggle Rock proably saw it on Disney and TNT (IIRC). I'm willing to bet, though, that a lot of folks who watched Fraggle Rock back in the 80s, are now, 20 years later, having kids of their own and will see this disk, remember it from their childhood, and get it for their kids.

Oh, and by the way, I fix cellphones, and the Fraggle theme is one of the more popular ringtones I've seen (err... heard). And, every time I mention that there's a Fraggle DVD coming out, people recognize the name, and tell me that they HAVE to get it when it comes out. (Or, maybe it's the Gobo doll I put on my monitor at work....)

Just my thoughts.... :smirk:
-Rick "Wembley" Miller
..."You can NOT leave the magic!"

Camellia

Reaction score
Fraggle DVD

Phillip, thanks for posting the poll. I hope it does some good for the manufacturer and the set is produced for the general public. :smile:

keep us posted on it's release, if it's done. :smile:

thanks,
Camellia
visit our store for Muppet and Fraggle toys :smile:
www.camelliasoftware.com/muppetstore

Oliver

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I'm really tired of companies taking advantage of consumers in this fashion by releasing these cheap two episode, out-of-production-order, discs in order to "test the waters"...

Why should we consumers be forced to support a lackluster release and actually be expected to go out and purchase every single one of these properties for a desired television show, in order to "prove" that it's marketable, just so we can recieve proper releases later??

It's pretty obvious that "Fraggle Rock" is a commercially viable franchise here in North America, especially with the current 80's revival trend and nostalgia that fans are expressing for past cartoons and television series, it's been made apparent countless times by the fans and general public alike that "Fraggle Rock" is a long-desired series which would sell highly on DVD!

This is just ridiculous... I'm sorry but I absolutely refuse to "support" any such movement. Either release a quality product or don't bother!

I'm not going to be spending my hard-earned money on a thoughtlessly compiled disc featuring two episodes out-of-order, just to prove that HIT! can turn around and offer the public what they have ultimately been asking for after already spending money on a worthless 50 min. DVD soon to be made obsolete.

I'm surprised by how naive you all seem to be at the prospect of this obvious marketing ploy. It's one thing to offer a bonus disc with an episode or two as promotion or publicity campaign for a relative product as seen with the Mupper Babies DVD/plush toy to boost sales, but this is just careless and apathetic.

I have enough inclinations currently when it comes to DVD's, music, clothing, etc to put my income into... if I really want to watch 2 episodes of Fraggle Rock, I'll either pick up the UK disc or download the freakin episodes!

Obviously an official remastered R1 DVD release would be preferred, but not at the expense of manipulating me into purchasing such a ridiculously conceived gimmick as a such... I'd rather not "support" and buy a vcd off of Ebay or pop in a VHS!

If HIT! is reading this, this is one of the worst ideas ever, especially for a relatively new company in such a competetive market... set things off right, otherwise don't expect my support and I'm honestly surprised that so many others are not following this attitude.

Even companies like DIC or Image etc. release 3-5 episodes on single disc budget compilations that end up in Wal-Mart bargain bins, those retail for the same price!

Why bother mastering 50 minutes onto a DVD that can hold triple that capacity, if for nothing else than to prove however subtly you want to publicize, that you're only real interest with such a venture is to capitalize off a cheap substandard low-cost no-effort product.

Such stingy and insensible maneuvers will NOT prove prosperous with consumers in the DVD market...

This whole concept is lame, imo.

Sir Didymus

Reaction score
I think it's silly not to buy it, because it only has 2 episodes. I'm just thankful that one of the best shows ever made is finally available.

Sir Didymus

Oliver

Reaction score
Sir Didymus said:
I'm just thankful that one of the best shows ever made is finally available.
Why should we be "thankfull" when we are essentially funding these ventures?

Products are made available because consumer buy them.

If anyone should be "thankfull", it should be the companies who profit off of our spending.

Is this any way to express gratitude... offering us a substandard 50 min. DVD release of 2 individual episodes which are not even presented in production order?

This isn't 1998... it's no longer a developmental market, standards have been set.

To release these provisional DVD's with the expectation that fans will go ahead and "show support" so that the company can turn around and milk us for what we've ultimately been asking for is just ridiculous.

You're logic is skewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.